LowDown LD150 Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 12/10/2012 category: Bass Amplifiers
Line 6: LowDown LD150
LowDown LD150 delivers five carefully crafted amp models that can take you from vintage punch to modern grind. You also get a critical set of effects that no bass player should be without.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.7
 8.8
 9.2
 8.3
reviews (4) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
LowDown LD150 Reviewed by: ryenzio1, on august 18, 2007

Sound: I use this amp with a Dean Playmate, and for such a cheapo bass, it sounds awesome with this amp. The lowend is totally awesome and rattles the windows. The gain can go from the slightest hint of overdrive to the heaviest possible distortion (although the distortion does suck out a bit of the lowend, just like a Big Muff or Tube Screamer would). The overdrive is great though, and responds to how hard you are playing, as does the envelope filter. The volume will go as high as you want and the clean channel stays clean. The only thing making unwanted noise is the pictures on the walls. It suits just about any style: Rock, Blues, R&B, Funk, Jazz, or Metal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very sturdy and rugged. The cab is made of some nice hard wood, and covered with thick carpet. The speaker is protected by a metal grille, and the knobs are nice and heavy. It's just barely too big to carry with one hand, but one person can easily carryy it by themselves. It's never broken down on me, and I don't think I would need a backup for it. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is a good match for just about any style. I compared this to an SWR WorkingPro, a Fender Rumble, and a Fender Bassman, and they just didn't compare. This thing has an endless array of tones. If someone stole this baby I'd get it again, except maybe I'd go for the 300 watt model. Believe me though, this ones already loud enough for any small or medium gig. I've been playing for less than a year and in my opinion this is a way better second amp than the Fender Rumble 100 that everybody seems to have. This ones louder, sounds nicer, and has so many more features (ok, so it doesn't have the pretty red light, but oh well). The only thing I wish it had that it doesnt't is maybe a horn for the more trebly sound. I usually go with the earth shattering low end a la John Paul Jones, but occasionally I want the more modern feel. The larger models with the 15 inch speakers both have the horn, but apparently they couldnt find room for it in the 12 incher. // 9

LowDown LD150 Reviewed by: Bygde, on april 28, 2008

Sound: I normally play 2 basses with this amp. The first one is an Eagle AB VI (6-string, active), and my homebuilt bass (4-string, passive J-style). Both basses sound amazing through it, and I play everything from metal to funk, and a lot of other styles, and the amp performs amazing. It's extremely versatile, and I like that my FBV Express pedal from my Spider III 30 guitar amp works with this amp, so channel switching is possible when playing. Also the distortion is awesome! I haven't had the time to tinker around with sounds (bought this like a week ago), but it gets very close to the sounds that Fear Factory uses, and maybe with a 5-string J-bass, it would sound identical. I've played this amp at fairly high volume, and it handles it extremely good! No distortion at all! A world apart from my old 16w amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Nothing has happened so far, but as I said, I've only been a proud owner for a week. I wouldn't even think of getting a backup at all, it seems really sturdy, and reliable. The "cab" feels well built, and there's a sturdy metal grill in front of the speaker, so it should be protected if something bad would happen to it. // 10

Overall Impression: If this amp was stolen, I wouldn't buy a new one. I'd buy two, just in case it would happen again. Before deciding to buy this, I tried a Gallien-Krueger Backline 115, and a Hartke Kickback 15, and althought the Hartke sounded amazing, the Line 6 was a bit more versatile, and had some things the Hartke lacked. The only thing this lacks is a 1/4" out jack, for recording. I think it can be done through the headphone jack (my guitar amp has the same for recording and headphones), so it might not be a problem. It does have XLR out, so it isn't really a big deal if you have some form of mixing table (which I don't). A small problem on an awesome product though. // 10

LowDown LD150 Reviewed by: HalfMoonBay98, on december 10, 2012

Purchased from: A Friend

Sound: I use a Fender Squire Affinity P-Bass, it has the regular pickups on it. I mostly play hard rock and this amp works very well with it. Sometimes the bass will overwhelm the rest of the band so I have to turn that down a lot so nobody complains. But it's usually at my youth group that it bugs them. It has a chorus, filter, octaver(which is broken on mine), overdrive, synth (which is also broken), and different equalizer settings on the far left. It isn't distorted too much, but I usually never get to play loud. That distortion setting is such a monster. I love using it when I have the chance to. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp for just about anything. The equalizer settings are: Clean, R&B, Rock, Brit, Grind, and Synth. I would totally use this anywhere I could. It has never broken down on me at all. Some of the paint on the front is scratched off because I had to fit it in the back of a small trunk and it got scratched off. The only things that don't work are a couple effects and stuff. I turn to this amp for everything I play. I haven't tried to see if a mic would work well through it though. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and the amp delivers the sound I want perfectly. I've been playing for almost a year now. I also own an acoustic Ibanez bass, a Berhinger overdrive pedal, and a Memphis bass, currently under repairs. I think this amp is perfect just the way I bought it. I'm actually thinking of selling it for a smaller amp, this amp is amazing, but it's pretty big and heavy and hard to carry around. I just love how I can plug an electric guitar into it and make it sound good as well as a bass. I hate how big it is and how hard it is to transport everywhere. My favourite feature is the overdrive. I bought it because I really needed some equipment, and the price was great so I took it.

// 10

LowDown LD150 Reviewed by: Tabassco, on october 21, 2008

Price paid: € 350

Purchased from: Key Music Belgium

Sound: I play an Ibanez SRX 590, and I play all sorts of styles: metal, blues, funk, jazz, reggae. The Line 6 Lowdown is not noisy at all. Sometimes, I even forget it is on. The only setting it is a bit noisy is the grind distortion channel. The amp's versatility lacks a bit of colour, but I can get most tones out of it I want. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I said before, this is a sturdy amplifier. It has been bumped against, rolled around etc. and it has never, ever let me down. I never gig with a backup amp, just for the simple reason I don't have one. I have done about 20 gigs with it, and never had any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp suits any genre or any kind of bass player, if you don't have the cash to cough up to buy a Laney or Hartke. I've been playing on it, approximately one hour a day, and it still does it's job well. If it were stolen, I'd probably buy an other amp, because I've got a little more spare money now. A lovely detail about it by the way, is it's furry finish. // 8

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review