PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/09/2011 category: Bass Effects
Ibanez: PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive
The PD7 lets bass players get in on the action. Ibanez has loaded this unit with 3 pre-amp style voicings and an attack control switch that accents the amount of harmonic content. It also features Drive, Lo, Hi, and Level knobs.
 Ease of Use: 8.6
 8.4
 7.8
reviews (11) 10 comments vote for this gear:
PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: the_guy, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Ease of Use: Very easy to use pedal, there is a volume knob, a Drive knob, and a couple of EQ controls (low and hi). There are 2 slide switches each with 3 modes. The one on the left switches between clean (shapes and rounds your tone), overdrive (for some heavy bass), and distortion, which can rise to some incredible levels. The one on the right controls the amount of 'attack' in your Drive. LED light, runs on 9V battery or adaptor. It's very easy to get a good sound of thanks to the versatile EQ and the endless tonal possibilities. // 10

Sound: I use this with an Epiphone Thunderbird and a Hartke A100 amp, and I can get a huge range of tones, which sound incredible. I love the clean mode; it brings out the low growl in my Thunderbird. I use the highest attack setting in the clean mode to give a crunchy fat tone. The overdrive and distortion settings are immense; most pedals give distortion but take away the bottom end of the bass. Not this pedal. The overdrive is fat and punchy, and can range from a slightly driven bluesy crunch to full on insane overdrive. The distortion channel is my favourite, lovely, warm and powerful; I have finally found my tone. It is easy to get sounds from bands like Muse with this pedal. I normally have the Drive and lo EQ at 2 o clock and the high EQ at 4 o clock, to get a rich rocky sound. I love the way this pedal adds to the bass's high end as well, especially on distortion modes, where the high end is soulful and warm, yet still as distorted as the lower end. They is a slight hiss noise from the amp when this pedal is on but this doesn't really get annoying and it goes away when your actually playing something. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal, even with constant heavy use. The footswitch is solid and not to easy/hard to press down. Everything feels solid and the control knobs can be pushed into the pedal to prevent damage. This pedal is as solid as higher priced Boss pedals. I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup; it feels much more expensive than the 40 it was bought for. // 10

Overall Impression: I play modern rock/indie, and this pedal can do all this plus more extremely well. I try to find my own tone now rather than replicate other artist's tones and I have finally found my sound. I have been playing for 2 years and I own an Epiphone Bass and a Hartke 100w combo. If it were stolen/lost, I would go out and buy another because they're so cheap, and better sounding than the Boss O/D pedals, because they do a better job of holding the basses low end, I discovered this when I tried both out at a local store. I love the range of tones and features like the clean mode and the attack function, so I can achieve my sound; good thumping lows with an aggressive punchy distortion. The only thing I dislike is the hiss when nothing is being played, but this is being very picky and for the price I couldn't be more satisfied. Ibanez pedals rock! // 10

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: G-Rock, on november 15, 2004

Ease of Use: When I first got the pedal, it was pretty confusing to use. Really frustrated me the first couple of days and I actually thought of sending it back (man what a mistake that would have been!) After messing around with the settings they give you and tweeking around with that, it's easy. // 8

Sound: I have a Peavey 112 amp and if you put this through the Post EQ Efx Loop, it sounds like crap. Pure and utter crap. You have to run it straight. A very tiny bit of noise, but that's expected. All the setups for this sound great, even the fret noise is beautiful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a very solid pedal. Looks like it could stand a beating. I've only had it a little while, havn't gigged, but it's very well put together. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Primus and RHCP at the moment, which both have pedal-using bassists. With my Samick, I can get the crunch from Around The World or even Jerry Was A Racecar Driver. It's amazing. There is no doubt I would bring swift justice on the head of whoever stole it from me with random blunt objects. If you love the dirty bass sound, you need this. // 10

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: SnwBoardKing89, on december 21, 2004

Purchased from: Music Plus

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty easy to use. It's got a level knob for the overall volume of the pedal, low an high EQ knobs, and a drive knob so you can choose how much overdrive or distortion you want. It has three preamp style voicings which are clean which overrides the drive knob, distortion, and overdrive. It's also got an attack switch with three settings; off, 1 or 2. Off is off, 1 is filtering out some highs, and 2 is filtering out even more highs. // 8

