V-Tone Bass BDI21 Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 07/11/2011 category: Bass Effects
Behringer: V-Tone Bass BDI21
Provides a truckload of great amps in a single stomp boxfrom traditional bass amps to modern overdriven amp tones that would typically require a multitude of effects units. Authentic tube emulation circuitry can be mixed with the direct bass signal via blend control.
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 7.5
 7.8
 7.2
reviews (2) pictures (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
V-Tone Bass BDI21 Reviewed by: dean13666, on october 09, 2008

Price paid: € 36

Purchased from: Music Town (Germany)

Ease of Use: I'm lazy, and I hate fighting with dozens of cables that in the end look like someone puked a plate of spaghetti next to my mic-stand. I plug directly into this pedal and from there into the mix (purists cry, LOL). In less than 5 minutes, I'm set up and ready to play. Authentic tube emulation circuitry can be mixed with the direct bass signal via blend control. Use presence control for definition and upper harmonics or rely on an ultra-musical 2-band EQ specifically tuned for bass guitars. I love to get set up quickly, go get a beer and watch my guitarist set up his equipment. // 10

Sound: I use this with a Yamaha BB414 or an Ibanez SRX300 straight into the P.A., and with a minimum of tweaking to adjust for the different instruments, get a good, fat sound. I've managed to get everything from clean-neutral to cranked-up full blast distortion. To each his own. Presence and Blend controls produce hissing if turned all the way up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The on/off button is plastic, so it's a good thing I don't Switch much during a gig. Connectors and dials are plastic as well, but show no sign of loosening. As far as gigging without a spare, if you have doubts buy another one. They're inexpensive. // 7

Overall Impression: Pedal includes all the standard extras such as bypass, ground lift and an extra output jack. What bothers me most about this pedal is the lack of white reference points on the dials. One has to look really close (easy to do with a strobe going off, fog all over the place and people jumping around) to see the settings. Would I buy it again? Oh yeah, definitely! As far as price/value goes, it's hard to beat. With this pedal I can keep my set-up simple, but still get a good sound. It can't replace a rack of high-quality Boss pedals, but then it wasn't meant to. // 8

V-Tone Bass BDI21 Reviewed by: Nasoj, on july 11, 2011

Price paid: C$ 30

Purchased from: Long and Mquade

Ease of Use: This pedal is REALLY simple: no pre-arranged effects, just a bunch of knobs. It's really easy to get a great sound out of this thing. It made my $130 Bronco Bass sound more like a $900 bass. It's pretty good in that respect, but I wish it had pre-arranged effects. // 7

Sound: I'm using with a Traynor 10 watt Bass Mate amp, and either a Squier Bronco Bass, or a Godin Freeway 4. It can be noisy or quiet, depending on which combination of knobs you use. You pretty much just have to know what combo of drive, treble, bass, level, presence, and blend you use. Overall, it's a very simple to use and great sounding. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'd say Reliability is it's weakest suit. The 2 ways to power it are either to use a 9-volt battery, or a 9-volt adapter. It dosn't come with an adapter. I've only had it about 5 or 6 months, (and haven't used it much until the past month), and the 9-volt battery jack dosn't work. Have to use an adapter. I guy on a youtube review said the adapter jack didn't work on his so he had to use a battery... // 5

Overall Impression: I play alternative and other styles of rock. It's a great match. You can get great distortion sounds for metal, and great clean sounds for jazz! If it were stolen, I would buy another one. Although it might break in a couple years, for 30 bucks, it's awesome. I love the fact that all it has is a drive, treble, bass, level, presence, blend knobs, and an on/off stomp switch. That way, you totally make your own effects! It's awesome! // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ X V-AMP 7.1 Guitar Effects 12/19/2014