SB7 Synthesizer Bass Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 06/11/2005 category: Bass Effects
Ibanez: SB7 Synthesizer Bass
If you're looking for new tones or you're still smoldering with resentment against synth bass keyboard players who took your gigs in the '80s, the SB7 is the ticket.
 Ease of Use: 10
 8.9
 7.8
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SB7 Synthesizer Bass Reviewed by: Unchain, on june 11, 2005

Ease of Use: If you're looking for new tones or you're still smoldering with resentment against synth bass keyboard players who took our gigs in the '80s, the SB7 is the ticket. You've got real time feel?in other words no annoying tracking errors and delays. You can even play chords. // 10

Sound: This unit modifies the frequency, resonance and decay time (slow & fast offered) of a signal to 3 different degrees (autowah, synth 1, synth 2). That said, it works wonderfully. It can be subtle dips in tone or complete nose-dives into the world of fuzz and synth. This is a wonderful sounding and versatile pedal for any bassist looking to add some new tones. I use this with a Hartke B90 solid stae and and a Mexican Fender P-Bass with Bartloni pickup and a Leo Quan Badass II bridge. It can be noisy when the sensitivity is cranked way up, but when the Sens. is that high, noise and fuzz are usually desired. I can achieved the sounds of Timmy C. of Rage Against the Machine and his unique blast of wah (he uses two Crybaby Bass Wah's, not autowahs though). Some effects can get nagging for my kiind of music but some can be very outstanding and wonderful. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk, jazz, metal and funk. The pedal is a great match for all these genres except maybe jazz. It is a little too edgy for that. I've been playing for almost 2 years, at least three or four hours a day. I play in a band and I use a modded P-Bass, Hartke amp and I also use a Boss Chorus and Overdrive and a homebuilt delay (cost only about $23.00 compared to a DigiTech which was $213.00 at my local store). I wish I had asked if they had an AC adapter! As I've said before, this pedal eats 9-Volts. If this was lost, I might get a Crybaby bass wah instead, but only if the price was right. I chose this over a bass wah because it had many different features. I do wish it had an expression pedal input to allow manual wah to accent on certain notes and give more definition. I think this is a great pedal and one that you shouldn't be without. // 10

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ S1520 8.2 Electric Guitars 04/23/2014