Sound: The sound from the pedal is awesome. I use a Ibanez SRX300 bas through a Ibanez SW65 amp. It is noisy though when you have your amp at high volume, there is a lot of static and if you are playing and your amp is up all the way you get a ear screaching high pitched noise. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The only way you can truley depend on this pedal is to buy the adapter, it eats away at batteries very quickly. I would definetly use the pedal without a back up. It's got a nice metal casing that could survive a nuclear bomb. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, punk, and rock. I use it mostly when I'm playing metal, it just sounds out of place when I play punk, unless I'm playing a bass solo. If it were lost or stolen I would definetly buy a new one, then find the guy who took it and kick his ass and get the old pedal back, then use one for Overdrive and the other for distortion. // 8

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: zappp, on october 22, 2003

Ease of Use: The PD7 isn't exactly the easiest overdrive I've ever used. With drive, volume, 2 band EQ, mode, and attack controls, it can take quite a bit of tweaking before you can find the sound you like. There is a manual, but all it basicly does is explain what each knob and switch does. That really doesn't bother me, I always think the best way to find out what a pedal can do is to play around with it. Although it can take a while to find the sound you like, I still give a high score, considering all the tonal options. // 8

Sound: This is probably one of the best OD/Distortion pedals I've ever used for bass. Because of all the tone controls mentioned above, you can get a pretty wide variety of sounds. The knobs are pretty self explanatory, but the switches could probably use some explaining. First, the "attack" switch. The manual says it can add no, some, or lots of overtones. I really haven't been able to decide if that's what it's really doing or not. It actually seems to soften the sound sometimes, I think it's connected to a noise gate. The "mode" switch can offer Clean, OD, or Dist. The clean option gives a two band EQ, volume boost, and the attack switch. I never use this, it isn't at all what I got it for. OD is an overdrive. I use this the most. Dist is distortion. It can get very heavy and act like a fuzz if turned up enough. Generally speaking, this unit isn't very noisy, especially when compared to other ODs, such as the Boss. It can get noisy if you turn up the hi and drive knobs, but in my opinion it sounds best with the hi turned down a little anyway. In that case, it really isn't too bad. I run an Ibanez EDC705 into a SWR Workingman's 15 with PD7>Crybaby Bass>Boss Bass Chorus through the effect loop with about a 1:1 wet:dry ratio. Mixing in some dry signal sound very nice with this pedal, keeping the tone and defintion of your original sound, with the crunch of a distortion. The PD7 interacts very well with my chorus, but the Crybaby tends to fight with it. You don't really get much distorted sound when you run the PD7 before the wah, and don't get much wah when you run it after. It's a kind of trade off, but I like letting the wah win. The hardest part about getting used to this is some chords will cancel each other that. Not that I ever play chords on my bass, but if you let one string continue to ring while you hit another, the sound sometimes breaks up. There are a few intervals this thing does not like. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Hard metal, seems tough, and hasn't failed on me. Like all pedals, I'd use either an adaptor or fresh batteries for live playing, but that one is common sence. // 8

Overall Impression: Probably the best bass overdrive/distortion I've ever used, especially for the price. // 10

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: zappp, on october 22, 2003

Ease of Use: I'm going to be upfront about this product. It is a stop box w/ 4 knobs: volume, bass, high, and drive. there are 3 different modes: clean, OD, distortion, and they each have 3 different voicings. In short it is a stomp box. you touch your foot on the pedal to turn it off and on. yeehaw. // 8

