Bass Driver Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 07/07/2008 category: Bass Effects
DigiTech: Bass Driver
The Bass Driver features three different bass overdrive distortion pedal models to select from. These can be morphed to create new multi-model bass-overdrive sounds.
 Ease of Use: 7
 6.6
 5.9
 7.3
reviews (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Bass Driver Reviewed by: yourgrandpa, on august 15, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: It's quite a versatile pedal with regards to overdrive/distortion/fuzz, but my main concern is that it takes out some lows. Basically, overdrive and fuzz are several knob adjustments away from each other; one time I made the mistake of only turning the Morph knob in a hurry on stage and ended up with just plain noise and no audible bassline at all. // 7

Sound: You can get quite a few tones out of it; just that you probably won't be able to get exactly what you had in mind. I still can't. As I mentioned, it takes out a bit too much lows for comfort. However I found that when I mixed it with a Boss Bass Chorus, it gave me quite a nice sound and suitable for what I needed for that particular song. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's quite sturdily built, being in a heavy, durable metal casing. My only issue is the foot pedal; I've heard stories about DigiTech foot pedals losing their connection after too much stomping and this one's failed me before, actually. One time just after loading a new battery in I accidentally stomped too hard and it just died right there. It's only failed me on gigs as a result of the power failing. So unless you use adaptors, I'd recommend putting this (and other DigiTech stompboxes) in a bypass loop just in case. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this pedal is only good for actual distortion as opposed to overdrive/fuzz and beginners unsure of their sound. If you're fussy about your sound, I wouldn't suggest this pedal. If it were misplaced I'd seriously consider something else; probably a Big Muff or even a Woolly Mammoth if I could afford one. // 7

Bass Driver Reviewed by: spyinks, on july 07, 2008

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

Ease of Use: There are only 4 knobs to play with so you can't really go wrong. Level adjusts the output volume, Tone adjusts the EQ range (i.e. butchers your tone), Blend adjusts between the wet signal of the pedal and the original dry signal and Morph cycles through different flavours of distortion (overdrive through to obliterated fuzz). On paper this makes the pedal easy to use, but I've spent so long twiddling those knobs and still haven't really found what I'm looking for. Also, the manual says that you open the battery cover/switch plate by pushing the end of a cable jack into a socket. That socket is a bit too small to do that easily, I used to scramble around for a blunt pencil to open it up. // 7

Sound: Fun but lacking. Towards the left hand of the scale there's an overdrive that tries to be subtle but just sounds a bit crap and soul-less. At about halfway round the sound is a more definte distortion sound, but I don't like that either (reminds me of a muzzeled dog or something equally pretentious). Turning the morph dial all the way to 11 produces an over the top digital fuzz. I desperately want to find a use for the fuzz, because it's really fun and exaggerated but it lacks low end "oomph" to use on it's own. Blending it into a dry signal makes the fuzz sound even more empty like a buzzing fly attached to your tone. // 4

Reliability & Durability: If you wanted to, you could defintely bludgeon someone to death with this thing, although you might want to give it a wipe afterwards. Despite having a strong casing, the switching mechanisim is designed in such a way that the weight of your body (in my case, a lot) is levered directly onto the PCB (flimsy and plasticy), and when intermittent switching problems start cropping up the bludgeoning idea doesn't sound so silly anymore. Overall the pressure needed to Switch has gone from 'crushing an egg' to 'crushing a can' and sometimes it takes a couple of tries. // 5

Overall Impression: Actually thinking about it, the 'mixer out' which simulates a 4x10 cabinet is quite a nice feature. The actual distortion isn't very good though. Not to be used live. Actually I just remembered it works fairly well with electric guitar and defintely much better than it does with bass. // 3

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP355 8.6 Guitar Effects 08/04/2014