MAX 112 Review

manufacturer: Peavey date: 04/12/2008 category: Bass Amplifiers
Peavey: MAX 112
The Peavey MAX 112 combo bass amp is ready for gigs and practices. If you're tired of lugging around heavy gear to small gigs and rehearsals try plugging in to the MAX 112.
 7.5
 7.8
 7.1
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
MAX 112 Reviewed by: Stud_Muffin, on april 12, 2008

Purchased from: PSS Music

Sound: I use a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass, which has been reviewed previously. The tones that I can achieve are quite nice and deep, but I can never achieve the signature fretless "mwaaaah" tone. However, I feel that this is the bass, as the alder body has very little sustain. As I said before, there is very little variation on what sounds you can achieve, but the tones that are available are very pleasant. When the volume is right up, a small amount of natural distortion is produced, but to be heard above two guitarists and an insane drummer at rehearsals, I have only ever needed to put it up to around 7, where it keeps its tone well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp has been very reliable over the 3 years last Christmas that I've had it. I have used it for 3 small concerts and it hasn't let me down yet. Paired with my solid Jazz Bass, its tone is improved by large halls, where I get a natural reverb effect. On the other hand, if I were to use it in a bigger venue, it would simply get lost in the mix. // 8

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music and this amp can satisfy them all to a sufficent standard. But realistically, it is still only a practice amp and would get lost in the sound at a larger gig. To play at bigger venues, much more power is needed. For what it says on the tin, it is good and it satisfies my personal playing needs. To a more performance minded player, it is simply not big enough. // 7

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ Vypyr VIP 2 7.6 Guitar Amplifiers 06/02/2014