GT-6B Bass Effects Processor Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 10/05/2004 category: Bass Effects
Boss: GT-6B Bass Effects Processor
This fully professional floor-based unit offers new COSM Bass Amp Modeling with new modeled compression, plus other "must-have" effects like overdrive/distortion, wah and reverb/delay.
 Ease of Use: 8.4
 9.3
 8.6
reviews (5) 2 comments vote for this gear:
GT-6B Bass Effects Processor Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 19, 2003

Ease of Use: For me, and I've only had the thing for 2 days, it it 2nd nature since I have a GT-5 that I use to use with my Bass set up before they had specific bass pedals in that price range and quality. If you're new with it. It's gonna take awhile. // 8

Sound: Right now I'm just using it for recording. Alot of the effects are just the same ones from the GT-5, however they do sound better- more aligned with the frequencies of the bass. For example, the synth and octave effects didn't "grab" onto the note very well from the GT-5 but seem to be attaching good to the lows on my bass from the GT-6b. The GT-5 was a nitemare for Bass live from venue to venue because the tones of the effects where so different depending on the size of the room, some nights distortions were way too loud, and other nights they seemed washed out. I was always tweaking sounds night after night during sound checks to get it right. I'm an effects heavy Bass player, I'm hoping that the GT-6b will be better, but I don't know if it will be because most the sound are just the same. I'll have to see, it's worth a try. (I'm still just trying it out.) // 8

Reliability & Durability: Just make sure nobody steps on your patch cables, it will crack you circuit board and you will have to replace it. Your sounds will be gone forever. Also your dial is vulnerable, and if it gets loose you will find it to be slow and going to the wrong thing if you go too fast. (I hate that) That's why I rarely ever use my GT-5 anymore. GT-6b is going to be the same way. Everything else is very very sturdy though. // 10

Overall Impression: I played Bass for the Band Videodrone, And we were a effects heavy experimental band that toured with Korn and Rob Zombie. No one realized until the end of the tour that my effects were never in the house, so the only ears being blasted out by the heavy distortions were my own. I'm recording now, and I'll give this GT-6b some time, if I don't like it I'll send it back. So far I think I really like it. // 10

GT-6B Bass Effects Processor Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 19, 2003

Ease of Use: When i first bought the unit i was very excited and then tried to make my own patches etc. but thought it was a nightmare, but give it a bit of time and it will be fine and its quite easy. After a short while you will be experimenting with patch editing and customising them to suit the sound that you after. // 8

Sound: You will find with the gt-6b that the sounds are usually spot on as with most Boss pedals, i am definitely a fan of this model and have achieved most sounds that i want from it, a bit of tweaking here and there and alls good, i usually run it through a labsystems amp and the two combined are fantastic. Usually i try and steer clear of sounding like other people but when playing covers its not hard to get the sound you are looking for. i particularly like the compression and distortion effects. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have rated this a 10 because so far it has given me no problems at all, I have used it live and quite extensively in the studio and had no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a great effects unit in the way that for the money you can get a heap of different sounds etc, without having to buy specialized gear or equipment, its very portable too. Not only does it suit the stuff i write but every now and then i find a sound that inspires new stuff. i give it the thumbs up. // 8

GT-6B Bass Effects Processor Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 19, 2003

Ease of Use: Right out of the box it shows it's bells and whistles with the factory patches, but I had to do a lot of tweaking to do to get sounds I could actually use. I must say, this unit had me scratching my head a bit when I first got into it. I had previously had a DOD bass 30 which I was getting great sounds with right away. This is a much more complicated processor. The upside of that is it has a lot more to offer than the bass 30. However, after spending a little time with the manual, (which is very good) and getting to know how this thing works, programming is a breeze and I am getting tons of great sounds. Just be patient and read the book and you'll be fine. I think they must have listened to customer feedback, because this thing has some nifty features that make life a little easier. One being a patch swap feature. This allows you to have two patches switch places without having to find a third location to for temorary storage. Another minor but nice feature is a button that allows you to switch between upper and lower case letters when naming a patch. Saves a lot of scrolling around. Aother great feature lets you rearrange the effects chain. It would have been nice if they would have put an explaination of the cryptic symbols and abbreviations used in the display for this. The front panel knobs are great for quick edits, but using the menus and data wheel lets you get into the deeper editing. When you activate each effect (compressor, chorus, distortion and reverb/delay), there are a few "quick settings" for each. These give you a starting point to use or edit as you wish without starting from scratch. Very handy. There is also a feature called E-Z tone which gives you basic templates to create sounds. Boss has taken what otherwise could be a programming nightmare and really put in a lot of user friendly features. This thing is loaded to the hilt with features and more effects than I'll ever use. // 10