Sound: The distortion and OD sound decent, the Clean boost is my favorite. I play through an SVT III, 4x10" Carvin Cab w/ horn, and 2x10" + 18" loaded w/ carvin 10"s and an EV 18" through a Musicman Sterling Bass. I wanted to get a pedal to emulate guitar-like tones, and read a few reviews here stating that this pedal could do this, and well... didn't really cut the mustard in that regard... sounded good, but not what I was looking for. BUT, the Clean Boost is AWESOME when ya kick it on it's a wee bit "hissy" but it cranks out some serious CRUNCH. I've been using a SANSAMP Bass Driver for my boost channel, and for $140 less than the cost of it, the Ibenez absolutely leaves that thing in the dust. To ebay with the Sansamp (don't get me wrong, I'd highly recomend the SANSAMP as well, just not for the applications I'm using it for now). GREAT CLEAN BOOST channel...a nice surprise, it really throws the bass upfront (shellac, jesus lizard, cop shoot cop, barkmarket style). I was surprised... for the cost the sound is awesome, and it has 2 other channels w/ 3 voicings a piece as added incentive to buy. If I had it all over to do it again, I would, except I'd buy it cheaper used. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Dunno yet, I've had Ibanez stuff in the past and never had ANY problems. Best Korean and Japanese music stuff you can buy in my opinion. // 8

Overall Impression: I play very DYNAMIC music from light and pretty sung and moderately pretty to full on heavy dischordant blow my speakers technical torturesque stuff... again, it was so cheap I'd buy another if it was lost stolen or covered in blood. I'd prefer if the footswitch had a better action (umm, like a sansamp or rat or most other non-boss/dod type pedals) but still good. as far as bass pedals go, I guess most bass players are morons and can't even play their basses, much less manipulate something on the floor- just a theory as to why there aren't too many neat little guys like this Ibanez out there to purchase. as far as ALL of the bass effect stuff I've played through (pretty much everything on the market) this is a little gem shining in a puddle of crap, ie good stuff. it would be cool to make ALL of the distortion effects (od, distortion, clean) footswitchable.... but this ain't too bad. buy it for a cheap GOOD fix. two thumbs up. // 8

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2004

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Very easy to begin to use, hard to master. There are so many things you can do with this pedal, you can get a bit lost sometimes. // 8

Sound: I use a Fender Squire P-Bass, Ibanez Phat-Hed pedal, Fender Bassman 200 Combo amp. There is a little hiss on the clean channel when you boost it enough, but this is only audible if youre not playing. The OD/Distortion channels dont actually sound that good on the amp that I use (only has 1 15" speaker, the hi's get a bit lost) but I am currently saving up for a new amp (Gallien-Kreuger head/Hartke 4-10" cab) and I am sure that it will sound immensely better. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is very reliable. The only problem I have ever had with it is every once in a while (very rare) when I hit the footswitch, it wont flip on/off. I would definently use this without a backup (especially since I'm too cheap to buy a backup. However I would advise investing in a 9v AC adapter for this thing, betteries are just too unrelible for me. The thing's built like a rock, all metal case and all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of grunge/punk rock (i.e. Nirvana, Smile Empty Soul, and my band's stuff (heavy punk)). I have been playing for almost 2 years. The only thing I wished I coiuld have done with this is tried it out before I bought it, but being cheap and shopping Ebay, didnt happen. I would probably replace this if it got stolen/lost or if I shoved it up my singer's ass. // 8

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2004

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: This pedal is hard to get the sound I want out of it. It's very confusing when you first get it. You kind of get the hang of it as you use it enough. Besides the settings this pedal is great, especially for the price paid. // 8

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez SR300DX bass and an Ibanez Soundwave 100watt amp. I don't get any noise out of it unless I set it to the fretnoise setting that comes on the owners manual. The sound is always great. I can usually get the sound I want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This quality is great. The case is great. I would use it at a gig without a back-up for sure. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music and this peadl is great for all kinds of music. I've only been playing 6 months. I also own the Squier P-Bass starter pack, Yamaha for the 80's (great tone and durability), Fender acoustic, Schecter Diamond series and an Aria acoustic. Nothing is wrong with the pedal. I wish it had more of a low growling sound so I could get the sound of Chris Squire or Jack Bruce. // 10

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: MetalUpTheAss, on august 27, 2005

