M181 MXR Bass Blowtorch Review

manufacturer: Dunlop date: 04/29/2008 category: Bass Effects
Dunlop: M181 MXR Bass Blowtorch
Turn up the heat with the Bass Blowtorch, a revolutionary new concept in bass overdrive from MXR Bass Innovations. Fire it up for the hottest bass sounds this side of Hades, anything from the traditional tube-like growl to scorching high gain distortion. By focusing the overdrive in the midrange frequencies, the Bass Blowtorch lets you retain low end thunder and high-end sizzle while distorted mids blaze a path through even the densest mix.
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
M181 MXR Bass Blowtorch Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2008

Purchased from: Chandler Guitars

Ease of Use: It is very hard to get a bad sound out of the Blowtorch. There are lots of knobs and switches which do look abit confusing, but after a few minutes of being with the blowtorch you don't care and just want to play. I do not think it is possible to modify the blowtorch as the allan keys are of a dimension I do not have (something between 2.5 and 3). The manual is simplistic, but tells you what everything does, which does really help. It comes with several adverts for other Dunlop products, but they just live at the bottom of the box. It is a joy to use. // 9

Sound: I use a Westfield B1000 (I hate it), and a Marshall MB15. When testing in store I used an original American built Fender Jazz Bass and a Marshall MB60, which sounded fantastic, but my home setup still sounds great. No, it makes no noise at all, on every setting there absolutly no noise; it is amazing! The only way that you don't get any difference is when you have the volume knob on zero. Also when the Blend knob is on zero then there is no diference in sound. Apart from that, the effects are amazingly strong. By turning up the treble I get a perfect replica of Muses Hysteria, and fiddling about with the various setings you can get almost any Muse song. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would say that I can depend on it, it has a super hard coasing made of Zinc, which repels most of the damage I have already tried to do to it; dropping it off my desk, letting go of the bag it was in and more. I think it is very reliable and I know it is very Durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play music by Muse and music which is similar to it; Radiohead and also a few classics; Oasis and AC/DC. I have been playing bass since Xmas. This is my first pedal and I don't think I will be going out to buy another for a long time. I asked all I wanted and how much voltage (18v), sizes (can't remember off the top of my head). Is there is anything you would like to ask, I would advise asking at your local dealership or going to the Dunlop website. If it were stolen, then I would personally find the person Who took it and kill them, it is that important to me. I would hopefully never loose it as I rarely let it out of my bedroom or out of my site. I would however, save up and go and buy another straight away. I love the way by simply twisting a knob, the sound changes drastically. I specially like the bass. I haven't yet found anything about it to hate, it is all so great! My favourite feature is the 'Torch' button, it goes from fuzz to extreme. I would have liked to compare it to the Zvex Woolly Mammoth, but the shop I went to stopped stocking them after Zvex were unreliable in delivering the products. I love it just the way it is. As I have said before, I love it! It is perfect! // 9

More Dunlop reviews rating category latest review
+ SW-95 Slash Cry Baby 8.9 Guitar Effects 06/24/2013