Bass Big Muff Pi Review

reviews (3) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Bass Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: Argentos, on march 11, 2010

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: The Rock Inn

Ease of Use: Simplicity is this great green pedal's finest point. Plug and play, without too much fiddling to get a great sound. The basic design is quite similar to the standard Big Muff Pi, the only difference being that this pedal has a 'Bass Boost' function(more on that later). 3 pots, Volume, Tone and Sustain. The manual for this pedal is quite underwhelming, one page back and front. It does, however, explain everything you need to know in that one page. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal with my Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 4, and into a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200. Just about any sound you can get from this unit will sound good. If you're not used to using a fuzz/distortion pedal then you will need to be careful, as feedback, etc. now become a problem for you. I find that this unit can be quite loud, great if you need it, I usually have the volume on about 2-4. The only artist that springs to mind that uses this kind of effect is Christopher Wolstenholme (thank you Wikipedia), the bassist in Muse. It is really easy to get the same sound as in the 'Hysteria' intro. The Bass Boost is only good in certain circumstances. It keeps the low end of your sound intact. This means that certain pieces of music, like the previously mentioned 'Hysteria', can sound incredibly muddy and noisy. Turning this Switch off can clean up that sound, making it tighter, sounding better for more intricate parts. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The unit's construction is very sturdy, it looks like I could Drive my car over it and it would come out smiling. I would use it at a performance without a backup, I would change the battery beforehand, however, just in case. The little Switch that changes between Bass Boost and the normal function looks a little fragile, and I am constantly afraid of breaking it off when using the switch. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of things, mostly more alternative stuff, and this is a great pedal for that sort of thing. I've been playing for a few years now, and this is the first effect pedal I have purchased. I am glad to say that I do not regret buying this pedal at all. I had a slight problem with trying to obtain one, as all the stores in my area were sold out of this pedal, I had to get one ordered in. The standard Big Muff Pi is much more popular. I love most of all the fact that this pedal is easy to get a good sound out of, without too much fiddling. The thing that really annoys me about ti is having to unplug it when nit in use, to avoid draining the battery. // 7

Bass Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: Von II, on february 20, 2012

Price paid: € 74

Purchased from: musicstore.com

Ease of Use: It's very easy to get a great sound out if it, any setting from a little bit of fuzz to the wall of distortion it creates. Packaging was simple but good, don't think I looked at the manual, and then again: 9v battery, use the switches and knobs which are all labeled. Pretty straightforward. // 9

Sound: I play an ESP LTD AX104 bass through a Behringer BXL3000 amp. I have also used this on a 175w G&K and a Roland Cube 60. I basically got this pedal after I got enough money to spend it on a nice pedal with some fuzz/distortion. Why? I am a fan of distortion in general and Cliff Burton. He used an original (guitar not bass) Big Muff or some of the sorts, so I thought I couldn't go wrong with something Burton played, but then "optimized" for bass. Aside from the three knobs "Volume, Tone, Sustain", it has a tiny switch which has "Dry, Normal, Bass". Now, the knobs are pretty straightforward like I said. You get the sound you want out of here, I turn Tone and Sustain on about 2 o'clock to get a sweet Motrhead sound (with the according amp settings - no bass and pumped mid's), and all the way for the Pulling Teeth/Anesthesia sound. I also use it on a 9 o'clock stance for some light fuzz. It all sounds fantastic. HOWEVER! It goes completely lost in a band's mix. Maybe this goes for all bass distortion, but what sounds great in your bedroom sounds like a "detuned low volume nasty Chinese guitar" or goes completely unheard when you play with a heavy metal band or a band with distorted guitars. Also, which can be annoying as well is how much it can... Well, sustain. If you turn it down, you lose the sound you want. If you keep it there and you play like some open E's and then a single note on another string and not mute it, it will ring and dominate your whole sound. You can use the switch on Bass to get your clean sound with the distortion being like an addition, or Dry to get well, a dry sound. I usually just put it on Normal and only use distortion when it's needed, rather than using light fuzz all the time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's very very strong and tightly built. I would throw it off the Empire Building and take it to a gig without checking if it works. But I would change the battery, because it can eat a cheap battery in about a month, and I'm too lazy/poor to buy an adapter. // 9

Overall Impression: I wish I looked more into stuff I could use to "crank up dat bass" when playing with a band, rather than having the epicness only during solo's or the bedroom/two person jam. It is however a top above other Dist pedals I have or have tried. It is much better than any Boss or DigiTech stuff. To be honest, the one that comes closest is an early 90's Boss HM-2 guitar distortion pedal. If it were stolen, it wouldn't be the first I'd buy, but I would want it back sometime soon. Also, this thing freaking rocks with a WahWah pedal!!! // 9

Bass Big Muff Pi Reviewed by: BenGriffiths, on may 21, 2012

Purchased from: Andertons, Guildford

Ease of Use: The Big Muff is really easy to use like some of the other Electro-Harmonix bass pedals out there, it has three knobs, volume, tone and sustain, it also has a toggle switch option, this has the options of, bass boost, dry and normal. It really is just plug in and play kind of pedal, no messing or fine tuning of the knobs. The pedal came with a instruction manual, one sheet printed back and front. // 10

Sound: The Big Muff Pi is really easy to find a sound that you want, after figuring out what each knob does its just experimenting and finding the sound you want. This pedal has a option of bass boost, this just boosts the low end sound over the top of the distortion, mainly so you don't get lost in the mix or want to annoy your next door neighbors. I bought this pedal to try and re-create some sound from Muse's bassist, and that's exactly what I did, using this pedal and playing songs such as hysteria and starlight make you sound just like them, how awesome! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is as solid as pedals go! Could run over it with a car and use it at a gig you have later on. I would defiantly rely on this pedal without a back up, however I do recommend on using it with a 9v adaptor so you don't go through batteries. // 10

Overall Impression: I play I wide range of different genres and this pedal is great for most. You can replicate some of Muse's stuff, RATM and then some of the heavy metal stuff. If this pedal was stolen I would defiantly get a replacement. I love this pedal, the simplicity is great, like most of the Electro-Harmonix its a plug in and play kind of jobbie and that's why I love it, it also sound amazing. Overall this is one of the best bass distortion pedal on the market for a nice price. // 9

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Nano Small Stone Phase Shifter 8.5 Guitar Effects 12/10/2014