A100 Review

manufacturer: Hartke date: 10/10/2006 category: Bass Amplifiers
Hartke: A100
The biggest A Series features 100 Watts and a 15" aluminum speaker. It features a 7 band graphic EQ for finer tone control. It also has a variable limiter built-in. CD input, XLR balanced outputs, passive and active inputs, effects loop, headphone jack and chrome hardware. All in a KickBack design cabinet.
 8.5
 9.8
 7.1
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
A100 Reviewed by: the_guy, on october 10, 2006

Sound: I'm using it with an Encore PK40 (not good) with the worst single coil pickups ever, however it sounds excellent. When the amp is set to a very bassy setting, it makes the world vibrate, very powerful. The low notes are deep and rich and the high ends are crisp and tight. My bass doesn't do it enough justice but it should sound awesome with a better bass. It is not noisy, except when the tone on the bass is turned up to the full, but this is down to the dreadful Encore pickups. It is very easy to get the sound you want from this amp because of the amount of settings for the EQ. You can aget a nice deep rock tone, as well as a decent slap tone. I really like the sound of this amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is fairly portable for an amp of 100 watts and it feels solid and well made. All the controls seem well made and well screwed on. It hasn't broken down, and Hartke amps are usually dependable. The speaker grille is kickproof and solid, unlike the one on the Marshall Bass State series, which I also tried. I would use this amp at a gig without a backup because I can't see this amp going wrong. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock/alternative style music and this is a amp is a great match because of the range of sounds, it has crisp high notes, punchy mids and deep lows. It is very versatile and it would be great for funk/jazz as well. I've been playing for nearly 2 years and I own a Encore PK40, which I'm hopefully going to replace in a few months time. I tried out a Marshall B65 and a B150, and I chose this amp beacuse I found it more able to cope with different styles of music. I fit were stolen/lost I would definitely buy again, but I would also consider an Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180, because of the Ashdown name, the wattage for the price and the fact there is a jack for plugging in extension cabs. I still think this amp would be better though. I don't dislike anything about it, and I like everything about it apart from the fact there is no extension jack. Otherwise, this is a top quality amp from one of the most underrated brands around. // 10

More Hartke reviews rating category latest review
+ Bass Attack VXL 7.6 Bass Effects 11/29/2012