ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 06/14/2010 category: Bass Effects
Boss: ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor
The BOSS ME-50B puts world-class bass effects in a rugged floor unit with easy pedal-style control. Effects can be edited using 23 knobs and controlled via three built-in footswitches and an assignable expression pedal. This is the piece no bass player should be without!
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.6
 9.2
reviews (2) 23 comments vote for this gear:
ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor Reviewed by: Hutch666, on december 23, 2005

Ease of Use: Easy to use, well yeah I'd like to think so. And if not everything is made clear, the comprehensive manual that comes along with the unit will have you playing with various sound modifications in no time. The unit came with 6 x AA Batteries which said they where "for demonstration purposes only." They lasted a good few months of solid practice! Cheers Boss. The unit did not come supplied with a power unit, but they are available for about 10 or araound that. But I like to keep all the wires to a minumum. So I stick with batteries, which last ages in this system. The unit has the following I/O and jacks available: - Input (obviously for your Bass Guitar) - Output L & R (L being for Mono setups) - Phones (for when your parents just can't take any more Vibes) - Aux In (great for adding a backing track to play to from CD) - Foot Swith (for yet more bass effects at your toe tips) - Noise Suppressor (Variable on rear of unit) - Power Switch - And a DC in jack for the power unit with also a cable clip to prevent accidental unplugging whils playing. Use is simple, Three push buttons of which all can be assigned with user defined sounds. And a foot pedal to add wah/resonance/octave/sound hold/kick drum and even volume! This unit also comes with an on board tuner. Great stuff! The manual explains literally everything you need to know to get started with modulating your very own effects. Obviously the manual covers all manner of useful tips as expected in this day of age including care of unit, warranty info etc etc. // 9

Sound: Personally I am using the "ole faithful" Fender Precision Bass through a HH 115 bass amp. The sounds are fantastic and I really enjoy experimenting with the defretter and bass boost (what self respecting bass player does not like boost). Other Effects include the usual distortion for heavier material and overdrive. Delay's are good fun but needs a bot of practice to stay in sync with the tune playing. Of course, the unit's time delay can be modified at the touch of a button. In the time I have been using this neat little kit, I have found the sound crisp and clean, even when switching through different sound banks and volume settings. As with all effects units, some sounds are impractical for the gigging bassist but most are fun and give you plenty of ideas to editing your own "unique" sound. To be honest, there is so much that can be done with this unit. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability and Durability, well it's a Boss, so I'd likely to say that it would survive a nuclear fallout! Only thing I would say is write down your sound settings to back up the memory should you accidentally erase it or something. With regard to gigging (and your not using the power pack) have some spare batteries next to your pint ready. But the unit will give you good warning before it dies. E.g. I was halfway through a gig and the display flashed "b" indicating power low, but the unit kept on going for another 30mins. So plenty of time! // 10

Overall Impression: This week I have been mostly playing Rock. But I feel the unit is capable of modifying in to any musical style as there are so many settings to play with. I've stuck with my setup now for such a long time, but I welcome this little well priced unit with open arms and cold beers. I would definately get this unit again should it's bigger brother (ME-6B, fail to impress). I like the way I can select a soft Bass tone for a intro and swith instantaneously to a fuzzy distorted chorus! I just dislike the amount of time I sometimes spend trying to find that "sound." But that might just be me trying to be a perfectionist! Oh, and I love the defretter feature, and yes it does work to a fantastic level. Get down to your shop and give it a whirl, but have a go at it's bigger brother, the ME-6B. // 9

ME-50B Bass Multi Effects Processor Reviewed by: eddie123456789, on june 14, 2010

Price paid: C$ 430

Purchased from: Kosmic - Osborne Park

Ease of Use: The ME-50B is quite easy to use. After playing with the 50B's little sister, the Boss ME-20B, the 50's easy accessability, and abundance of knobs make it really easy to find "that" tone. Three foot switches, and about 20 knobs make it easy to change the tone in a flash. However, you cannot actually edit any patches that you set, or any of the preset patches. The unit switches between "Memory", where you can access saved patches, and 'Manual' mode. You can only change settings in manual mode, where you can save these settings to a patch. The manual shows how all the preset effects are achieved, in hard copy, which makes it easy to recreate them. Having said that - the preset patches are not all that good. The manual is clear and definitive, and easy to follow. The manual also provides a space to record settings, so if in the event of an unlikely crash of the pedal, all of the settings are still there. // 7

Sound: I am using this pedal with my Behringer BX-450 450 watt bass amp, and my Sterling Ray-35 5-string bass, with active pups. The pedal is really good, because at the press of a button, i can bypass all the effects, and be going straight through my amp effects. There is practically no noise on any of the settings. I Love the distortion fx, it sounds awesome. Also, the defretter works really well. I find it hard to get a good synth sound, but it could be just me. I also like using the delay in a slapback effect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The ME-50B is built like a tank on wheels (its so versatile!). I would rely on it to the utmost. I use an external power supply ($5), so there's no chance of the batteries going. I dont think that I would need a backup, because it is so tough, it is really built like a brick. // 10

Overall Impression: The ME-50B is designed to replace a set of stompboxes, which was what I had in mind when I bought it. However if you are looking for amp modelling, go buy a Line-6 or something similar. I love it, but if it was stolen I would look at the other Boss models, the higher ones and probably the line-6 Boss range as well. // 9

More Boss reviews rating category latest review
+ GT-100 Amp Effects Processor 8 Guitar Effects 07/07/2014