RB8 Review

manufacturer: Laney date: 01/22/2007 category: Bass Amplifiers
Laney: RB8
A serious bass player?s combo: The Richter RB8 offers a 300 watt output stage, 15" custom Celestion speaker, switchable HF horn, bass, treble and 7 band graphic mid, switchable compressor and switchable limiter in a road-ready cabinet with top and side handles.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
RB8 Reviewed by: michael_bryant, on august 01, 2006

Purchased from: GAK

Sound: I play in a punk/rap metal band. This amp is loud and deep enough to punch a brilliant bass line. I have 3 guitars that I use, a 4-string P-Bass, with a single P-Bass pickup. A 5-string Jazz bass, with bridge and neck pickups, and a 4-string bass with bridge and neck humbuckers. All of them perform admirably, compared to my old amp this is unbeleivable. It brings out some awesome slap tonality with a P-Bass. It can easily handle the 5 string, this is where the compressor comes into play. My favourite tones are the ones produced by the twin humbuckers. The sound is just so raw and meaty. This amp really is good at handling a huge range of basses and tones. // 10

Reliability & Durability: When I first got the amp, I was let down. There was a dry solder inside the cabinet which took a bit of warming up and a hit on the head to get it working everytime I played. Laney were brilliant. I went through the problems with the guys and they told me exactly what it could be, and advised I sent it back through my retailer. Gak.com were also good. They arranged and payed for the courier to pick it up, on a day that suited me. And Laney had it back to them within 2 weeks. And I had it back within 3 in total (my fault, I didn't check my emails when GAK told me they had it back). Since then it has been a dream, you turn it on, wait 2 seconds, and full volume is yours. Great for fast change overs at gigs etc. I would be fully prepared to use this amp without a backup. I'd give this 9. It did go wrong first off, but hasn't since. // 9

Overall Impression: For what I do, this amp is perfect. Gigs in clubs, large pubs and other smaller venues, this'll do it. Also, with the option of an extension cabinet adding 250 watts to the total 300 OEM, this amp could probably do larger venues. It is also capable of doing outdoor venues, with the volume quite high though. There is a minor hinderence that I experience for every gig I ever do. The weight. I would swear by it, that Laney have put weights in this amp. It weighs around 33kg! This amp could do with wheels. But, provided there are no wires on the bottom of the inside, it would be easy enough to screw some on. Where transport is concerned, you need an estate. I never feel comfortable lying an amp down. Also, if you can stand it up in the back its easier to get out. Two people would be a Godsend. I personally like the tone, and the volume. Its not like other amps where as you turn it up higher and higher you lose tone. It's perfect tone all the way. My favourite feature is the 7 band EQ, hard at first, but by God, when you get it right, it's gorgeous. I must have tried a million amps before settling on this one. For one main reason. The price. I could not find an amp with 300 watts for less than this one. Nor could I find one as good. I wish that this had wheels, simple as that. 10/10 overall, for being the best purchase of my bassist career! // 10

RB8 Reviewed by: Caustic, on january 22, 2007

Sound: I'm using it with my trusty, long-suffering but never failing Warwick Rockbass Fortress bass guitar, an active P/J setup. As stated before, it suits my style of music very well and I have No Doubt it can adapt easily to suit any changes I make in my playing. It is very responsive and shapable. I only detect the slightest hiss, that is, when I flick the tweeter horn on. But I expected that due to all the high end frequencies being picked up. The hiss is low and disappears when you start hitting notes. With the tweeter disengaged, the amp is impeccably clean, even when I shape the EQ to accentuate the highs, and solo my single coil pickup. As far as controlling your sound goes, it has gain and master volume, a seven band EQ and bass boost/cut & treble boost/cut knobs. It has a "compression" Switch that admittedly doesn't make a lot of difference, but could be handy if you lack a compression stomp box. It also has an "enhance" knob that Laney are sort of vague with in their description of it's function. My experiments with it seem to show it fills out your bottom end, but also tightens it. Something jazz fusion and funk players might find useful. I find notching it up a little when I play with a pick helps. I've found no distortion, but if you want a "dirty" bass tone, then spinning the gain a bit higher can push it in that direction. For actual distortion or overdrive, you want to invest in the appropriate pedal, because you can push this thing hard before it breaks up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have yet to gig with it, but from what I can see of its build quality, I would cheerfully rely on it without a backup. No, the amp has not broken down, but I haven't owned it for a great deal of time. As with all of my reviews, I say I'll update with any relevent information. I can't put an "n/a" and don't want to affect the overall score, so it's getting an eight. // 8

Overall Impression: I have stated this is a fantastic match for my style a few times already, but it's worth repeating. Outside of band situation, I jam along to all kinds of music, from reggae to jazz to metal. Some fiddling with the EQ system is all it needs to change from that big, rumbling reggae bass tone to a tight jazz fusion sound to a dirty as sin metal growl. With my Warwick, it definately leans towards the rock end of things, but I tried it out in store with a Fender P, a Fender J and a MusicMan copy. It brought out the unique tones of each very naturally, and didn't "mask" the tone of the guitar like some amps can do. I would tear my hair out looking for it if it was lost or stolen, then go straight out and sell a kidney to get the cash to buy a replacement. This thing an apparently be hooked up to an extension cabinet that doesn't cut the internal speaker, so it's a nice starting point for a pseudo-stack. Certainly would recommend this to the bassist Who needs a tough, reliable rig to play anything up to medium sized venues, but also needs to afford the rent and eat each week. Similarly priced combos like the Fender Rumble just don't compare in wattage, sound or quality. I have always been on the sidelines as far as gear goes, I'm of the breed of musician that is deadly serious about sound quality, but just couldn't afford the equipment I needed. Thanks to Laney, I've found the solution. This is recommended to anyone in my position, where total earning and total spending are frighteningly similar and there's little to spare for such an indulgent and costly interest such as this. // 9

More Laney reviews rating category latest review
+ LV100 9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/31/2014