KBA 16X Review

manufacturer: Kustom date: 01/06/2006 category: Bass Amplifiers
Kustom: KBA 16X
This amp is a good practice amp, it is basically good for every music style.
 Features: 6.5
 7.4
 7.8
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
KBA 16X Reviewed by: ai4281, on january 06, 2006

Purchased from: Local Shop

Sound: I use this amp with a fretless Ibanez and BTB405QM, all with stock EQ and pickups. This amp can pull anything with little tweaking in the eq area. It's really noisy at high volumes but so are almost every other amp in the market. I used to use this at band practice, with a double bass drummer, and this amp was almost loud enough for me to be heard. Since the speaker is only 10 inches or something, it distorts at high volumes. At low volumes, this amp sounds mighty fine! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I dropped this amp from my car a few times, and I kranked it a lotta times, but hell, I haven't seen a slightest hint of this thing breaking down. This amp can take any beating! // 10

Overall Impression: I have a broad style range and this amp suits for all of them, although it takes time to set up for diffrent styles. I've been playing for almost 2 years, and I don't think I'm gonna buy another amp soon since I don't gig much. If this amp was stolen I would get SVTs, its worth the ridiculously high price, but rightnow I'm a little short of cash so I'm sticking with this one. I compared this amp to other maker amps of same size and the only thing better were Custom-made amps, Ampegs, and Mesas. // 8

KBA 16X Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2005

Purchased from: Local shop

Sound: My bass is a $300 Ibanez with stock pickups (passive), and I play metal mostly, but also some jazz, classical, and funk. I gotta say it does not furfill my needs 100%, but I can live with it. This amp is pretty loud for a 16 watt. I have used two of these connected, for a small club gig. I would not recommend this amp for gigs or band practice, because when you turn it up to match the double bass drum sound, it gets little distorted, and there's noises. I have this DigiTech multieffect, and when I use distortion at high volumes, you can only hear the screaming feedbacks, nothing else. This amp is only good for practice alone, or practice with guitar. I wish this had an active EQ and some noise gate built in it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As I said before, this amp is a practice amp, and unless you have 4 of these connected together, you shouldn't gig with this. This amp is pretty well made, I never broke this, or made a dent on this. // 8

Overall Impression: For pretty much every kind of music, this works (with some knob twisting). I have been playing for 1 year, and I can get Cliff Burton sound with this. If this was lost, I would buy a Gallien-Krueger Stack ($700) for replacement, cause this is a practice amp. I love the deep sound this has, but I hate the noise. for this size, this is definitely the best, but for gigs and stuff, I recommend at least half stacks. // 8

More Kustom reviews rating category latest review
+ HV100THD 8.4 Guitar Amplifiers 08/21/2014