CEB-3 Bass Chorus Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 12/26/2008 category: Bass Effects
Boss: CEB-3 Bass Chorus
Specifically designed for bass applications. Low filter knob to avoid muddiness. Stereo or mono outputs. From subtle detuning to rich, spacious chorus. AC adaptor or 9V battery operation.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Ease of Use: 7.3
 8.1
 7.5
 8.6
reviews (4) 6 comments vote for this gear:
CEB-3 Bass Chorus Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2005

Purchased from: Marks Music

Ease of Use: The pedal not up to usual Boss standards. To begin with, no matter how hard I try, I am unable to get a sound which I would like. The manual which came with the pedal does give a lot of helpful information. But, l when it gives you different settings to get different sounds, I am not inpressed at all with the sounds which I am given. // 4

Sound: The guitar I am using is a Westfield precission bass and a Peavey Combo 115. All the sounds I try to get out of the pedal are very weak. I've tried this pedal through many different amps and guitars of my mates and they all agree with me that it is a bad pedal compared to other Boss products. // 4

Reliability & Durability: As for reliability, I am never going to gig with this pedal again. I have only gigged with it twice. The first time, it cut out so I was not getting any sound at all. after testing all my leads, guitars and amp, I realised that it was the pedal that cut my sound off. So I took it out of my rig straight away. I sent it off to be repaired and they gave me a brand new one in return. So at the next gig I tried it and the exact same thing happened. I would not recommend this pedal to anyone on reliability standards. // 4

Overall Impression: As for music styles, this pedal would not suit any type of music. If this product was lost or stolen, I would be relieved! I would not recommend this product to anyone, not even my worst enemy. // 4

CEB-3 Bass Chorus Reviewed by: skuttermike, on january 16, 2004

Ease of Use: I first heard the bass chorus effect whilst noddling on my college's pa system, and they had bass chorus in the effects rack, and I was blown away. It's adds a new dimension to your playing, it makes it warm and well, for want of a better word, 'bubbly'. So, I looked into getting a peddle so I could get this great effect for my setup, and obviously, the first place I looked was Boss. And all I have to say is, look no further. It gives a really wide range of sounds from full stereo chorus, to the slightest hint of detuning. All this can be controlled by the unit's user friendly knobs on the top. All these are explained in the manual, along with a selection of suprisingly good sample settings. // 8

Sound: Now, as with any effect unit, you can end up with a sound, and I quote my guitarist, "which sounds like Satan". but on the other hand by utilising the Low Filter knob, you can get ri of the muddy sound, and you can totally customise the sound using the rate and depth knobs. You can also turn down the whole effect obviosly, using the E.Level knob, which makes all the difference between the full-blown chorus and the really subtle detuning. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where my only problem with the unit is. My unit stopped working after about a month, now, this may be my fault, I dropped it when packing it away, the patch lead was still in which linked it to my DS-1 peddle, and it landed on this, and it hasnt worked since. And as the unit isn't self-servicable (which is probably a good thing, becasue like most musicians I try and fix things, and have no idea what I'm doing) I have to wait to get it proffesionally fixed. But freak accidents asside, you can stomp on it hard with no effect, it's rugid and solid design make it hard to physically break, so overall, like all Boss pedals, it's good. // 8

Overall Impression: Now in my band we play a mixture between ska and reggae, so it sounds awesome for those reggae bass lines. Also, I have a Danelectro guitar octave peddle, and when you mix these two effects, you can produce a really nice sound for mellow bass solos. My only real problem with the psysical design of the unit is that it doesnt have a protective sheild over the knobs, like the Ibanez and danelectro peddles have, as you can occasionally change your settings when switching the unit. But overall, I would recommend the unit to anyone wanting to add a new dimension to their playing, just make sure not to drop it witht he lead in!!! // 8

CEB-3 Bass Chorus Reviewed by: Kobrakai, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Coda Music

Ease of Use: I went into my local shop and had a little doodle on this, and it's really fun. I find it easy to use, and it's reasonably easy to get a good sound out of it. Although it prefers more high end notes, which is great if you like a little bass solo/melody. The manual is just a few pages, but then again it's not rocket science to figure out how to use it! // 8

Sound: I'm using this with an Epiphone Thunderbird IV and a Hartke Kickback 15 bass amp, and it works very well with both. Obviously with all the settings turned up you get a very funky sound perfect for bass only music. If you're looking for something slightly less obvious you can turn down the settings and get a nice subtle effect for more guitar orientated songs. It sounds good and wobbly, like it should, and like a previous reviewer said, you can make some pretty unique sounds with it, but you need to spend time fiddling to get to grips with it fully. It it also good for recreating some songs by famous bands who have used chorus effects. I played Metallica's "King Nothing," and I managed to almost totally match Jason Newsted's bass sound on this device, and being a massive 'Tallica fan, I was dead chuffed about that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems of sturdy make, and I've had no problems with it yet. I think the guy who reviewed it and it broke may have had a bad model. I would use it in a gig with no back-up, but unfortunatly my band has no use for chorus in our songs yet. It's great fun to play with on my own though, so I'm not complaining. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a mix of blues (in a Blues Brothers tribute band) and rock 'n' roll/metal/punk covers. The chorus can add a new twist to the blues songs, but nothing I think I could add to the band. Although that's more to do with the band rather than the pedal. It's good for a lot of songs I know, be they chorus specific or not. I've been playing for about six months, and am learning the basics of soloing and it's great to be able to add a new sound to a solo. If it was stolen I would buy it again, as I enjoy using it, and love the sounds it can make. The only thing I would say is that if you're interested in this pedal, try it out first, as it may not be to everyone's liking. But I love it. // 9

CEB-3 Bass Chorus Reviewed by: Mutant Corn, on december 26, 2008

Purchased from: Pawnderosa of Little Rock, AR

Ease of Use: It's a fairly simple to use pedal. The four knobs, E-level, Low Filter, Rate, and Depth, each have very distinct and defined functions, and are easy to manipulate. Dialing in the tonecan take a bit of time, but it's not hard. The effect isn't very strong on most settings own, so it takes a minute to figure out which knobs to crank up to get your tone. // 9

Sound: The main rig I use this with is a Carvin SBR410 half stack with either a modded Squier MB-5 or an SX P-copy. It's not noisy at all. The effects are very subtle and usually require fairly high settings to be noticeable by a crowd. It's definitely a subtle pedal. It's also quite cold for the most part, which is not really something I look for in a chorus, but at the same time it's also very clear and defined compared to some others I've tried. It fills out the sound well, which is what I bought it for, so it's mission accomplished in my book. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a Boss, and is made with their typical steel casing and durable components. I expect it to last a while, and would probably gig it without a backup, though such a thing is generally not recommended when you're using batteries. The only thing I'd be worried about is the knobs. They're built quite solidly, but they're in a position to be broken off by someone Who's not careful. // 9

Overall Impression: I use this mostly in a christian rock band, and it fits in well. It does the job I bought it for, which is to add some depth to my sound. I've been playing for about four years, and in terms of effects I also have an Ibanez PD-7 and a Dano Tuna Melt. If this were stolen or lost, I would probably buy it again, because I'm on a budget and like this better than DigiTech's bass chorus. My favorite thing about it has to be that it's a true stereo chorus, which means it can produce some very cool tones and also act as a signal splitter. What I don't like is how far I have to turn the knobs to get it to be noticeable. I think maybe they used the wrong type of pots in it. I didn't compare it to others when I bought it... there weren't anymore in the pawn shop. If anything, I wish it would have an overall output level control so that it can be easily balanced. // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014