Bass V-Amp Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 12/11/2008 category: Bass Effects
Behringer: Bass V-Amp
Behringer Bass V-Amp is the ultimate tone toolbox for all types of musicians and applications. It combines authentic vintage amplifier and speaker sounds with unprecedented authenticity of tone.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Bass V-Amp Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 04, 2005

Purchased from: Zzounds

Ease of Use: Behringer Bass V-Amp is the ultimate tone toolbox for all types of musicians and applications. The Bass V-Amp combines authentic vintage amplifier and speaker sounds with unprecedented authenticity of tone. Not only does the modeler re-create the classic sound of 16 bass amps by using proprietary "Interactive Sector Modeling" technology; Behringer went a step further and expanded the concept to include items of interest to keyboardists and acoustic/electric guitar players as well. It offers 32 authentic amp models that include 16 classic bass amps, 8 of the most popular V-Amp amp models, 4 typical keyboard amps plus 4 acoustic models. With 23 renowned cabinet simulations from traditional to contemporary and 16 first-class effects, the Bass V-Amp provides a perfect solution for studio recording and live performances. All amps and effects can be mixed and matched freely?effects can be used without amp simulation. Its 4 distortion and overdrive stomp boxes feature adjustable drive, tone, boost and split functions, while extensive MIDI implementation provides control and automation of all MIDI functions. Additionally, the new modelers feature an integrated auto-chromatic tuner that can be calibrated. The V-Amp Bass is very easy to use. For bass, you can pretty much just whirl the many knobs and get good enough sounds out of it. I also tried out the presets for electric and accoustic guitar and they are nice too. There is a footswitch included and stepping on it feels very good and switches fine. But some of the features are hardly mentioned in the manual. // 8

Sound: This product gives great sounds and is worth just as much as the other brands. The compression of the V-Amp is pretty good. The "ultrabass" effect actually tracks well down to a low A or G which is much better than anything else. The guitar amp simuation is OK but not great, the accoustic simulation is poor. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The user interface is designed very well. 2-way footswitch is extremely small and has a very long cable. This device is ideal for small stages. But it is plastic case so for the gigs it would be better to purchase the Pro version. Behringer didn't get a good reputation, but their newer products appear to be pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: It has an arch on it's bottom so it can straddle the top handle on amps. For beginners it is the best thing that can be bought, although it can be used for recording with success. There are a lot of things you can do with it when it comes to recording and practicing. The V-Amp has a lot of sounds and is a good investment if you want to use different amp sounds with only one amplifier and some simple, but mostly good sounding effects. Overall, pretty cool piece to have. // 8

Bass V-Amp Reviewed by: f-e-z, on may 22, 2006

Ease of Use: To get a good sound out of it, it takes a while to adjust to all the settings, it really does help if you know someone who has one, because it is a wee bit complex. Once you do get used to it, it is relatively easy to use, the foot pedal has about 20foot of klead, so it can be used on stage. // 7

Sound: I use my V-Amp with a Fender Rumble 15 watt, and it sounds great. The volume depends entirely on what settings you have it on. On the sci-fi effects (as I call them) you can get a lot of volume, but a lot of the time, it depends on waht you have your bass volume set to, the volume on the V-Amp itself, and on your amp, you have to fiddle around with these a bit to get a decent sound, but it only takes 5 minutes topps. I am not sure, but I think jack white used one of these for blue orchid (you can get guitar, keyboard, and acoustic models), because there is a setting on there that is exactly the same as it, it sounds superb, so, overall, whatever your style of playing, this suites it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would use this at a gig without a backup. The actual V-Amp is a bit vunerable-looking, but the foot-pedal is built better than a sherman tank. My dad has had one for ten years, it still works perfectly. The one problem is the power lead. It's one of those that has little pins inside, so you have to be a bit careful with it, but other than that, it's as dependable as grandads volvo estate. Even when it was left in our garage overnight on christmas eve, and it came out a bit damp, it worked, just take care, it'll work, after all, it's German. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Indie style, with abit of Queen, Led Zeppelin, and Nirvana thrown in, and it adapts to all of them very well. I have been playing since september '05, I own a Peavey Milestone series bass (red), and a Fender Rumble 15 watt bass amp. If I didn't have my dad to explain it, I would of liked them to go through it with me. I would definitely buy it again if it were stolen or lost. I love the fact it has more effects than any other of my band members effects pedals/boxes. I dont hate anything about it, but there are too many leads and fiddly things to plug in, on a dark stage it would be hard to get the power lead in. My favourite feature is when you turn it on, the whole thing does a mini light show. I didnt compare it to any others, I got it for christmas, and my dad is a guitar expert, he reckons its the best around, so it was a buit of a no-brainer. I wish it could have a wah-wah pedal built in, there isnt one for bass, and the guitar wah-wah only works on the g-string, just a little thought there. // 9

Bass V-Amp Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 11, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This processor is fairly simple to use, it comes with a detailed manual if you feel the need to consult it. Just messing around with it for 10 minutes I was able to figure it out. Very cool effects with this thing, as well as amp and cabinet simulations. Built-in chromatic tuner as well. // 10

Sound: I use this processor with a few different basses. I have a Cort Curbow 6-String, Rogue LX405 Pro, Dean ML Metalman, and a Squier P-Bass 5-string. Not noisy at all and the effects all sound really good. They include: ultrabass, synth, delay/loop sampler, chorus, flanger, rotary speaker, voice box, auto wah, phaser, ambi 4 renowned distortion and overdrive stomp boxes with adjustable Drive, Tone, Boost and Split Wah-Wah pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this unit for about 2 years now and it has yet to fail me. I've only gigged with it a few times though, all the other times I've used it was recording at home. It seems very tough and able to stand up to Live playing. The only problem I've had was the unit isn't very easy to access when playing Live, maybe I need to make a mic stand for it like the PODs have. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, from jazz to metal and this processor works well for everything, especially the cabinet and amp simulations. I have been playing bass for about 10 years now and I have owned a variety of gear over the years. This was the first bass effects processor I've ever owned however, I usually go without effects. If it were stolen, I would probably buy another one. Especially for use in the studio. The only thing I don't like is having to move around to change the settings. // 10

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ PB100 Preamp Booster 7.5 Guitar Effects 10/28/2014