Sound: I'm using a Fender Frontman 15B amp (starter amp) and mostly a Fender Jazz Bass for this, and the tones I get with this pedal are amazing. Always sound good, the distortion rules but sometimes gets buzzy, but it's never noisy while playing. The attack options seem kinda useless, but with the amount of tone manipulation the pedal gives anyways, it's okay. It doesn't have true bypass, but the only loss you get is just a bit of mid-loss, which is fixable thru EQing your amp for more mids. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually use this for either metal (think Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth) and motorhead) and for clean boosts. This pedal is amazing, if it was stolen or lost I'd buy one for full price (49.99). It's got nothing I hate, and is better than all the competition for bass distortion. One final thing, this works amazingly for guitar too. // 10

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: ratbollocks, on november 07, 2005

Ease of Use: The Ibanez PD7 Phat-pedal is so easy to use. This is the first pedel and is easy to understand. It has 6 simple controls: drive, lo, high, level, clean-overdrive-dist. switch, and 3-way attack switch. // 10

Sound: Right now I'm using a load of crap - Ashton AB2, Ashton BA15, but they dont sound too bad with the pedal. Yes, it is a bit noisy, quite a lot of feed back when using overdrive and distortion. The effect is nowhere weak, if get right settings it is insane! Using overdrive and cranking up the drive by 2 thirds you can get the overdriven sound of geezers amps at the start of NIB. And I also use for Anesthesia, you can get the sound quite close, all ineed now is the wah. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is built like a brick and the controls have got a locking system to not screw up your settings. I dont think I would need another one for back up, not so long ago I did a solo with it and had no doubts of screwing up. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, hard rock and everything in between and it works fine with my style. This pedal is great, the only problem is the feed back. If it were stolen I would probably buy a new one. // 10

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: execution_666, on november 19, 2009

Ease of Use: The pedal has a few knobs on it and is a stompbox design, so it's easily set up and turned on. It also has two switches on it that I like to think of as boost switches. You can go from clean (which I see no use for seeing as you can click the pedal off to go to your clean channel), overdrive, to distortion on one Switch and set an attack level on the other. Between these features, you can get a little dirty Drive all the way to over-the-top distortion with a twist of a knob and maybe a forward of a Switch. Very easy to use. // 10

Sound: This thing sounds great. Simple as that. I use two main basses ESP/LTD B-55 and Ibanez SR300 (B-55 is my main bass). The basses go through this pedal and a Seymour Duncan Paranormal DI into the amp. I will be running a tuner (Behringer TU300) before I go through this pedal soon. The noise level is not at all bad when activated. There is the obvious sound of overdrive when you click it on, but nothing beyond. This is all true unless you have the distortion channel on along with lvel "2" attack. There is a static noise that you get so I suggest that if you play that heavy, you get a noise gate. Overall this isn't the BEST overdrive unit for bass, but for the price you CANNOT go wrong. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's made out of diecast metal. It's pretty durable. I play shows and stomp on this thing - it's fine. I do suggest you invest in an adapter. The battery does not last at all on this unit. I used a Duracell 9V on it and it was out within a week. Maybe it's my fault, but I just bought an adapter. // 9

Overall Impression: I play progressive metal with one band, hardcore with another, jazz with one more, and alt. rock with one. This thing is versatile enough for my heavier music. Just that, though. I use it to sound heavier and it does it's job. I have only one guitarist for my main bad so I'm providing rhythm along with bass and this pedal does the trick. The main pedal this is always compared to is Boss ODB-3. To me this pedal is better. It costs less and provides me with the sound that I like. I would purchase this same pedal if lost or stolen. // 9

PD7 Phat-Hed Bass Overdrive Reviewed by: BullHorn, on june 09, 2011

Purchased from: Friend

Ease of Use: It has 4 knobs (Drive, Low, High and Level). Self explanatory. It also have a button to Switch between 3 "Attack". Any setting will sound good with this pedal, it's just a matter of taste. // 8

Sound: I've been using it with Fender Precision and Jazz basses and it sounds OK in the mix. The main advantage is that you get to keep your low-end without having to pay for an expensive overdrive. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Mine is still in mint condition even though it's second hand but it doesn't feel very sturdy... // 7

Overall Impression: This pedal scored average but overall - it's worth it! For this price, if you need an overdrive but can't afford a good one, this is the bang for the buck! // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ Artcore AFS75T 9.3 Electric Guitars 07/10/2014