Big Muff Pi (Made In Russia) Review

manufacturer: Electro-Harmonix date: 12/09/2005 category: Bass Effects
Electro-Harmonix: Big Muff Pi (Made In Russia)
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi Distortion Pedal (Made in Russia). Reissue distortion/sustainer effect. Requires 9-volt battery.
 Ease of Use: 9.7
 8.5
 8.9
reviews (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Big Muff Pi (Made In Russia) Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2003

Purchased from: Micro Music

Ease of Use: Err... 3 pots, Volume, tone and sustain. One big button (on/off) and that's it. Not rocket science! // 10

Sound: I use this with my Epiphone Thunderbird bass through a Laney HCM120B bass combo. It sounds really good. Plenty of vintage distortion effects from a harsh blues breakup to a devastating metal drive. Also offers great sustain. However, sound tends to deterierate as battery runs low. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this live without problem ant the build quality is excelent. Although the controll knobs are a little exposed and could be stood on at a dark venue. Also, no mains supply option is a dissappointment. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock bass guitar and this pedal is mainly used to add punch to my chorus basslines. For the price it realy is a steal and i would replace it if stolen. Although I may try the USA one and see what the difference is. // 8

Big Muff Pi (Made In Russia) Reviewed by: eetfuk, on august 09, 2004

Purchased from: Musik Magazinet

Ease of Use: It is certainly big and the pots (those you turn on, cause I've might be mistaken on the english terms) are great, you do not have to bend a bit to change settings. Since the buttons are long and not round it's made perfectly to go between two toes. The on and off button are good too, it's a small button but you cant miss it at all. // 10

Sound: This pedal can be both noisy and and good, depends on the settings, if you want noisy this is the pedal for you, and if you dont want noisy, turn of the sustainer. I've runned this on a Cort action bass, onto a Peavey TNT 100 very old amp. I've connected this to an AW-3 dynamic wah, and an Toneworks multieffects. If you mix a bit and have little sustain(but not completly off) and a bit under 50% distortion you can make a Cliff Burton sound! I am to connect this with a Morley Power wah boost for detuned guitars and basses to get the ultimate Bass DS sound. The only negative thing with this is if any of your other strings are making sound, like the example above, you will hear both sounds like a flat cardboard, you dont get a heavy fat distortion sound, but some noisy stuff that is not pritty! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes! This is Russian quality at its very best, it even beat the Japanese. Seriously this is great, just remember to change batteries, cause it has no possibilites to be plugged into the wall. I've played LOTS of hours on this set of batteries, it lasts mounths. But what if you havent changed in a while? Just make your sound tech change or check the batery before a show! You don't need an adapter. You have one less wire to be conserned about and batteries are always easy to get. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metallica, and during the chorus on seek you can hear distortion bass, this pedal is the same used, and I hear no diffrence. The pots are easy to configure, the sound is great as long as you mute an open sting when you play on frets higher than 14, you get this wery quickly. // 10

Big Muff Pi (Made In Russia) Reviewed by: lost_it_again, on december 09, 2005

Purchased from: Bruce Miller

Ease of Use: They don't come much simpler than the big muff, 3 simple pots to get your head round; volume (just match it so that the clean and distorted signals are the same volume), then there's just the matter of mixing the tone and sustain untill you reach the desired level of filthy distorted pleasure. The one complaint I have as with all other big muff russian users is the lack of a DC input, which is a real annoyance if you have a pedal board and one of those dc adaptors for it then it'll just complicate matters for you. // 9

Sound: The sound from this unit is great, it's very hard to get a sound that isn't cool, I play into a roland amp with a marhsal compressor pedal, I use different basses depending on where I am, most of the time it's my five string, it gets good tone but on the b string (down tuned to a) it sounds too muddy towards the botom of the audio specturm but it sounds cool on every other note. However it is hard to get a softer distorted tone, this is where it's simple design can be it's downfall, a mix nob or an onboard EQ would really make it alot more versitile. to get a less harsh sound you can turn the tone nob down but this leaves the signal sounding very flat, you can turn down the sustain nob to try and kill some of the harshness but that just leaves it feeling very wooly. To sum up; the sound it produces is great but very limited. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is probably the most reliable pedal I've come across, I'd gig without a backup any day, the battery life is pretty long aswell, I've been playing with my Muff for a week now and I hardly ever turn it off, and there's no sign of the battery dying. The construction is very solid as well, kind of simple but rough and highly effective, much like a Russian Kalashnikov, I've not dared do the infamous test of dropping the pedal to see if it survives the fall because I'm afraid it'll damage my floor. // 9

Overall Impression: Despite the lack of tonal options, it is a great weapon to have at your disposal. At first I was going to buy a Boss ODB3 pedal, but I'm a cheapskate and I found one of these brand new on eBay and I couldn't resist the super low price, when I plugged it in for the first time I realised how foolish of me it would have been to buy a common Boss pedal, instead I am glad to now own a real piece of hardware, I suggest that you get one too. // 10

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014