MB Fusion Review

manufacturer: Gallien-Krueger date: 09/06/2011 category: Bass Amplifiers
Gallien-Krueger: MB Fusion
This amp is fantastic. It has two channels which can be footswitchable. It has 3 12ax7 tubes in the preamp and a classD power amp.
 8.8
 9.6
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
MB Fusion Reviewed by: jjburritt, on september 06, 2011

Price paid: C$ 750

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Sound: I usually use this amp with an active Fender Precision Lyte or my active Precision special. I never change the eq on my basses. The clean channel (channel A) is impressive. With the gain setting low you can get a very smooth tube bass tone and if you crank the gain it distorts the tubes so you can get that Ampeg tone. Basically with channel A you can make your amp get any tone you want. Now Channel B is something else if you keep the gain low (9-10 o'clock) you get the classic gallien tone. Put it to 12 o'clock over driven Ampeg is there. Once you go higher it is pure tube overdrive but you never lose the bottom end. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I take good care of my stuff. It seems to be well built and hasn't let me down yet // 8

Overall Impression: I was looking for a portable amp so I was trying Markbass, genz benz, Ampeg portaflex, Eden world tours and aguilar and the gk fusion. I found that the features and tone of Channel A could capture all the tones of the above amps I listed. But I also like the classic gk tone for many situations. I play in my church and also in a 90's style grunge band and have done some session bass playing and this amp has served me very well in all these situations. If it were stolen (I would never lose it) I would buy another or to save some money I might buy its solidstate brother the MB2 500. It sounds very similar but doesn't have tubes in the preamp and is 200 bucks cheaper. And I will never give a piece of equipment a 10 cuz there is always something different and or better out there :) // 8

More Gallien-Krueger reviews rating category latest review
+ MB 115 8.8 Bass Amplifiers 07/25/2011