Little Mark III Review

manufacturer: Markbass date: 10/29/2012 category: Bass Amplifiers
Markbass: Little Mark III
The main thing about this amp for me is the balanced input, the Low and Hi Mid controls and the level control for the DI.
 Features: 7.5
 9.3
 8.7
 9.8
reviews (2) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Little Mark III Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2011

Price paid: A$ 999

Purchased from: Nepean Music

Sound: I play a 20yo MusicMan Stingray 5 and a Godin A5 Fretted. I struggle to find a shit sound with this amp. I put all the knobs at 12 oclock and it sounds ace but with a bit of tweaking I've discovered the holy grail: An amp that can sound great for finger style playing AND slap and pick-style, without needing to be re-tweaked! This is another first for me. I've had a Hartke (yuck) and an Ashdown ABM before this and I could get whatever sound I liked from them but without that versatility. I say that but now after hearing this amp I've worked out that I was only coming close to getting the sound I wanted - it was always just that little bit lacking. The answer for me was the Low and High Mid controls. The low mid gives it a lot more punch and the high mid can be tweaked so it just hides in the back ground and till you up your attack. I use a Schroeder 1212L with this amp and its like having a combo with power. I'm giving the sound a 10 because its just faultless. I thought about getting the Tube version and even the Rocker version but decided the sound out of this was good enough and didn't need complicating. For distorted sounds I just use a Boss Bass Overdrive (OD3) and a Sansamp DI and its rock heaven... // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long enough to worry at this stage however I've never read many issue re reliability. As far as durability, I certainly wouldn't want to drop it and I wont be resting a beer on it anytime soon but I don't think it needs to be wrapped in cotton wool either. The knobs feel nice and secure and it has a sense of ruggedness about its construction. I'll give it an 8 only because the case I got with it had a busted zip which cost me a staggering $3.50 to get fixed at the Vietnamese laundry near my house. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music ranging from blues to funk, hip-hop, rock and heavy metal to jazz and experimental - its works for everything. Mind you I just use the same tone for everything ha ha. If you're sick of needing someone to help you carry your rig upstairs and want to sell the station wagon for a hatchback AND want to improve your tone by a lot... get one of these. // 9

Little Mark III Reviewed by: Rher1can, on october 29, 2012

Price paid: C$ 699

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Sound: I'm playing with a stock Fender Jag Bass, and it suits my southern styles perfectly with the VPF knob at about 10 o' clock. Rolling back the VPF knob would bring out the high and low end more to suit a more technical style, should you need. I haven't noticed any excess noise, but I haven't turned the pre-gain knob past 11 o' clock. This amp can really pump, though if you're looking for a really transparent tone you might want to look elsewhere. I haven't experienced any breakup at high volumes, again though, I've never had reason to turn it past 12 o' clock. The gain is quite tasteful, not overdone, as long as you're not out to fry your input. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This head is a tank. Feels solid and sturdy as a brick. I would and do confidently gig with it without backup, just keep your beverage of choice off your cabinet. I haven't had it for too long, not long enough to judge the durability, but the S/S circuitry should be reliable enough. // 10

Overall Impression: For any genre of music where a solid bassline is a must, this amp should be a perfect match. It has just enough push to cut through the mix, with the modest VPF knob to dial back any overpowering frequencies. I've been playing bass for 4 years now, and guitar for 8. I own a Fender Jag Bass, GK Neo 4x10, Traynor YBA200 and misc. Pedals. I didn't ask a single question when I bought this head, I simply plugged it in and let it speak for itself. I only regret not plugging it in sooner. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I love the tight focused sound and the massive EQ range. The VLE knob has remained mostly unused but the VPF knob is a beautiful creation. I would have liked another speaker out, but I believe the matching MB cab has a daisy out, which will suffice. I was actually going to buy a GK Fusion before I saw this, fortunately my local shop had sold it and I tried this one. Took her home that day because the tone had just floored me. I wish it had a limiter/compressor. That's about the only feature that would have really completed the package.

// 8

More Markbass reviews rating category latest review
+ CMD 102P 9.4 Bass Amplifiers 06/16/2011