FX25B Envelope Filter Review

manufacturer: DOD date: 02/09/2011 category: Bass Effects
DOD: FX25B Envelope Filter
The FX25B is the reincarnation of our original envelope filter.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.1
 9.1
reviews (5) 4 comments vote for this gear:
FX25B Envelope Filter Reviewed by: UtBDan, on december 08, 2005

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a good sound out of this baby. The booklet comes with a few default setups, most of which are handy. It's very easy to customize and understand each little knobs purpose. There is a manual, it doesn't tell you much but it didn't need much. // 10

Sound: It gets a perfect '70s funk envelope sound. Looking for a Bootsy or Flea envelope? This'll do the trick up nice. Then what's the trouble, you say? DigiTech makes an envelope that costs twice as much that does this and more than five other effects (it IS called a Synth Envelope, though). This is the only area it lacks: diversity. It can get just about any pure envelope sound, but if you want more bang for your buck, the DigiTech envelope does this and a lot more. However, since it is an envelope filter and not a multi-FX pedal, I can't help but give it a 9. It is a great envelope. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's very reliable. Chews through batteries fairly quickly, but so does every other pedal in existance known to man. I would gig it without a backup, I'd just take a pack of 9V with me so I know if any of my effects run dry, I'm still good to go. It's very dependable, and I may have even dropped it a few times and its still going strong and shows no hint of wear, use, or destruction. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it, it's a great envelope filter. I've been playing for almost two years, own quite a bit of equipment, several basses several guitars a lot of effects and a few amps. I love its filter. The only problem is, in retrospect, I know if I saved a little more and spent a little more time before its purchase, I could've gotten the DigiTech. The DigiTech envelope does all this does, and then provides several other effects all without messing with the bypass tone. This doesn't mess with the bypass tone, but I just feel bad that this costs $40 and for $80 I could've gotten this and 5 or so other effects. At that, it still a great pedal for what it does; and if you don't want a synth effect, don't even think about opting for the DigiTech: just goe with this baby. However, I wanted a synth later on, and had no idea the DigiTech would provide a great envelope, a great synth, and more. With this, if it were stolen, I would save up and replace it with the DigiTech. However, I still love my DOD FX25B Envelope Filter. And I do recommend it to those looking for a great funk envelope. // 8

FX25B Envelope Filter Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 26, 2006

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound

Ease of Use: Extremely simple. There are only a few knobs, and once you've used it a few times, it's easy to get the sound you want. The manual has a bunch of set ups for different sounds, which is excellent. Flea uses and older model (I think), but I was able to get the same tone as he uses in some of his songs. Has a nice big ass Switch to press your foot on. // 9

Sound: The sound is awesome! I've tried heaps of envelope filters, including Boss's autowahs, double 0 Funk and none have been as good as this. If you want Flea, you've got it. If you want Bootsy Collins, you've got it. The sound is powerful, with an awesome range. I have a Fender Jazz Bass, and with the right settings on the bass and the pedal you can get the most funkalicous slap riff. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The thing is sturdy as hell. You could throw it off a building and it will survive (actually probably not, but you get my meaning). The switch is never gonna break from over use. The only thing I'd take as backup is extra batteries. Although, the batteries do last quite a while, and you could also buy an adapter for it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock/blues/funk, and this pedal is perfect. On stage I use my Fender Jazz Bass, DR High Beam strings (excellent), a 4x10" Hartke and a Hartke head, and with this little baby you can get the punchiest and funkiest sound ever. Unfortunately, some f--k head stole mine a few months ago, but I've been using money on some other gear (I've got a Boss GT-6B, so I use that autowah for now, it's not as good), and I'm investing in a Dunlop Bass Wah, so I'll probably buy this soon. If funk is your thing, buy this pedal. // 10

FX25B Envelope Filter Reviewed by: Miss G, on february 26, 2008

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use and very easy to get a good sound out. It comes with a manual, battery and product registration card. The manual gives information about the controls; blend, sensitivity, range, footswitch, led indicator and jacks. I says what the pedal does, has examples of settings and talks about the warranty. // 9

Sound: I mostly use my Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special and my Crate BT50 with this pedal. But it also sounds nice with a guitar. You can get a nice flea like sound with this pedal. It sounds like an auto wah should. it's exactly what I expected. Slapping can sound harsh and it sucks some bass out but with some EQ adjusting it can sound awesome. I don't notice any extra hum, noise or a volume drop with this pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank. The battery lasts awhile as long as you unplug it when your finished. I would defiantly use this at a gig without a backup. You could probably run this over with a trunk and it would still work. The knobs are on tight and the footswitch is strong. It would take a lot to even scratch this thing. Just have some extra 9 volt batteries and your good to go. // 10

