Bass Squeeze Review

review (1) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Bass Squeeze Reviewed by: Hetzer, on november 22, 2010

Price paid: € 35

Purchased from: Second Hand

Ease of Use: This compressor is not like any I've had a chance to face before. It has no standard threshold, attack, or sensitivity knobs. The manual comes in handy with dealing with this, but it will take some time and patience to truly discover it's secrets (and to get used to it), // 8

Sound: Bass Squeeze can offer wide range of compression if you can utilize it. It boosts weak notes, as well as it levels louder ones, and adds some bass to higher strings witch is really good. Besides, it also provides some extra sustain. Crossover knob can really alter your tone. On 0 tone remains the same. It gets sharper until around 5 and after that it gets blurrier. It is is the overall situation, whatever you do with hi and lo band knobs. That is why I keep my crossover close between 7 and 8 o'clock (close to 0). I don't want it to change my tone, just to level it. There is low level of hiss whenever you play. Of course, it can't be heard when you play, and the volume is up, but you can best hear it if you play very lightly, or just touching strings, when very low signal reaches amp, when amp and bass volumes are up and all effects are turned off except this one (this has nothing to do with the ground). This is why I do not recommend this to be used in studio. Also, when you crank up the band knobs, especially hi, constant hiss appears and increases (it usually happens the same with every treble or high knob). When using regulated power supply and with reasonable settings, unit makes no sound at all when it is on, just a slightly "bop" sound when you turn it on or off. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It looks solidly built and durable. It is also quite heavy witch contributes to the general durability impression. It's inner Switch is unreasonably exposed and opened so I protected it with some tape around the edges of the pedal to keep it safe from dust. I recommend doing the same, even if you keep it in the pedal board. It may not look as nice but it will probably prolong it's usage. This thing eats up batteries! It has a current draw probably about 50 mA so get a regulated power supply ASAP. Good people from DigiTech even remembered to put some sort of an excuse card with in package with this product (and probably many more) referring to it's battery consumption. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play death/thrash metal-grindcore style and I'm playing bass for about 7-8 years now. This is my first compressor pedal and I am satisfied with how much I got for the money I gave. I own it for 2-3 months and if it broke, got stolen or lost I would not explicitly look for a same new one, and I wouldn't avoid it. // 7

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP1000 5.7 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013