BP200 Review

manufacturer: DigiTech date: 01/05/2009 category: Bass Effects
DigiTech: BP200
The BP200 is a revolutionary Amp Modeling/Multi-effects processor designed specifically for bass guitar. Under the hood of the BP200 is the powerful AudioDNA DSP processor, providing 16 bass amp and stompbox models and a host of other effects (22 total) for creating your own signature sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 7.8
 8.1
 7.4
reviews (4) pictures (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
BP200 Reviewed by: FbSa, on march 27, 2006

Ease of Use: It's easy to use, just go down your select and pick your amp mode EQ, effect, compression, and your pedal assignment. The manual gives pretty good directions, it skips out on some details for operating, but does give a good run through of the effects. // 7

Sound: I'm using an affinity bass with a Peavy Basic 112 tube amp. A few of the preset modes are very lame, but the one's I've made complimant my setup. It's wah's are better than any I've heard lately, and it's distortion, or fuzz sounds really good on bass. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far I haven't had any problems with it, I ussually don't use it at gigs, I use it at home for recording and at practices to give it a little better tone. I've used it for a few gigs to boost my tones, and it held up nicely there. // 8

Overall Impression: It stays with my rock and jazz styles, and my metal and funk, so it has a wide range to choose from. I've played for two yrs and I've only used this continously, I've used gutiar distortion and chorus's for some songs, and the settings on this pedal will match and in some cases surpass those ones. I love it's effects and amp models, but I hated it's price. I compared it to the Bass V-Amp, and BP80, and a synth+wah pedal. It has just about everything I need on it. // 9

BP200 Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on october 09, 2006

Ease of Use: Well, it's very easy to just screw around with the settings for a second and just come up with mind blowing sounds, some of them are almost like a really weird distortion. It comes with a booklet, which really helps you to get the sound you want. I usually use the funk filter setting, because that's the one that appeals to me the most, I guess because it's the closest to wah you'll get on here. But all you have to do is plug it in, turn some nobs and you're set. Changing the batteries, if you use them rather than an adapter, which I don't reccomend, is very easy. You just have to use an input cord to remove the foot pedal part, put in a new battery and you're set. // 9

Sound: The sound is amazing. It has insane funky sounds, the bass ya setting lives up to the title, it sounds like a robot saying "ya" in a distorted voice. My only problem is that it doesn't have a regular wah sound, which is really what I was looking for in this. But I love the funk filter settings. It's just that I can't see anybody using some of the sounds on here for reasons other than making their friends say "whoa!" // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this for seven or eight months, and so far I see no problem with the durability. It's a very heavy duty pedal, cased with metal. So far as I know, it's as reliable as can be. I think it has a six year warranty, which for eighty bucks is great. You can safely drop this pedal on the ground and be fine. It will not break unless you're very careless with it. I've had it for about eight months, and I've had no sound or construction problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this pedal is slighty flawed, but very worth the money. This would be a great pedal for anyone Who wants to make other-wordly techno sounds. I love the classic envelope filter setting, it's great for classic funky slap bass. I also really like the slow synth one, but I really only use that for one song, which is the synth intro for orion by Metallica. It has seven settings, and although a few are pretty much the same, there is some difference. Also, buy the pedal. When you use the batteries, they will be dead in just a couple of hours. I got and adapter for it for like fifteen bucks I think. This pedal is definately for any funk/techno sort of person, but don't be misled by the name of the pedal. This is NOT a wah pedal. It's and out-of-this-world techno pedal. // 1

BP200 Reviewed by: Cody_horton1, on june 27, 2007

Ease of Use: This thing is so easy to use a four year old could do it and there is the manual that goes over every thing. The only thing with editing sounds or making your own is that the manual doesn't tell you what all the effect do. It has another unit like it but this is the upgrade. // 9

Sound: It makes very good sound I'm using my Dean bass and my old drum amp. It has a ton of effects and you can make your own. It has a gain nob on it and a master volume so if the effects ever get to soft for you just crank up the volume. I mainly got this bass effect because I want to play Jimi Hendrix with it and I got the sound I wanted it's got like three different wah effects and you can make your own. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think I could definitely depend on it. It's made out of metal so you throw it around and it wont get hurt. I think this is the only effect I would bring to a gig because it has like 80 effects. The only thing is that it doesn't have a battery slot or at least I haven't found it, so your limited to how far you can go away from a plug in. // 10

Overall Impression: I normally play funk or metal and it fits me perfect. I don't even use have of them so it would pretty much fit anyones style. I've been playing for about a year. I own a Dean bass and I wish I would have got a different bass before using this because I think I could get much better sound. If it were taken or lost I would be pissed. It also has a tuner and before I got it I was having to tune by ear. The only thing I don't like is that a lot of the preset sounds sound the same. // 8

BP200 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2009

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. Just press the 'Select' button and every sound becomes instantly customizable. That's good, because you will be doing a lot of adjusting do to the mediocrity of the preset sounds.You can also change around the order of the effects so that you can easily Switch between overdrive, chorus, wah, phaser, etc, without having to travel long distances. Sometimes having to stomp on both the up and down pedals to engage the bypass can be a hassle. // 9

Sound: There's lots of sounds in this pedal, but I've found that many either don't sound very good or aren't usable onstage or sometimes even for recording. However, many of the sounds I create myself sound fantastic and I use them both onstage, in practice, and recording. Also, the user-created effects will let you get the sound you want from your favorite bands (I have created a NIN-style distortion and a Tool-style chorus). The overdrive/distortion effects always seem to add an annoying hiss to your sound, though. Also, the expression pedal has an extremely annoying tendency to want to go from 0 to 100 without any inbetween. I would either spend a couple days training your foot or simply eliminate it from all your effects. For wah, though, I'd adjust the minimum and maximum values to decrease the sweep and get the sound you want. Bottom line, this pedal is entertaining, but it's sounds are not very usable onstage unless you do some modifying. NOTE: I use a number of different active and passive basses running through this pedal to an Ampeg B2RE and a Gallien-Kreuger Goldline 4x10. Both active and passive basses work fine. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for 4 years, and it's still never had a durability issue. I've used this pedal as my only pedal on quite a few gigs and it's worked fine. I'd suggest adjusting the order of the effects for maximum onstage comfort first, though. The up and down pedals have taken a pounding over the years and still work without problems. I've dropped it more than a few times, even on concrete, and there has been no problems (though I wouldn't recommend dropping it frequently [duh]). // 10

Overall Impression: Because of the variety of genres I cover, the number of sounds available here is very nice. But because of the previously mentioned problem with the expression pedal, I have purchased a Crybaby and couldn't be happier with the upgrade in wah quality. This pedal is so useful once you customize the sounds, if it was lost/stolen and I couldn't afford something better, I'd instantly buy it again. // 7

More DigiTech reviews rating category latest review
+ JamMan Looper 9.6 Guitar Effects 09/11/2014