Crush PiX 100BXT Review

manufacturer: Orange date: 07/21/2014 category: Bass Amplifiers
Orange: Crush PiX 100BXT
When I started playing it in the store I was instantly taken back by the amazing tones it was capable of. As well, this amp has an effects loop which is such a big bonus in this price range, and a tuner that works really well.
 Ease of Use: 9
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Crush PiX 100BXT Reviewed by: guitarkarate1, on july 21, 2014

Ease of Use: It's an amp, with straight-forward controls, meaning it's fairly easy to use. It has a four-band EQ, which encompasses treble, high-mid, low-mid and bass controls, which respond very, very well, unlike the GK MB115 I owned previous to this amp. When it comes to musical equipment, my loyalty is earned, and Orange has earned it when it comes to their bass amps. I also would like to note that it looks extremely bad-a-s with the black mesh and orange tolex. Once you see it in person you will instantly have a feeling of quality about this amp - online stuff does this amp no justice. I know I'm raving about this amp, but it truly deserves it. // 9

Sound: I've been through numerous bass amps in this price range, from a GK MB115 to an Ampeg BA115, and even a Fender Rumble 150, but the Orange takes the cake by a long shot. I am able to get any sound/tone out of this amp - from metal, to classic rock, to bluesy bass lines, to funk, to slap, to smooth jazzy lines, this amp won't let you down. It has such a nice, smooth tone, and once the gain gets going, it will make your face melt. It has a 15 inch speaker, which translates in to a low growl that will leave you smiling. One thing I think is worth noting is that even at high volumes, this amp remains quiet with no hissing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is build like a brick shithouse. It weighs about 60 lbs, and it's finish is sturdy and reliable. I've had this amp for a while now, and it is definitely sturdy and reliable. It gets loud too, and you can easily blow a hard-hitting drummer away one you find the balance between volume and gain. Considering it's solid-state, there isn't much to worry about internally. Mine has been to a few gigs and it gets the job done perfectly, while taking the abuse in the back of the van. It has the odd scratch, but the infamous orange tolex is holding up much better than I initially thought it would. // 9

Overall Impression: At first I was deterred. It seemed like it was just another cheap crappy bass amp, but boy was I wrong. I started playing it in the store and was instantly taken back by the amazing tones it was capable of. As well, this amp has an effects loop which is such a big bonus in this price range, and a tuner that works really well. I've never been a fan of built-in tuners, but this one is actually pretty good. If it were stolen I would buy a new one, as it gets everything I need done. I have compared this amp to many others, such as the ones I've owned and listed above. I know there are barely any reviews on this amp, which is why I whipped this one up. I am so impressed by it that I felt I needed to share my opinion. I've been playing bass for roughly 5 years, and guitar for 7. In other words, I've been around the block with amps, and I know a quality one when it presents itself. Don't take my word for it though - if you're in the market for a bass amp in the $400 to $600 range, head to your local music shop and try one of these out! You won't regret it! // 9

More Orange reviews rating category latest review
+ Micro Terror 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 08/26/2014