Switchblade Channel Selector Review

review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Switchblade Channel Selector Reviewed by: SPANISHDAVE, on may 02, 2013

Price paid: € 29

Purchased from: Woodbrass.com

Ease of Use: Spoiler alert, I have rated this pedal 10 in every sections. I have done this because for what I need and use it for it just could not be better. I haven't given gold stars away willy nilly, it absolutely works perfectly for me. I am lucky enough to own a couple of basses which I use in the band I play in. I was turning bass and amps down and off, unplugging one bass, plugging in the other, turning everything up and on again between songs... And getting dirty looks from the singer and guitarist. I had no idea what an A-B pedal was but when I found out I was intrigued. I could only find people reviewing and talking about A-B and A-B-Y pedals to go from one guitar to 1/2/3 amps or effects etc, so I sent a quick email to customer services at EHX asking if the pedal would work if I basically turned it upside down and did 2 into 1 instead of 1 into 2. They answered within a day or two, "er... Wow... Yeah that's a great idea, it should work perfectly!" // 10

Sound: The Switchblade is completely manual, no batteries, no power input required at all and it was only 29. So, it arrives in the post, and I take it along to rehearsal. I have a '90s Epiphone Les Paul bass in Cherry Sunburst and a Tanglewood Canyon 4 with the Migthy Mite PU. Some suspicious and worried looks that I now have a pedal in front of me. Plug in the two basses, on lead into the amp. Bingo. It makes no difference to the sound, no hums, buzzes or hisses. Stomp, one bass, stomp, you've got the other. Bass changes mid set, or even in a bizarre emergency, mid song takes seconds. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Metal casing, no power input needed. Literally nothing can go wrong with this pedal. I can't even begin to Imagine the horrible things you would have to do to it to try and break it. Works perfectly live and is probably the best 29 I have spent. This field requires 500 characters minimum but there really is nothing else to tell so this is my favourite joke. A guy with a huge Orange head goes in to see a doctor. The doctor says, "How did you get such a huge Orange head?" The guy says, "Well, one day I was walking down the beach when I tripped over an old lantern. A genie came out and said, I'll grant you three wishes, whatever you desire... What is your first wish? ' I said, I'd like all the money I could ever spend.' The genie went Poof!', and there it was, all the money I could ever spend. Then he said, What is your second wish? ' I said, I'd like a beautiful woman to love me, someone I could enjoy this money with.' The genie went Poof! ', and there she was, a gorgeous girl who immediately loved me. Then the genie said, And what is your third wish? '... And I think this is where I went wrong... I said, I'd like a huge Orange head.'" // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing bass/guitar/drums in bands for 16 years, mostly Rock with some more Rock to mix it up a bit. My bass set up is, '90s Epiphone Les Paul bass, Tanglewood Canyon 4, OLP Musicman, Ashdown Drive Plus pedal, MXR Phase 90, Boss ODB3, Bushy Bison, Fender pedal tuner all plugged into a Hughes And Kettner Basskick 505 (reviewed on here too). If it were lost or stolen I would buy the exact same pedal in a heartbeat. It is small enough to fit on any pedal board no problems and it doesn't need power (massive plus!). Once I had a rough idea it would work, 29 was a no brainer. If you swap guitars mid set I highly recommend it. // 10

More Electro-Harmonix reviews rating category latest review
+ Knockout Attack Equalizer 8.5 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014