KBA 10X Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 07/17/2007 category: Bass Amplifiers
Kustom: KBA 10X
The KBA 10X is a 16-watt combo amplifier for bass guitars. It features an 8-inch speaker a 3-Band Active EQ to dial in your tone and a built-in Limiter. The cabinet itself is built to last, with a heavy vinyl covering, protective corners, and a metal speaker grill. Portable and practical, the KBA 10X is a rock solid performer that you can depend on.
 Features: 6.8
 6.5
 7.2
 5.8
reviews (4) 3 comments vote for this gear:
KBA 10X Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 27, 2006

Sound: I'm currently using an Encore P-Bass rip off which has split coil pickups. The pickups themselves are noisy as I have used this amp with humbuckers totally clear though the amp does have this little ringing sound sometimes. I play punk and metal and it works. I can get a Mike Dirnt style more like his earlier work when he was using a Gibson instead of a Fender. I can also get a very metal style with the low knob turned all the way up just a hint of distortion but very low just today when I was playing Master Of Puppets I was in heaven. When you are really hammering away with a pick or pluck the hell outta your bass the signal tends to break up into really gritty distortion, beyond any use really. This amp will allow you to use guitar effects pedals which I find convienent. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This amp like most things nowdays is built solid. The drummer has knocked it over countless times and I have knocked it over now and again and it keeps on playing as good as ever. // 8

Overall Impression: I rated this amp on how it suited me so my ratings mighnt really matter but if the descriptions of what I play match you then it works well. This amp is a good amp if it was lost or stolen I wouldn't get it again though I might stay within the Kustom brand. I got this because its a starter amp, thats what I wanted and thats what I got. The only fault I can find with it is the wierd ringing that I mentioned earller and the distorting of the signal when playing gets fast and furious. I'd reccomend this amp to a beginner and I believe the bassist from trivium uses a Kustom cab so there ya go. // 6

KBA 10X Reviewed by: the_guy, on october 09, 2006

Sound: I'm using an Encore PK40 with single coil pickups through it, and even though it isn't the greatest bass in the world, it sounds quite good as long as you keep the volume down. Turn it up past halfway and it goes beyond the limit and buzzes when you play a note aggresively or try to slap. But keep it below that and you get a nice clean punchy tone, especially low end, so it suits my rocky style of playing. The amp doesn't produce much static noise even around computers etc. but turn the tone knob up on the bass and it crackles quite badly. This is mainly down to the single coils of my bass though. It isn't the most versatile amp, as there are only three EQ knobs, so finding the ideal sound can be difficult, but it's a beginners amp, so what do you expect? I wouldn't use it at a gig, well, because it isn't nearly powerful enough. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've owned this amp for 1 year and a half now, and it hasn't missed a beat, one of the most dependable things I've ever owned. I'm a bit of a clumsy person and I have bashed it about a bit but it still feels a solid as ever. There is never a felling that it will break. The materials used are solid and they speaker protecter is very strong. I wouldn't use this particular amp at a gig but I would definitely use other Kustom products at a gig without backups. // 10

Overall Impression: Although it isn't the most powerful amp in the world, it is a good choice for a beginning bassist. It suits my style of play (rock), but those wanting more control over the tone should look elsewhere, because this amp isn't versatile enough. I've been playin for 1 and a half years now and I also own a 100w Hartke A100 amp (superb amp). I wish that I had asked what other amps I could get for the same price as the Kustom though. If it were stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy another one as it isn't powerful enough but I would recommend Kustom products to other people. I love the fact that this amp is just a proper beginners amp. It's inexpensive, simple, never breaks and has most of the basic features you need. I dislike the fact that it is only 10 watts (a Fender Rumble 15 has only 5 more watts but it makes a hell of a difference), and the way it buzzes at high volumes. This amp came in a package so I had no choice but it still sounds reasonable even compared to more expensive products. I wish it had a) a CD input and b) more watts, but that is where my 100w Hartke comes in. Overall, this is pretty good amp for beginners. // 7

KBA 10X Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2007

Purchased from: Mothers Music

Sound: When I purchased this amp I had an Ibanez SR1000EWN Prestige bass which sounded great on it. And just last year I baught a Warwick corvette 5 string bass which when I played my B string the amp didn't sound to great. I guess it just doesnt't play the low sounds as nicely. I play metal and rock style music and when I play fast or whith notes close together it doesn't sound out too well. the amp only makes clean sound and when the amp is cranked it makes a buzzing sound. I used my Bass PODXT Live foot station with this amp and it over powered it with destortion. // 5

Reliability & Durability: Durability wise it's pretty damn stable. I was carrying my gitar and my amp down the stairs at my drummers apartment and dropped it down like 2 flights of stairs and all that happened was the volume knob fell off and I lost it. The sound of the amp didn't change and nothing on it snapped off or bent. This is a very strong amp. // 8

Overall Impression: I baught this amp because I was looking for a small practice amp and I have a Kustom KPM 8420 mixer, an Kustom EF-15 Speaker that I use for my shows so I they are amazing, So I figured that I should try out one of thier amaller product for practicing and I do use it alot. it's small enough that I can use it in my appartment and not make anyone angry. If I had it stolen I would definately buy a new one because for the price it's an amazing amp. // 8

KBA 10X Reviewed by: the metal bassi, on july 17, 2007

Purchased from: Louis Alexander Music

Sound: At low bedroom allowed volumes this amp sounds great however, the higher the volume goes it becomes heavily distorted, this may suit some peoples style great, but not mine. With everyone, people like their own sound/tone and with this amp you can easily make your own sound with the EQs. I purchased this amp in a set containing this and an Epiphone eb0 beginner bass. I must say I'm not to keen on both of these together as I personnally don't like the Epiphone. When I combined both of these I would of given it a rating of 3 out of 10. However, when I took this amp to my dads and plugged his bass into it, I must say it sounded beautifull! I don't actually know the exact model of my dads bass but I do know it's a Yamaha in the bb series. So basically this amp won't make a crap bass sound great but will make a good bass sound great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is highly dependable! I have dropped this amp so many times without even a small dent made, I also once got this amp completely soaked walking to school in the rain, and it sounded fine afterwards. (If you were wondering, I dried it off before playing). Recently, me and my band played in the school play and for the performances I used this amp, and strangely it truly fit the bill. I didn't need to put it too loud so no distortion problems arose. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal, grunge and rock through this amp, but also the odd blues riff or jazz line, and they all sound great. The makers of this amp made it to fit all styles of music. The only complaint I have about this amp is that the higher the volume, the higher level of distortion made although, on a low volume no distortion is present and it gives a very warm clean tone. If this was stolen I would definately go out and buy it again because it portable and great sounding. In conclusion, if your are looking for a practice/bedroom use amp, stop searching, you've found it! // 8

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ KXB200 8.2 Bass Amplifiers 11/26/2014