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music and this pedal gets me the funky auto wah sound I was looking for. This is my first pedal. I've been playing almost a year, I had some extra money so I figured for $40 I couldn't go wrong with this pedal. Defiantly a good choice. If it were lost or stolen and I was on a budget I would replace this pedal. If not I would save and get a higher end auto wah. I love everything about this pedal. I haven't compared it to another auto wah but compared to Dunlop Crybaby (guitar) I like this better. You get about the same sound and you can spend more time playing bass (or guitar) instead using your foot. // 9

FX25B Envelope Filter Reviewed by: facelesspsyco13, on july 08, 2010

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

Ease of Use: DOD has made an utterly conventional stomp box, but for half the price. It has the normal three nob set up which everyone should be comfortable with. You definitely have to play with the controls to find what your looking for, unless your happy with the three settings in the manual, which admittedly needed a little work to make them sound their best. // 8

Sound: I'm using A Ibanez S470 and a Peavy Audition 25w Amp. This setup seems to work out fine with this pedal, Although It sometimes is hard to find the median between loud and quiet, seeming annoyingly Quacky at one moment and too quiet with small adjustments. It does a great job emulating the 70's funk of Parliment and funkadelic. But it does wonders on the lower setting Too, giving that personal touch to any solo. // 9

Reliability & Durability: the pedal has a full metal casing that like any other pedal will stand years of abuse, the I could see breaking the easiest on the pedal is the plastic setting nobs jutting an inch above any other part of the pedal. The other is the actual pedal Switch made out of thick, cheap plastic. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything I can ranging from metal to funk and I picked this up as gadget to fiddle with for awhile and found that it was actually a great pedal for most music by putting it on minimal levels. I've been playing for 2 years and if this was stolen or lost I'd buy another one. The only thing I hate about is the Pearlecent teal color they decide to paint it in. // 9

FX25B Envelope Filter Reviewed by: rohitfenderlove, on february 09, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Mine is a 1997 sparkle green(3 knobs) version. I bought it used 6 months ago. It's very easy to get nice funky sounds out of it. The knobs are wisely labeled. And if you find it hard to get good settings the manual, which is simply written has some preset settings to get you off. // 9

Sound: I play this through a Squier Jazz Bass through a Vox Pathfinder 10W bass amp. I also put a Boss ODB-3 and a Boss GEB-7 in my chain. This stompbox does not add any noise to your signal. The effect itself is incredibly funky. However, there is a slight volume drop and a slight drop in low end(more prominent if used with a guitar). But the effect in itself is so awesome that you really wouldn't be put off by those drawbacks. I use my GEB-7 along with the FX25B to boost my lows and volume lost due to the filter. Also I've noticed that this pedal works great with gain. It sounds a lot fuller and thicker. I've found the sweet spot to be at 11 o' clock on the Drive knob on my amp. If you're looking for those old-school 70s envelope filter sound or the Bootsy Collins or Flea sound and don't want to spend over $300 on a Mutron, this is the pedal to get. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal had seen TEN years of usage before I bought it, and even now it works great. It's built better than my Boss ODB-3 (and you know how well Boss pedals are built.) It's even heavier. A lot of people have complained about the DOD stomp Switch but I haven't had a problem with that yet even after being stomped on for 10 years! It seems to have a good battery life as well. I would definitely gig without a backup. However, NEVER and I mean NEVER use a non-DOD adapter with it. If you can't find one, then use batteries but don't use just any adapter. I learned this the hard way. // 8

Overall Impression: I play funk, rock, funk-rock/funk metal, blues and punk rock. You won't see bassists use this effect much outside funk and rock genres. I've never used it in my blues-rock band. However, you can use it whichever way you like it. With the right settings it can give you a great dub sound which would actually fit perfectly in a blues bassline. I've been playing for a year and a half and this is my most frequently used effect. DOD pedals are cheap and IMO will soon start becoming collectibles so I'm definitely NEVER selling mine. However, if I ever lose this, I'll probably buy a MXR Bass Envelope Filter as it doesn't have any volume/low-end loss and is more tweakable. For my needs this is versatile enough but this is no DigiTech Synth Wah. And I'm glad because the filter sounds on the DOD are a LOT more organic. If you want a great filter sound under $50 and can live with it's minor drawbacks, get this pedal. // 8

More DOD reviews rating category latest review
+ FX75C Stereo Flanger 4 Guitar Effects 07/09/2013