Bass Blogger Review

reviews (2) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Bass Blogger Reviewed by: ICOG, on july 30, 2010

Price paid: A$ 330

Purchased from: Local Store

Ease of Use: This is a very simple pedal to use. It has three dials, 'volume' 'tone' and 'drive', each of them fairly self explanatory. They each respond how you would expect making it very easy to change the tone and style of the distortion. The 'fuzz/drive' Switch is a bit deceiving (see the sound section below) but once you work out how it functions it is very easy to use this to get the sort of distortion you would like. The manual is actually useless, but only due to the fact that it takes so little time to work out this pedal. // 8

Sound: I am running this pedal through a cheap Fender P Bass into a 15 watt Fender Rumble bass amp. Obviously, due to this, the sound quality I am getting is inferior to someone with better equipment. This pedal is slightly noisy, especially with the 'tone' dial towards the treble end of the scale. For recording this may be a problem but for live gigs it presents no real problem. The distortion is very versatile, you can get an over the top Black Metal Drive and a subtle dirty rock and roll edge from this pedal. Just be careful of the 'fuzz/distoriton' switch. The fuzz is not actually a warm fuzz (as I was hoping), you won't sound like Muse with this pedal, but rather a change in tone of the distortion. There are limitations to the sound you can get from this pedal, but what it can do it does quite well. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This has been, so far, a reliable pedal. It is solidly built, doesn't rattle when you shake it and could probably withstand heavy boots crushing down on the bypass switch. My only concern is that the 'fuzz/drive' Switch is located close to the bypass switch, presenting the possibility of breaking the small switch. If you are carefull this shouldn't happen, but in a live setting this (to me) presents a serious concern. // 7

Overall Impression: To be honest, this pedal was a bit of a mistake on my behalf. Why I decided to buy a distortion pedal during a period where most of what I listened to was Bob Marley I shall never know. My band plays music that doesn't really require bass distortion so as a consequence I don't think I will be using this pedal for much other than noodling around alone. For that it is perfectly fine. I only really regret not taking the time to work out the difference between the 'fuzz/drive' Switch first, as I bought if partially under the impression that I would sound like Muse. For what it is it is very expensive, but here in Australia most gear is. I think next time I will be more careful in looking for a pedal, making sure it mathces what I need rather than what I want. Overall, it is a decent pedal but overpriced for what it is. If you can get it cheaper (and have more need of it than I do) I would recommend it, but if you're like me and just want something for private use I would say keep looking. // 5

Bass Blogger Reviewed by: T.B, on october 17, 2011

Price paid: € 66

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Ease of Use: The Blogger is a very simple pedal, it has a Volume, Tone and Drive knob. It also has a Fuzz/Drive switch. When you have the switch switched to Drive the Volume knob is inactive. So the quite pedal is easy to use. It has a Input, Effect Out(output) and Dry Out(bypass) jack. The thing that I was the most disappointed with was the power options. There's a battery that works well and then there's the 9V optional power supply. The power supply has to be a EHX power supply so you can't use the same as you do with you're other pedals. The manual is a small piece of paper with only the most important things you need to know. It's not very useful. // 8

Sound: Ok, I'm using a Fender American Standard P-Bass and a Fender Rumble 60 for the moment. For such a cheap pedal I think it sounds really great. I mostly play in the Drive mode with the tone turned up pretty high and the Drive rather low, but you can also turn up the Drive and get a very hardcore kind of sound. The fuzz/overdrive isn't high quality but then again it's a very cheap pedal and you get what you pay for. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a very reliable pedal. It's made out of metal and it's built like a tank but you have to be careful with the Fuzz/Drive switch. // 9

Overall Impression: I play almost everything but I play different kinds of 80's metal the most like Rush and Mr. Big and I think the pedal is very suitable for that kind of music. I've been playing bass for only 5 years. I have two other basses, a Dean and a Stagg Jazz Bass(cheap Fender copy), a Marshall MB450H and MBC410, a couple of electric guitars and amps. So in conclusion, I'm very happy with this pedal and I recommend it to everyone. // 10

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014