105Q Crybaby Bass Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 09/17/2007 category: Bass Effects
Dunlop: 105Q Crybaby Bass
The first wah pedal designed by bass players for bass players, the 105Q incorporates a new proprietary potentiometer and custom EQ circuitry, specifically optimized for bass frequencies.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Ease of Use: 9.7
 8.6
 8.9
 8.3
reviews (3) 23 comments vote for this gear:
105Q Crybaby Bass Reviewed by: Robb987123Bass, on september 17, 2007

Ease of Use: Using the Bass Crybaby is pretty easy, and having only two knobs makes it even easier! The first knob is a volume knob, and you find out quickly within playing with it how much to turn it if you want to increase or decrease the initial volume. The other knob, which adjusts the wah itself works in a similar fashion. Turn it a lot if you want a floor-shaking effect, or a little for a subtle sound. The manual does a great job of explaining the already easy to understand instructions in case you don't understand something. As far as I know, my unit has not been upgraded by anymeans, nor are there editing patches. // 9

Sound: I mainly use this effect with either a Squire Affinity P-Bass, or a Dean Quilted 6-String bass. The usual amp I use it through is a Behringer BX1200. As far as it being noisy goes, it can be easily adjusted with the volume knob, but as far as contributing to 'amp noise', it doesn't. The effects always sound great, but they usually work better with the Wah knob turned up more, so they can work on the lower notes. I never really tried to get any specific artists sound, but it sounds great when I use it for Metallica's 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' it sounds just like Cliff Burton's Wah! By far, it is the best Bass Wah I've ever used! However, I don't recommend trying to combine it with any other effects, except maybe a mild distortion, especially not Synth! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'd say that this is a pretty dependable product. I don't think the battery life is very long though, so I mainly use a OneSpot with a daisy chain for it and my other effects. In a gig, I'd probably use it without a backup (I'm not made of money) but I'd definitely bring a lot of extra batteries for it, depending on how long the gig is. // 7

Overall Impression: I mostly use it to play rock, and it works fine. If you're looking for a real 'funk' type wah, I'd say get a different one, like the Bootsy-Collins model. In addition to this pedal, I've used a few Boss pedals, a few basses and a couple amps in the 2-3 years I've been playing. I only wish I had played it before I bought it, so I could have compared it more directly to other ones I played. I think if it were to be misplaced, I'd buy another one. Probably not immediately, as I can use a multi-effects pedal for an emergency, but I'd definitely buy it again. The only thing I don't like is the lack of other knobs, having only two makes it seem too easy, and being able to adjust the shape further would be a great help. I only could really compare it to the various wahs on my DigiTech BP200, and it blew them all away. So, overall, I'd recommend this to anyone with an extra $100, or someone looking for a good pedal for the money. // 8

105Q Crybaby Bass Reviewed by: GreenDayChris, on october 15, 2005

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: It is really easy to get a good sound out of the CryBaby, just rock your foot back and forth! There are a couple of things you can change too. The 'Q' control allows you to change the sweep of the wah, from all the way to extreme trebleness to keeping it real bassy. I find however I nearly always have the 'Q' control turned up at least three quarters of the way. The other control is a Volume knob that can give a volume boost, or make your bass quieter for soft wah parts. I generally have this so the volume stays pretty level, with maybe a small boost. The manual is quite good, it explains the 'Q' and volume controls, and gives a couple of ideas of how to use the wah effectively. // 10

Sound: I use the wah with my Peavey Foundation 5, running into a Crate BT50. I don't the pedal to be noisy at all. To me the wah always sounds good, except when the 'Q' is turned all the way up or down the sweep gets a bit extreme. Coupled with the distortion from my amp it sounds great too. None of my favorite artists use the wah, as far as I know, but a lot of famous bassists such as Flea and the guy from Audioslave use it. I must say that the sound when running through a adaptor or on low battery is not as good, but still acceptable. One slightly annoying feature is the half second delay on the automatic off switch. This means your sound becomes very bassy for that half second before returning to normal. However it isn't really that noticeable, especially in a full band situation. If it really gets on your nerves there are plenty of guides on the internet to tell you how to 'fix' it (Harmony-Central reviews section has one of these). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used it on a gig without backup and it worked fine. I have had the wah a couple of months and it hasn't let me down. It seems like it should last. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, punk and ska from The Clash, through Hepcat to The Who and the odd bit of RHCP's. Especially for the funkier songs it sounds really great, but it can equaly be used more subtly on rock songs. The trebly open sound is great for ska too. I have been playing about 3 years and own, my Peavey Foundation 5, Crate BT50, Tanglewood 3FH and a fretless Jazz stlye bass, made from Ebay parts. If it were stolen, I would maybe buy it again as I really like the sound, however I would probably shop around at some other bass effects too. I love the sound and versatility of the pedal but th ehalf second dealy on turning off is annoying. I didn't really compare this to many other products, a few Boss bass pedals, but no ther wah's. // 8

105Q Crybaby Bass Reviewed by: ratbollocks, on march 03, 2006

Purchased from: Bmusic.com.au

Ease of Use: This awesome pedal is easy enough to use and get used to. With useful "Q" control, and volume control you can get a good "wah" out of it. Although, you will find yourself tuning up the Q all the way to get a real wah. It comes with a good basic manual but really aint needed, it is not rocket science. // 10

Sound: Right now, I'm running a Ashton AB2, this, and a Ibanez PD7 Distortion into a SWR LA 15 Bass amp. The effect engaged has no noise/feedback or anything. The effect sound is strong, But only if you have the Q up almost or up the whole way. I use this for playing Bassically/NIB bass solo and also Anesthesia and my own stuff. When using this with Distortion, I suggest putting the Distortion first in the line, Wah following. If you put the wah first you get crap distotion when combined and when disengaged their is a delay far more obvious than vice-versa. But still, It has a great sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can I depend on it? Hell yeah! This thing is built like a tank with full metal casing and made in the USA. Would I use without a back up at a gig? Defiantly, no doubt. Although, take a spare battery. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal kicks ass! I play metal, hard rock, blues, whatever through this, it is a good match for sure! If it were stolen I would defiantly go get another, find the person and whack them over the head with it. It would hurt because of the heavy metal shell. There is nothing I hate about it, love this thing. // 10

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013