Sound: Sound quality is superb. Once you get things tweaked the way you like them you'll be amazed. I wanted something that I could use in front of a power amp or straight into a board and this is just the thing for that. The effects are very good. Compressor is a little noisy. This has a synth bass that you can actually use. you have to play really clean, and play with the sensitivity setting to suit your own playing, but it does work. If you're playing through a bass amp you might want to skip the cabinet models, but if you are using a power amp and full range speaker or lining in to a mixer the cabinet models make a big difference. I'm still not sure about the fretless simulator. I need to play with it a bit more. I haven't really been able to come up with a sound I like for that yet. There is a factory patch called "Rockabilly" that has a cool upright bass sound with a short delay. The "auto slap" is really just a programmable arpeggiator. It's fun to play with, but I cant see using it in live performance, unless you're synced to a MIDI clock. One thing to watch out for. If you are using a bass with active electronics you will have to adjust the preamp gain down on the factory patches. I have a Spector NSQ2000, and when I first plugged it in I was getting distortion on every patch. I guess these were programmed with a passive bass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The GT-6b is big and heavy and built like a truck. All metal. Did I mention heavy? There is a bar that sticks up across the upper side of the footswitches. This helps keep you from kicking the knobs. Very smart. i believe Boss has quite a reputation for dependability with their floor units. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 35 years. Pro and semi pro. I wish I would have had something like this in the '80s when I was playing full time. As I mentioned earlier, I had purchased a DOD bass 30, which did sound good and was dirt simple to operate, but is not even in the same ballpark as this thing. This is a very professional unit. XLR jacks, a master volume knob,(which only works on the 1/4" outs) MIDI, an on/off switch, (get a clue DigiTech) the list of features goes on and on. I will admit that I wasn't sure if I would keep it at first. I really had to work to get it to sound like I wanted. But once I got it, well, I won't be sending it back. This thing is simply the best. One other thing. With all those distortion, overdrive, wah, etc. models I had to try it out with my guitar. If you use the bassman or SVT amp models and the 4 or 8 ten speaker model. or plug it in your guitar amp and just use the effects. After all it has the Boss overdrive, Blues overdrive and Heavy Metal (plus other) distortion pedal models, and the crybaby wah. Plus the harmonizer. Who's going to use that on bass? Anyway it sounded killer with my Strat. Bottom line. Buy one of these, spend a few hours tweaking it to your taste and you'll be happy. Nobody else even comes close to this. // 10

GT-6B Bass Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 19, 2004

Purchased from: EBay

Ease of Use: There were several pre-programmed patches that were great and many I found useless or silly. Choosing a patch is very easy. Editing a patch is straight-forward, but time consuming because of the multitude of options. The manual is excellent; its easy to find what you are looking for once you know the correct terms. (Unmodified unit.) // 8

Sound: Using Hohner B-Bass V with Peavy Basic 112 combo amp. I found absolutely no noise was created by this unit. It is very clean and the effects are clear. I found each of the effects do exactly what they are supposted to, but I never liked the sound of an octaver, so I found this effect the most useless. The distortion does not quite reach super-heavy sounds, but it is adequate. The compression/limiter is near perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Stand on it, drop it down the stairs. You can't beat this thing. I had mine about 6 months and it shows no signs of wear. Based upon my previous experience with Boss, and looking at the design of this unit, I suspect it would survive a ground-zero nuclear blast. Well, almost. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock (alternative, grunge, classic, hard, & metal), blues, and some jazz. This box has all of the sounds I could ever wish to use, I bet. The one major complaint I have about it is, when switching patches, the control knobs jump to the level of the knob, instead of the pre-programmed level. I compared this to similar models by Zoom, Korg, DigiTech, & DOD. I felt this one had better sound, and is built bullet-proof. I would recommend it to anyone who needs more than two or three floor pedals. // 10

GT-6B Bass Effects Processor Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2004

Ease of Use: This particular item is not for newbies I highly recommend you figure out what sound you are trying to find on a cheaper FX processor. This has alot of FX but it is kind of challanging to get tones and volumes from one patch to the other close because of it saving. Knob setting other than that it is pretty self explanitory if you know about what your doing like, what a compressor is and the difference between od and dist. The manuel is great, it explains everything you need to know without being an idiots guide though it explain it does speak as if to advcanced player not for beginners. // 8

Sound: This unit has kickass sound I'm using it with everything from a Warwick to a Ibanez GSR200 and a 15" Peavy 150w amp TKO EQ. It has very good dist and od and very good various FX. My only complant is some of the compressors are a bit noisy and the Octave effect can really do damage to an amp if not used correctly. You can get jazz rock metal any sound you want outa this baby. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank not plastic here nice metal frame and body I could (wouldn't but could) drop this thing of the back of a truck and jump onto it. I honestly don't believe it would hurt it. Unless there is an amp cord plugged in one step on a plug for a cord on the back of this baby and youll crack the chip inside and then its go buy another one (which I would do well worth it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for any genre me personaly I play metal and rock Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Chevelle and SOAD. It has caught every sound I throw at it and atempt to make. It takes time but if you want a sound badly enough this processor can help you through the long haul. I've been playing for about 5 years now and I play music as a part time proffesion. Got this product as a beginner with FX and I was really confused. Repeat if you are a beginner start with something smaller and easier. Compared to the other products DigiTech is throwing out there this one is way better much less noise. If I lost this sucker I would go within an hour to get a new one. // 10

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor 8.5 Bass Effects 11/20/2014