Bass Synth Wah Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 02/02/2007 category: Bass Effects
DigiTech: Bass Synth Wah
The Bass Synth Wah? is simply the most versatile bass envelope filter pedal on the market, with seven different bass envelope filter types to choose from. This delivers more envelope filter effects than any other bass envelope filter pedal available.
 Ease of Use: 8.4
 8.7
 8.2
 9.2
reviews (5) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Bass Synth Wah Reviewed by: JMack, on july 04, 2005

Purchased from: Brook Mays

Ease of Use: This is an extremely easy pedal to use. It only takes a few days to completely figure the whole thing out, and you can play with it right out of the box. The manual is helpful, but I found it best to figure the thing out on my own. // 10

Sound: I played this through my Fender Rumble 100w with an Ibanez EDA905. It sounds great! Every effect was great on every note I played. The only problem with the sound is that out of 7 modes, there are really only 5 sounds. However, on the duplicated sounds, you can use the other knobs to get distinctvly different sounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very reliable with a power converter. It eats batteries like no tomorrow, so I suggest buying the extra converter. It comes with a 6 year warranty and is covered with a tough, heavy metal sheild. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is great. If there was one thing I could add, it would be a wah sound. This is a great synth pedal, but no wah setting. // 8

Bass Synth Wah Reviewed by: Bassman13, on january 16, 2004

Ease of Use: I really enjoyed fooling around with this pedal, it just has so much available sound in it. It's awesome no matter what you're looking for. Controls are fairly simple y'know? just turn the knobs untill u get the sound u want to hear. // 8

Sound: I'm currently using my fernandes bass. It's an awesome pedal, the effects sound awesome all the time. There are seven different modes to change between, each sounding totally cool. I most often use the pedal to get a crazy synth noise, but it works for whatever I'm looking for. I can get even just a slight distortion to some crazy wah. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliabiliy is somthing I would be concerned about, but only because I've had problems with my batterys draining out WAY too fast, maybe I use it too much, but if you do get it, I suggest buying an a/c adapter ASAP. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a really versatile pedal. No matter what u want to play, u could always find some way to use this thing. I've personally wanted this pedal for ages, and am really happy X-mas just passed buy. I looked around at a few pedals before getting this one, and I have no regrets in getting it at all. // 8

Bass Synth Wah Reviewed by: quibbs0, on september 20, 2005

Ease of Use: This thing makes quite a few whacky noises. It's pretty simple to configure. The manual's settings are a little iffy so I just use what sounds good to me. // 8

Sound: I'm running this from a G&L L-2000 Tribute bass into a Peavey TNT 115 combo box. I find that volume is sometimes an issue when I turn the pedal on. It really only seems to work well if the guitar player and drummer and both somewhat quiet. I like to use it in combination with DigiTech's Compression, it sorta keeps the sound steady. I do have some problems with the volume consistency on the thing, sometimes it blasts and sometimes you can't hear it. This could be my setup though. I don't run it through the PA or any mixer. All in all, it's a pretty diverse pedal but if you are looking for a good controlled Wah and have the control in your foot, go for one that's made only for Wah. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Batteries? Don't even think about it. Fortunately as a bass player I don't rely on my pedals too much so I don't have a backup pedal in case something would happen. I know I did buy one of these used on eBay and it broke shortly thereafter. I decided to go to the store for the second one. // 6

Overall Impression: I play rock and we do some progressive stuff so when we get jammin it can sometimes be useful. All in all, I don't use it for most of the gig. I would probably try another pedal just out of curiousity (Boss). It does make some really cool sounds though, especially if you eat little square pieces of paper an hour or two before. // 8

Bass Synth Wah Reviewed by: yourgrandpa, on august 14, 2006

Ease of Use: I wouldn't say it's easy to get a good sound; it's easier to get a lot of fun sounds that will make you keep playing with it for hours in your bedroom just seeing what funky/weird sounds you can come up with. But most of this wouldn't be very easily applied to a bassline in a band setting unless you're Bootsy Collins. The manual was rather helpful as a rough guide to what sounds may be produced from it. I referred to the menu samples and tweaked them to get what I wanted. // 8

Sound: The sound can be too digital for comfort; however there are many different sounds that can be produced which makes this a very useful pedal to have. I would suggest putting a limiter/compressor after it to regulate it as it can get quite harsh sounding, which is what I'm going to do soon. I managed to turn it into an octaver too, by setting it at OctaSub and turning the Range down to zero. However since this only goes down one octave I may still consider getting an actual octaver if I still need it fatter. The envelope filter setting was also pretty useful for me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: So far so good; it seems quite durable with it's metal casing and definitely won't move around on stage as it's quite heavy. I'd use it on a gig without a backup, but well, I never get backups for gigs anyway. I've heard stories about DigiTech foot pedals losing their connection after too much stomping; well only time will tell I guess. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm currently in a glam-rock band and a church band. I've used it for both quite nicely; it's quite versatile. if it were misplaced I wouldn't rush into replacing it too soon; I'd probably take a look at a Guyatone Bottom Wah Rocker or an Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron first. To be honest I only really bought this cos it was on sale. I wish it had a more analog-sounding autowah function. // 8

Bass Synth Wah Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2007

Ease of Use: It is pretty easy to use, even changing batteries is a zip. Although one problem I've found is that there are so many different sounds that is a little demoralizing. I would recommend that a buyer read the instruction manual for this pedal, because at times it can get confusing. The manual shows that this bad boy has a couple of goodies like a "stack mode" if you are recording with a mixer. // 8

Sound: The sound of it can vary greatly, as just a minor adjustment can produce a completely different effect. It's crazy. I normally set it on envelope filter, although I also use the octa-sub, which is better than the one on my Crate BT50 amp. In general the sound quality is good, although too much of any one setting can get obnoxious. I normally lower the sensitivity. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is pretty dependable, although I would not trust it with batteries. This pedal sucks the juice out of them like a three year old and apple juice. The design of it is pretty rugged, and seams like it could take a beating or two. I would use this in a gig provided I used an AC converter with it (which costs about an extra $20.00). // 9

Overall Impression: I normally play music by the Offspring and similar bands, although I play some other stuff, and I find that I usually don't need it. I bought it as more of a novelty item to just mess around with. One problem with it it doesn't live up to the "wah" part of it's name, as there is in fact, not a wah setting. All in all it is a pretty good pedal, though I really don't need it. // 9

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ RP1000 5.7 Guitar Effects 12/17/2013