Backline 115 Review

manufacturer: Gallien-Krueger date: 03/03/2007 category: Bass Amplifiers
Gallien-Krueger: Backline 115
This combo puts the GK sound in its most affordable package ever, making it accessible to many more players! The Backline combos carry on the legacy of the GK product line.
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Backline 115 Reviewed by: bahizta-fclef, on march 03, 2007

Purchased from: JB Music

Sound: I mainly use all pickup positions on my RD500, from bridge humbucker to neck J-style. With my GK's wide range of tone controls and my Ibanez's versatility, I can dial in any tone I want from deep bass, to slap, to something that would sound like Flea. Anyways, I play different kinds of music such as alternative rock, funk, jazz, metal(sometimes). I can really dial in any tone to match whatever sound I want to achieve. It's noisy already when you turn both the master and boost near 10, always maintain a balance between the two, do not set both to high levels. The clean does sort of distort when it's already near full volume, but I don't think you'll need that much since it's already loud when turned halfway(just make a good mix between your bass's and amp's volume setting). The distortion is quite ok, you can adjust the gain to suit the level you want. I can copy the distortion used in Around The World (RHCP of course). The only problem is that when the overdrive channel is used, it sort of loses the bass range a bit. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is really dependable, I have Faith in this amp and I'm looking forward to play a gig using this thing. I suggest a cooler place though, since the vent up top kinda heats up when playing for long hours. This amp is also tough, I was climbing up the stairs when I slipped (I blame my shoes), may amp broke my fall, if it were'nt for it, I would have lost some of my teeth, broken a rib and sent to a hospital. After that, I immediately plugged it and surprisingly, no damage was done. It has a tough outer casing, very massive, can be cumbersome in some situations but it's all good! So far, this amp has not broken down, and I'm impressed. This would put to silence those bashers who gave low ratings to this product. Though I heard it's speaker is prone to breaking, if it happens, I'll just replace it with an Eminence speaker. But I don't think I would break down that easily. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I play various styles of music. As long as it is music to my ears. hahaha. Well, this amp is a good match with my playing styles since it is very versatile and I can dial in any tone I want(thanks to a 4-band EQ, voicing, contour and boost). I have been playing for almost 3 years now, I'm self taught but I appreciate help, advice and tips from experts. My rig includes an Ibanez RD500, Fender California cable(the surf green one) and a Behringer HB01 Hellbabe wah-wah pedal. I don't think I would have to ask anything else about this product (expect for a discount from the retailer). If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely get another one. If I had a bigger budget, I would probably choose from the higher-end Gallien-Krueger models, Fender Bassman amps, Hartke or Behringer. Of course, of similar size and power rating. I love the amp's power, all 175 watts of it! It looks pretty too, with a metal grille. Looks expensive, but not really. I love it's versatility, it gives me the freedom to dial in tones I want. The only thing I dislike about it is it's weight. I appreciate a good workout, but when when I'm tired after jamming, it's just cumbersome to lug it up a flight of stairs. But I like it's size though, some massive and intimidating bass amp. hahaha. My favorite feature would be it's controls, very flexible and you won't run out of tones to use. Well, I compared this with a Hartke Kickback 12(Audiophile never had Kickback 15 in stock) and a Behringer BXL3000. Of course, these amps are the best to fit my budget, I can't afford a Fender or Trace Elliot yet. I chose this product over the 2 others (Hartke And Behringer, though these are worth buying too) because the GK just perfectly fitted my sound preferences. I'm also aware that Flea (my idol of course) uses GK amps now, so that's a plus for me. Lastly, I just wish it had a horn tweeter so that it can handle the highs better. I also wish it had pulsating lights (like the Fender Rumble) and a headphone connector for silent practice. I would also recommend buying a lint brush and a cover. Dust easily clings on the carpeted bodywork and can go through the grille and onto the speaker, but it's easy to clean though. Other than that, we're all good! // 10

More Gallien-Krueger reviews rating category latest review
+ MB Fusion 8.8 Bass Amplifiers 09/06/2011