Cube-100 Bass Review

manufacturer: Roland date: 10/20/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Roland: Cube-100 Bass
The Cube-100 Bass's compact design makes it easy to carry your own bass sound from gig to gig - ideal for use at rehearsals and gigs alike.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Features: 7.5
 7.9
 8.1
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Cube-100 Bass Reviewed by: Smokey192, on january 23, 2007

Purchased from: Roadhouse Music Store

Sound: With this amp I use a Peavey Millenium 4 BXP which works really well with it, as does any other bass. The bass really does give out some good noise. I turned it up to 4 on the volume and it filled a 19 roomed house. It's great for rehearsing and even better at gigs. You can hear your bass through all the other sounds, yet it still isn't overpowering. With all the different sounds it makes you can spend ages flicking through them all. It has so many different channels, and the equalizer on it helps with them aswell. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is great for giging. It's also easy to carry because of it's compact design. I've used it at all of the gigs I've done. I've had it for quite a while now and it's not even showing any sign of problems. It's a really good amp and I would recommend it if you are thinking of getting a bass amp. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock so this amp is really suited to my style but I'm pretty sure it can play mot genres with all the settings on it. I have been playing bass guitar for 4 years and this amp is really good and has been with me for some time. I have been playing drums for 2 years and keyboard for 3 and a half. The Roland bass amp is the best piece of kit I have. It's really good. I would buy it everytime it was stolen simply because I love it. I wouldn't be a bassist without it. // 9

Cube-100 Bass Reviewed by: seemeel, on october 20, 2010

Price paid: A$ 649

Purchased from: Roland clearance sale

Sound: I use an Ibanez SR505 which has Bartolini active pickups. When I first plugged in, I was expecting a fairly decent sound, and I was actually amazed at how good the thing sounded. With a bit of tweaking of both the bass's and the amp's EQs, I was able to dial in tight, fast sounds and classic tones and slap tones (well, as much as I can slap and pop!) and it did it all very well. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it sounded. It was the same sort of feeling I got when I heard my Vox AC30 in the flesh for the first time - "damn, this sounds good!" All in all, I am very impressed with the sound, given what I paid for it. I have found no flaws yet. The tonal variety is good - the 8 amp models add a stack of variety. Some of the models aren't great, but some are. The digital effects sound satisfactory, not that I really use them other than to check them out. I daresay a lot of the sound quality comes from the bass itself, but boy do these two work together well. I can say that the amp sounds great with a decent bass plugged into it. All in all, this is a very good sounding amp. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never once done anything untoward. Admittedly, I haven't thrashed it, but it's never been anything other than perfectly reliable. I also own the Roland Cube 60 guitar amp, and they are as reliable as each other. I've gigged the 60 and it's never failed. Based on Roland's reputation as a quality manufacturer, I don't expect this amp to ever go awry. It's solid as a rock and the knobs are well-built and tight. // 7

Overall Impression: Now, I was vary of rating this amp too highly - after all, I own two very good amps so I do know what a good amp sounds like. And this amp is in a different category to a Vox AC30, but even so, I had a bench mark for quality, with the Vox being a 9.5/10 amp. My overall impression of this amp is very favourable. It's well built, it sounds very good and it's very easy to use. After playing bass for about a year solidly (and sporadically for around 5 years prior to that) I feel that I can judge this fairly well. I am very impressed with this amp. If I lost it, I probably would replace it with the same thing. I can really only say that about my Vox - my other Cube would probably get replaced with a 10 W Fender amp or something, if it came to it. But I have no intention of getting rid of this amp. I compared this amp to other 100 W solid state amps, like the Fender Bassman 100, the Fender Rumble 100, the Peavey TKO 115s, the Kustom KBA 100X, the Ibanez SWX100 and Hartke A100. I found that none offered same value for money, sound quality, level of features or build quality as the Roland. I used a Fender Precision bass to test them, but I would imagine that would hold true for more or less any bass guitar. In conclusion, this amp is a real performer. It's great, without being brilliant, and I genuinely think it's the best value for money bass amp you can get. It's a perfect bridge between someone who is looking for an upgrade, or someone with a bit of extra cash to burn who can afford something a little nicer to learn with. I would recommend it to just about any amateur bassist, as either a primary or backup amp, because it is reasonably cheap, built like a tank, simple to use and sounds very, very good. Go and try one out today. // 8

More Roland reviews rating category latest review
+ Cube 15XL 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 07/17/2014