Combo 115 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 03/25/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Peavey: Combo 115
Peavey bass enclosures feature a powerful sound in a number of versitile, rugged packages. Whether you're in the studio or on the road, they've got a unit to let you sound your best.
 Features: 9.5
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Combo 115 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2005

Sound: At the moment, the pickups I am using with it are simple single coils and humbuckers. Because of the built in effects loop, it will suit any type of music style and sound extremely good with my Boss pedals. The only down side I have is that without the compressor, you will sometimes get a horrible, short but sharp twang when a string is plucked hard. This is where a compressor or limiter would come in handy. // 8

Reliability & Durability: At a gig, I wouldn't dream of taking a backup amp with me just incase. As I have already said, the speaker protection system is extremely reasuring to me. This allows me to turn up loud and not worry about what damage I am doing to the amp because I know that I am not doing any damage to the speaker of the amp. My amp has never failed me. It has fallen over a couple of times in my van with a hard landing and it still works as well as it has ever done. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, it will suit any style of music because it has a 7 band graphic equalizer and a built in effects loop. Before you buy this amp though, do 2 things. First of all, try it out. You will probabily have to buy this model second hand and I would always try it out first. And the second point, make sure the plug you will use with it has a 13A fuse in it to it will not affect the amp in any way. If this amp got stolen, I would try my best to get an amp just like it. My favourite feature on htis amp has to be the built in compressor. It gives my a quality and "tight" sound which I love. It can also be turned of if you wish. // 10

Combo 115 Reviewed by: GNR_Duff_rules, on december 19, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Kalamazoo

Sound: I was acually not too impressed with the sound quality, but impressed none-the-less. It is pretty flexible. It responds desent with pedals and only has a hint of distortion at high volume, under the max and modern channels. Still the vintage channel is as clean as a whistle at max volume. It allows for great modern and classic rock sound but really requires pedals to get a really funky sound like I would like. But over all it's impressive. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is why I love this amp; it can take a beating. It's common knowledge that Peavys are durable, and this is no exception. I has my full dependence in a gig. Mine took the beating of the trip between kalamazoo, a beating up and down the steps and, since I got it, numerous accidents. It is a beast for beating. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall Imperssion. Great! I really like this amp, because it is relible and sounds a lot better then my old amps did. With max channel and volume, it make great basic funk sound and with some pedals sounds great with my music. It's big so it's worthy of gigs. The only thing I hate about it is it's so damn heavy! It's just one good amp. // 9

Combo 115 Reviewed by: dashysta, on december 14, 2009

Purchased from: Willis Music

Sound: I have a Tradition 4-string bass with P&J pickups on it; a Squire 5-string with P&J Pickups, and a 6-string Alvarez bass with soap bar stile pickups. Ok, that being said, all three of my basses have passive pickups on them, but they all sound great through this amp. Some would probably think I'm exaggerating, but I think this amp would probably make a bad instrument sound good, or at least better. As I stated before I play mainly contemporary black Gospel in church, but I also play classic R&B, some pop and classic rock, and this amp does it all. This amp does not distort even at very high volumes. It produces lows that you can literally feel, lows, mids and highs that are crystal clear (I added a tweeter to the enclosure). You can dial in any kind of sound that you want with it. I have had this amp for five years and it has never failed me, ever. Never gone out, blown a fuse, or blown the speaker. It has performed flawlessly in all venues at all volume levels. I only gave it a 9 and not a 10 for sound because only a head/cab would sound better; say a Genz Benz 6.0 or 10.0 (that's a 600 and a 1000 watt head for those Who don't know) and a 2X12 or 4X10 cab would outperfomr this combo amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I absolutely have found this amp to be reliable for the 5years that I've owned it. It has never failed me, never broken and I've given it more than it's fair share of abuse. I've got all kinds of scuffs, and the tolex is ripped in a couple of places, and marred all across the bottom from pulling it over uneven entrances. It's fallen over a couple of times, been closed onto tight places where I know the knobs were receiving abuse from car doors, seat backs and van lift gates; it has never had any problems with the controls. The thing is built like a tank and is VERY heavy and bulky. You could probably shoot it with a morter and still fail to blow it up. Weight and size however are the only drawbacks to this amp. I put casters on mine. Cost me about $8.00 from walmart to put casters in it. Now, if you can get past the size and weight issues, this would be a great amp for any working bassist. // 10

Overall Impression: I love all of the features and performance or this amp; that is, everything except the weight. It will take two people to move it up and down stairs, and is something to move even with casters. I would hunt down and kill the person Who would try to steal this amp from me. But I'll say this, if he/she or they can pack this bad boy away, they some bad jokers themselves. I compared this amp to other combo amps, and found it to be superior to all other combo amps that I tried; including Fender, Yorkville, gallen-kruger, Crate, Ampeg, aguilar, and Kustom. None of them had the same kind of power and all distorted at high volumes, whereas, this combo amp did not distort. None could outperform this amp. I don't think it will break if it hasn't broken by now, unless I take a hammer or a tire Tool to it; if stolen however, I wouldn't buy another because of the size and weight. I would probably spend the extra money and go with a smaller, lighter but more powerful Genz Benz 6.0 head and 2X10 cab. That being said, I have yet to come across a combo amp to outperform this Peavey 115 combo amp. // 10

Combo 115 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 25, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Sound: I have the external speaker, which really wakes this bad boy up, I found this combo to be lifeless with out the 2-10 add on cab. Its LOUD, louder than most guys in the band care for. I play small and medium clubs with no issues, and if you need more you can hook up to the PA with the ELR out. I am in a hard rock band with two loud guitarists and no problem cutting thru. With all the adjustments at your disposal this thing will sound any way you want. With a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver you can get that nice warm tube tone too. Gets loud with clean sound if ya Eq it rite. Extremely versatile! // 9

Reliability & Durability: OK mine was used/abused that's why it was so cheap. It actually fell out the back of a pickup on the highway, case was cracked at the top, wheels torn off, heat sink nearly ripped off, and tolex was a mess. The thing powered up and played fine! After some repairs to the case, reattaching the heat-sink and recovering it she's good as new. Peavey makes one hell of a durable amp. Oh yea someone spilled beer in the vent on top into the power amp, after it dried the next day she still worked! With all this I have no worries about it working at every Gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp, give me everything I need and more, its built like a tank too. The only thing I wish it had was someone to carry it, its heavy. After a couple sets and several beers, ya don't want to lug it back to the van. If it where lost or stolen, I'd get another one! // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr 15 7.9 Guitar Amplifiers 03/05/2014