7215 Review

manufacturer: Trace Elliot date: 05/05/2010 category: Bass Amplifiers
Trace Elliot: 7215
A compact and reasonably lightweight combo amp with 300 watts of power. The 7215 uses Trace's GP-7 preamp to give excellent control with a clear user interface. Other features include a Pre/Post EQ balanced DI Out and a Dual Band Compressor.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.3
 8.8
 7.7
reviews (2) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
7215 Reviewed by: Double Basser, on may 05, 2009

Sound: Ok so here it get's interesting, I run guitar effects on my bass guitars (MM pup'd 5 string and P pup'd 4 string fretless) but with a PA head so I can send both a clean and dirty signal through the amp. I also use an upright with a bug p'up. All of these sound amazing through this amp, it has more bottom then any obese person I've met. However the EQ flat with Pre-Shape off the mids are way to prominent(for me at least) and being a 1x15 it's never gonna get those crystal clear highs that's I'd like. This is where the EQ comes in, dead bang in the middle is one of the most important frequencies for the bass, 500hz, or the woof frequency. This guy even with the preshape on has to go down and when it does my god does it sound good. Boost the highs a little and you have a near perfect slap tone. This amp can do practically anything because of this EQ however I prefer to leave it in the mid scoop area as I need my amps tone to work for 3 different basses in one show across a range of genres. All I want to do is put a 2x10 on top to make the highs Shine a bit more and she'll be perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Trace-Elliot gear has a reputation for being built like a tank and this one is no exception. It weighs about 35kg and is extremely well put together. The only concern with it at the moment is the XLR out for the DI has a wire loose which in terms of how everything is built is the weakest part of the whole amp. It's pretty much tour proof. // 8

Overall Impression: Coming from my Warwick Sweet 15 this thing is massive in every sense of the word except the physical size which is identical. Having been playing 4 years I've used a wide variety of half stacks, combo's and full stacks, from Ampeg to Hartke I've tried them all and this beast is better then most and holds it's own against the rest. The versatility is the best thing about this amp because you can dial in a tone that's good for everything because of that well voiced EQ. However I'm gonna be paying for that with my back. If it were lost/stolen I'd most probably buy a different amp, only cause these things are so rare and then find out Who took it and drop it on his/her head. // 9

7215 Reviewed by: Brownsy, on may 05, 2010

Purchased from: Flying Pig

Sound: I use several different basses with this amp from a Fretless Rickenbacker 4003, to Active 5 string basses. The input features Two jack sockets, which cater to both high and low inpedance instruments. The only thing I would say about that is that I suspect the low impedance input is connected to the high impedance, but with resistors in line, to lower it, rather than a separate circuit. I believe their Valve Bass amps have true independant inputs, rather than this cheaper alternative. It always sounds great regardless of the Bass I use and the speaker is more than capable of handling the bottom string on an active 5 string. The combo itself does not feature a high frequency horn. However the 2x10 extention cab did, so it didn't really matter too much to me. There are no negative sound issues for me with this amp regardless of volume. It has always given me what I required of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability... Hmmn... Right, here goes! In the 10 years I have had this amp it has been consistantly reliable right up until about 2 years ago, when all Four Mosfets blew mid song. Just prior to this happening, I became aware of a lot of heat coming out of the front vents followed by an acrid smell of burning copper. Mosfets traditionally do not handle heat well and will blow if the heat is not dissipated fast enough. When I took it to be repaired, I asked them to check the fan was okay. The mosfets were replaced and the fan was pronounced as working fine. "It was just one of those things!" is what I was told. A few months ago whilst playing, I suddenly started to feel heat from it and immediately detected the smell of burning copper, so I switched it off straight away. Whilst switching it off, the fuses blew to protect the output circuit. I finished the gig using the DI circuit into the PA which was still operating. When I got home, I opened it up and saw tell-tale signs of heat damage on the Output PCB by one of the mosfets, so knew what had happened. However, this time, I chose to check the fan myself, as in the months prior to this, it sometimes seemed to run warm. When I put a 12 volt current across the fan it operated and worked fine, so I left it running and after a bit, it stopped. I tried starting it again and it wouldn't. Eventually it started again, before stopping again. This carried on for a while. When I ran a multimeter across the fan, it showed a resistance and as stated above, did work for a bit, but intermittantly. A new fan was put in, as well as the mosfets. (I replaced them all, to be on the safe side.) Since then, there have been no problems and it works like it always did. It would appear that the fan working intermittantly caused the problems on both occasions, but was not picked up initially as the multimeter showed a resistance, even when the fan did not rotate. The main weakness of the design appears to be that Mosfets are twitchy around heat which a 300watt beast creates and so a working internal fan is essential, or problems will arise. The only other issue I ever had with it is that the DI output did not work once, which was later traced to a dry joint. My grading of this amp has dropped due to the fact that the Amp is dependant on a working fan and the one supplied, became unreliable. That being said, a Ferrari with a blocked radiator will go bang just as well, so I don't blame the amp anymore. After the first time it went, I took a while to get my confidence back, as I didn't truly trust the "It was just one of those things!" that I was told. // 7

Overall Impression: My Overall impression is that this is a good amp, with good facilities. I play professionally and it is my Main rig onstage, as well as for recording for the last 10 years. (Sometimes I just DI into the desk when recording! ) It has in its lifetime been used as the main Bass amp at several Outdoor festivals, meaning it ran continually for 12 hours at a go, with no issues and nobody ever having reason to complain about its performance, regardless of the types of music they played into it. As it is now 10 years old, I probably should be thinking about replacing it with something new, but I've yet to try anything which produces the sound and feel I get from it. Ashdowns are nice, but I don't really feel like it would be an improvement over the Trace. New Traces are really just Peaveys with the Trace Brand name, so I'm not all that thrilled with them yet. Until I try something that I feel is better than this, I'll continue to use it. It is a shame that the Original Trace Elliot Company went bust, otherwise I'd have probably replaced this with a newer model of theirs. Is there anything I hate about it... No! It's great Amp... Although if somebody is buying one, I recommend that you replace the internal fan with a new one, as my original one stopped being reliable after 8 years. Since the youngest one of these amps available will be older than that, changing the fan would be a wise precaution, for anyone buying, or using this amp. I paid for this amp with the proceedings of One gig. It has proved to be a great amp financially, regardless of the relatively minor repar costs. I've always looked after it (Despite the Cats! ) and it only ever let me down twice. I am confident that it will still work for another 8 years, but if I still own it then, I'll probably take the precaution of fitting a new fan every five years or so... New fan... 7.00. Amp repair... 130.00. You do the math! // 9

More Trace Elliot reviews rating category latest review