Basic 112 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 06/09/2008 category: Bass Amplifiers
Peavey: Basic 112
Basic combo, low, low-mid, high-mid, high equalization bright switch, pre-gain about fifty-three lbs. Excellent beginner amp.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Features: 8.7
 8.3
 8.7
 7.8
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Basic 112 Reviewed by: FbSa, on march 27, 2006

Sound: I've played it with humbuckers and split pickups, on humbuckers it'll put the music through with a small bit of noise that when set on a loud setting will be heard about 5ft away. On the split pickups it'll do the same thing without the buzzing though. It's not the best for popping (it' drops tone a tad) but for everything else it's consistent. It'll match Rock, Metal, and Country Awesomely, but when you get to jazz and the high ends of your music it drops the sound. But is still great to use for jazz. It can put out a low low blues line, and good mids, it just really sticks you on high ends, I'm talking g-string 5+. You can distort it by maxing your gains and lows on your EQ, which will make a nice little grunge type of distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never had any problems with it period, or. I've dropped it down a flight of stairs before (not on purpose) and plugged it up that night at a gig and played fine. No popping, un neccesary distortion, or buzzing. // 10

Overall Impression: It matches everything I use it for, it even matched everything my guitarest needed one night! I've been playing for almost two years, and I've played with it for over a year. I love it's low end tones, but I hate it's high end. It's passive and Active settings let me switch from rocking out to practicing in a split second. The only thing I would change, if you haven't figured it out yet, is it needs better highs on it. Otherwise it's perfect for my small venue playing. // 9

Basic 112 Reviewed by: eddiehimself, on july 11, 2006

Purchased from: A shop

Sound: I have a bass with a humbucker and a single coil in it, 5 strings and active electronics. Firstly if you crank it there is quite a bit of buzzing but it's nowhere near as loud as the actual bass sound. There is a lot of low end- I get a lot of low end with the bass on my basses EQ on half which is good because it means I don't have to sacrifice tone to get low end. the highs can be very annoying so I turn it down to about half and don't use the bright switch. The great thing about this amp is that you get a wide range of tones without changing the settings. I can use the same setting for rock/metal basselines as for slapping (it's probbably a bit bassy to be considered true slap but I like it like that). The distortion is surprisingly nice for a solid state amp which is good because there is not a lot of headroom on this amp. It is pretty loud but you would probbably need an extension cab to give it the volume you need for practicing with a band (altho I'm a bit deaf (which I suppose means it must be pretty loud, so I can't actually say how loud it is compared to a drumkit for example). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can't say wether it is reliable 'couse I haven't had it very long but it seems solid and you don't get the sense that it will fall apart or blow up if you crank it and then put a really high signal thru it which is good. I think peaveys are very kind of workhorsie amps, I remember someone had a Peavey Ultra 112 which is tube and they didn't even have to replace them in the 8 years since it was made! Yes I would use it without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock/metal and a bit of funk bass and this works. I'm sure it would work with any style of music but my bass is very metal-orientated. I chose this amp because I alredy had a Peavey and knew that they were reliable and sounded good and you get a lot more bang for buck then with a big name Marshall or Fender. This amp has a great all round sound and is great for anyone looking to get an amp to jam at a good volume or start giging. // 8

Basic 112 Reviewed by: basspowered27, on june 09, 2008

Sound: its sort of a smooth sound without feedback. It is higher pitched than most bass amps. The jazzy Sound would suit a lot of people. The distortion is not brutal at all! Some other nobs it has are the low tone med tone and high tone nobs. Sadly this amp only has 1 different nobs sound for bass and treble. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it. The only thing that has broken is the tone nob.it was regular servicing neglect that my tone nob broke from. I would never use an amp without a back up but I might for this one. The Reliability & Durability for this amp is good because the distortion is low. // 10

Overall Impression: I play jazz and rock and roll. I think Peavey amps best suit the jazz class.I have been playing for about a year now and this is my second amp. I wish I would have asked the guy if any of the nobs were broken. I love the smooth jazzy sound in the amp. My Overall Impression of the amp is pretty good. // 7

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ PXD Twenty-Three III 8.8 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014