Drive Plus Review

manufacturer: Ashdown date: 09/03/2012 category: Bass Effects
Ashdown: Drive Plus
Very easy to get a good sound out of. I would reccomend this pedal to anybody looking for a decent, fairly cheap distortion/Drive pedal.
 Ease of Use: 8
 4.2
 8.3
reviews (2) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Drive Plus Reviewed by: ToddJames, on july 15, 2011

Purchased from: Gear4Music

Ease of Use: Very easy to get a good sound out of. I didn't even need to read the manual, just played around for thirty seconds and got a great sound. The manual explains everything else you might need to know. It is very easy to change between thick, intense distortion and a light buzz. // 9

Sound: I was playing with a Peavey Cirrus 4 String through an Ashdown Electric Blue 180. The sound is pretty good, when the amp is turned up to around three quarters volume there is a slight hiss, but only whilst pedal is active (not such a problem with a distortion pedal!). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The only problem I have experienced is when the battery power gets low, which doesn't happen anymore now that I run it off a Diago Powerstation. When the battery was low it occasionaly cut out when I tried to turn it on. Now I just make sure I stamp on it hard enough and I haven't had that problem since. I regularly use it without a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: I mainly use this pedal for rock, metal and Indie rock, and it works well for all types. I also sometimes use it for soloing in other styles, and it works well to add another dimension to my sound. I bought this because I have a great amp made by Ashdown, and I thought they would probably make other good products. I would reccomend this pedal to anybody looking for a decent, fairly cheap distortion/Drive pedal. My only criticism is that while it looks great, it is quite large and takes up a lot of room on a pedal board or gig bag. // 9

Drive Plus Reviewed by: ScubaParsnips, on september 03, 2012

Purchased from: Gear4Music.com

Ease of Use: This is definitely one of those pedals that you need to whip out of the box and start playing with. The "manual" provided is more of an brochure than anything else, but provides all of the basic info needed. The inclusion of Ashdown's Vu Meter helps when setting levels. As for tweaking settings, the 5 large knobs have a reassuringly tactile. As for the unit itself, its heavier and bigger than your common Boss pedal. // 7

Sound: I've heard some people complain about hiss issues with this pedal, but in my experience I've only ever heard anything of the sort in super-high-gain situations. I think the separation of high and low distortion levels is a real advantage, as you can push the Hi frequencies without getting any muddy Lo-end mush. This pedal won't give you super-distorted Metal tones, but is best suited for adding something a bit fuzzy to your overall sound. My favourite setup for this is to use this between my Overwater Aspiration Series bass and Laney PL65 amp. I've experimented with using it in the Effects Loop, but prefer not to gig with it there, as I can use the amp's EQ to tweak the output signal before it gets to the speaker. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Ashdown is famed for its durable designs, and as such this pedal I'd built like a house. The metal case means that you're very unlikely to damage this equipment easily, and the knobs & switch also have a nice solid feel to them. I've had no qualms about gigging this without a pedal, as long as I have a spare battery with me. I only say this because there's never an indication as to how much juice is left! // 9

Overall Impression: Considering Ashdown are relatively new to the Bass FX Pedal market, this is something that they can be proud of. Although this pedal isn't as famous or versatile as Boss/Electro-Harmonix/Sansamp's offerings, the Drive Plus is a solid first-try from Ashdown. Those looking for Ashdown build quality and heavier distortion are better off with the slightly more pricey James LoMenzo signature pedal, but for lighter Indie-Rock/Pop-Punk tones this is a great piece of kit. As for replacing it if lost, I'd probably hold out for their next generation of pedals rumored for late 2012. // 8

More Ashdown reviews rating category latest review
+ Electric Blue 12-180 EVO II 9.3 Bass Amplifiers 09/01/2014