Dual Bass Wah Review

manufacturer: Morley date: 04/15/2008 category: Bass Effects
Morley: Dual Bass Wah
The Dual Bass Wah combines the Pro Series II Bass Wah and NSW Switchless Wah sounds used for years by such renowned bass players as Bill Dickens, Dave Pomeroy, Rudy Sarzo and T. M. Stevens. Simply step on to engage wah and step off to go to bypass.
 Ease of Use: 9.5
 9.3
 9.5
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Dual Bass Wah Reviewed by: lost_it_again, on april 11, 2006

Purchased from: The Electric Room

Ease of Use: Well they don't come much easier than this; no silly threshhold controls and EQs to get bogged down in, just a level control which controls the over all volume level of the output. Nothing difficult to get your head round, just plug in and play. // 10

Sound: This thing sounds amazing, the traditional wah is perfect. But wait a minute, suddenly you direct your vision a little to the left and you're presented with a big button that says 'funk' on it, what does does that do? Well this magic little button completely transforms the sound of the wah and opens up a whole new world of sound, it sort of widens the frequency sweep and adds a bit more emphasis on the low end of things, this is the mode which is aimed more at the 5 string side of things which was perfect for me, I never turn this little switch off. The vibe this effect gives off is great too, it adds a new dynamic edge to slap sounds and helps to draw attention to the bass on recorded stuff, it's great if you really want the listener to notice something. It's also great if you put another effect in the signal line on and then start wahing it, for example a distortion creates a cool vocal type of sound (hard to describe it without you hearing it), or you can wah the distortion effect really slowly and it sounds like a phaser. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Morleys have a reputation of being built like nuclear bunkers and this one is no exception, the whole thing is made out of some tough metal, which makes it heavy but very strong, it's clearly built for gigging and I wouldn't even dream of taking a backup with me. Infact this thing is so tough that if I shot it with my 5.56 mm rifle I'm sure the round would just bounce off and kill someone, no joke I think it's bullet proof, so I won't be testing that little theory. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal with my band but I'm more partial to some funky slap when playing alone in my room, either way I always have this thing set in funk mode. The funk setting is actually great for metal, it really cuts through those crunching guitars and it doesn't sound out of place or anything, but if you play rock the traditional wah mode will probably be more suited to your needs. So to conclude I think the Morley is miles better than the Jim Dunlop CryBaby on sound, and lightyears better in build quality too. It is a little pricey off teh shop floor but if you hit and eBay shop like I did then you'll probably come across a bargain. // 9

Dual Bass Wah Reviewed by: blackhawk397, on april 15, 2008

Ease of Use: This may be one of the easiest pedals to use. While other pedals have complex EQ's that must be tweaked in order to get the sound you want, what you hear on this pedal is what you get. The only things that you have control over in terms of sound are the standard/funk button on the side and the level, which controls the level of 'wah' that is heard. It is incredibly easy to get a great sound out of, but the only drawback is that since it is automatic (pushing down the pedal activates it) there is a dropoff of the sound when you release the pedal entirely. This really isn't a major drawback though. // 9

Sound: I'm using a '76 Ibanez Silver Series Jazz Bass with active EMG's for the punchy funk/rock style I enjoy with an Ampeg combo amp. While I enjoy using this pedal as a single unit, it sounds the most badass when paired with even light distortion, as it almost sounds like a phaser. The sound is always great and the dropoff from the wah to regular isn't all that big of a deal. I'd compare the sound to some of Les Claypool's more funky bass lines where there is a decent amount of wah and distortion involved. In my opinion, the higher level of wah the better the quality of the sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can say that I am entirely certain that this pedal is indestructible. It's extremely heavy and built out of steel or iron, not sure which, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could be run over by a car and survive. I'd use it without a backup, but I'd either use a 9v adapter (not included) or carry a couple of 9v batteries in case since they tend to run out after a fairly short while of playing (about an hour or two). // 10

Overall Impression: If you are a bass player looking for something to crank up the funk in a song, this is probably your best bet for a reasonably priced pedal. The funk feature is awesome (opens up the range of the wah for more defined highs and lows) and the standard sounds pretty good too. The only thing I would add is a distortion button and level knob and I'd be all set for a one-pedal gig. // 10

More Morley reviews rating category latest review
+ Power Wah 8.8 Guitar Effects 03/05/2014