Bass Metaphors Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 03/27/2012 category: Bass Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Bass Metaphors
The Electro-Harmonix Bass Metaphors Compressor Pedal has a distortion design that melds carefully selected compression with bass specific EQ. You get tonality structure for your bass with a rock solid foundation.
 Ease of Use: 9.5
 7.7
 9.1
 6.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Bass Metaphors Reviewed by: muzikman 404, on march 06, 2009

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal in October of '08. This pedal is so easy to learn how to use. You can just look at it and you will automatically know how to use it. The only thing weird about it is the compression. There's no actual knob for compression level or anything. It's just a "volume" knob. But actually, the volume knob is basically a volume and compression knob in one. That took me like a a few days to figure it out. Besides that, I figured out everything else really easily. One knob and Switch for distortion. Easy as that. The bypass Switch acts as a Switch for the preamp and everything else besides distortion. Easy enough. It comes with a good manual that will explain everything too. // 9

Sound: I use this with an Ampeg combo and a BBE Sonic Stomp right after the pedal. The compression really sucks away the tone totally, and without the BBE Sonic Stomp, the sound is pretty much dead and toneless. I highly recommend having this pedal first in your rig and a sonic stomp after this pedal to revive the tone that it sucked away. But it compresses good and does it's job. You can also blend the compressed signal with the dry signal to get some tone back too by turning the "dry" knob up to match the compression knob. The distortion really is not very strong, unless you're playing loud with the knob turned all the way up, but it still isn't that strong. I mainly use the distortion as a boost effect, because it gives it a sharper, louder sound when you step on the Switch. If you want true, fiery overdrive, I recommend getting another pedal, like the Boss ODB-3. The EQ is pretty good and sounds decent, but there's definitely not very much you can do with only two knobs. The only thing that I really wish this pedal had was a mid knob so you can contour and scoop the tone. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made of metal, and is monstrously huge. I've dropped this pedal a few times, and kicked it, and it's still good as new. I would gig with this pedal without a backup tomorrow, next week, next month, next century and I would have No Doubt that I could rely on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of music and this pedal is good for all of them, except heavy distortion metal. Boss ODB-3 is perfect for that. I've been playing for 2 years and have had a few gigs, and I also own an ODB-3, BBE Sonic Stomp, and an EBS MultiComp. I love this pedal because there's so many things packed into one pedal, so it's easy to set up, but I really wish that the compression didn't kill the tone and there was a mid knob in the EQ. I hiiiiiighly recommend this to musicians Who are short on money and need decent effects, pre amp, and DI. If you have money to spend, DON'T get this pedal; get separate pedals for each individual effect, because the effects on this pedal aren't that great. Boss ODB-3, EBS MultiComp, and Boss GEB-7 EQ would all be pretty good, but cost around 350 to buy them all, and plus you need cables to connect them, power, etc. If I lost this pedal, depending on my situation, if I happen to be short on money, I would mos def buy this pedal again, but if I happened to have some money, I would get separate pedals instead. // 8

Bass Metaphors Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 27, 2012

Price paid: € 98

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: It is wery easy to use. On top there is controls for volume distortion, EQ level, treble, bass and dry. there's also switch for compressor. The controls for comp are hidden under backplate. It comes with manual but they aren't really needed. // 10

Sound: EQ and comp kicks a-s! I use it with Behringer Eurorack and sometimes with different amps. Distortion works well if you don't use it on full drive. You can get bright slap sounds to the ground breaking bassboosts and of course everything between! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can take my personal sound anywhere with that massive box! I use it everytime when I go to play a gig. Its shell is about 4mm thick! // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly fusion jazz, prog rock\metal, and thrash and metaphors got the right tone to all of them. My main bass is ESP LTD Vintage-204 with Seymour Duncan SPB-3 and STK J2B pickups, Babizc FCH bridge and main part of my Rotosound RS66LD. EHX Bass Metaphors is my main effect but I also use Zoom B1 and Behringer BOD400. If it gets stolen or lost I'm going to buy new one! I love it's comp. I have compared it to MXR Bass D.I.+ and Sansamp Bass Driver D.I. and EHX owns them on EQ and comp (MXR or Sansamp doesn't even have compressor!) but loses to them on dist. // 10

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014