RB1 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 09/22/2008 category: Bass Amplifiers
Laney: RB1
The Laney RB1 - the 'baby' of the new Richter line up probably stands out more than the rest simply due to its ability to kick out an enormous amount of sound from such a portable cabinet.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.2
 8.8
 9.6
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
RB1 Reviewed by: matthewchj, on september 22, 2008

Sound: I'm using it with a completely stock Yamaha bass with p/j pickups, and it sounds sweet through the amp. Really awesome tone versatility, as I said. Not noisy at all, I turned the amp up to full with the volume on the bass about halfway, but no noise. But I must say, the amp is really loud for 15w. I was playing in a hall, and it somehow managed to overpower a mic'ed keyboard when the amp was at full volume and bass at half volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid. Really, really heavy and hard. I'm really big, and I can sit on it and play without fear of it breaking. It's been with me for about 2 months, and no problems so far. I've gigged it once, and my friend gigged it once as well (he mic'ed it). It's only 15 watts, though, so I probably wouldn't gig with it if I was playing with a guitarist or a drummer. But for small gigs like the one above, I'd definitely not need a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: For a small little 15w amp, it's pretty darn impressive. Really love it's tone. If it was lost or stolen I'd probably cry a little, then I'd either buy a new one, or save up and get a bigger Laney amp. // 10

RB1 Reviewed by: Anson93, on august 25, 2008

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: Rajen Music

Sound: I used to use this bass with my Squier J-Bass but that wasn't much good so I got a Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5-String about 2 months ago with Schecter Humbuckers. I play in a metal band and to get a really punchy bass sound that I like to use, I think it really depends on the bass when using this amp. My old Squier which I hardly use anymore had about 2 different settings combined with the amp that sounded alright, but with the Schecter its really easy to get that punchy sound, which is really all I aim for. There isn't much static in this amp even when I turn it to 10 at band practice. As long as your bass is at least 2 metres away from it, you will have almost no static and even if you sit on it you hardly get any. On full volume, there is only the slightest trace of distortion with the gain on 0. The distortion isn't really for my style but I usually put the gain on about 3-4 for a little extra volume. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable from my experiences. I've dropped it 2 or 3 times, not very serious, and knocked it on a lot of walls, but it still works perfectly fine. The only thing that has changed is a very slight rattling when I pick it up and move it, but I think that's the speaker. It has a carpet covering and metal on all the corners. There is a very strong metal grille covering the speaker. I can really depend on this amp not to break and it has never not worked for me. I wouldn't recommend performing with this because of the volume issue but if I did I wouldn't take a backup because it just won't break. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp can suit any style of music really, as long as you have the right bass and/or pedals. But for the punchy sound I like, my bass and amp combination works pretty well. I sometimes put it through a DigiTech RP300A guitar pedal mainly for wah, distortion, reverb and some mod-effects and that works fine as well. If I lost it or it got stolen I think it would be a great excuse to get a better amp. I think the best part is the very low amount of static it gives but the worst part is the lack of features/dials. I just went for the cheapest amp and cheapest bass in the store because I wasn't sure if I was really going to go through with bass guitar so I didn't do any reasearch ar compare any other amps. // 7

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014