Bass Octave Review

review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Bass Octave Reviewed by: Lasyk, on april 24, 2009

Price paid: C$ 159.99

Purchased from: Absolute Music

Ease of Use: This stompbox by MXR is amazing in my opinion. The sound is so easy to get what you want out of it, 2 knobs make it simple to get that tone you want without all the annoying mucking about with 100 frickin' knobs that you don't know what the hell they all do. Instead of a manual it came with a slip from Dunlop explaining best ways to get tone out of the pedal, which was very indepth and very useful for me, I suggest if you find this pedal somewhere and buy it that you don't lose it. This pedal has been discontinued and replaced with the "Dunlop MXR M-288 Bass Octave Deluxe" but I still see the pedal I have at music stores all over the place. // 9

Sound: I use this stompbox with a Peavey Milestone IV 4 string bass with EMG select passive pick-ups and a 1968 Gibson SB 4 string fretless bass, both through a Peavey TNT150 bass amp. I also have used it a few times on my Washburn BadDog 30 watt amp, I suggest that if you don't have a larger amp you don't buy this pedal. The pedal puts out a note an octave LOWER than the note you play, so if you're using a small amp it most likely won't have enough low-end to put out teh note properly and it will sound like you're beating a squirrel with a rolling pin. it's dead silent through my amp and acctually cuts out the buzz from my amp. The octave is soo powerful if you use it with standard tuning or drop D at most, anything lower than drop D and it loses the tone and just makes random rumbles in the note. I don`t even know why I bought this pedal, I was bored at a music store with around 200$ so I just started fiddling with pedals and this one really stood out to me, it's fun to use for bass fills and slow backing tracks, it also works really well with funk and pop bass as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this pedal like crazy, it's tough as a brick covered in broken glass and nails, I've dropped it down a flight of stairs in an apartment building and it went down a good 3 stories and is still as strong as ever, even the knobs, neither of them popped off or even dinged up, it's just a tank! I`d use it at a gig without a back-up for sure as long as I had a plug near enough for an adaptor with an extension cord to reach. I`d bring an extra 9V battery just in case if I was using it with a battery instead of a plug. But I'm just paranoid I bet. // 10

Overall Impression: I play every style, punk, metal, rock, hardcore, some jazz, some blues, I'm getting into funk, anything I hear with a good bassline, I decide to learn, It works with anything, as longa s it's standard tuning or drop D. I've been playing for a couple of years, I also own Gibson SB 4 string fretless bass and a Peavey milestone 4 IV bass. I can`t think of anything that I should have asked, the guy at the store I was talking to about it basically showed me everything you can do with it and how to make it sound it's best and what it's best suited for. If it was lost or stolen I would most likely just buy the MXR M-288 version that's replaced this one, it has another knob to give it a bit more growl and also sounds very nice. I didn`t compare it to other octave pedals, but I did compare it to other styles, chorus, reverb, distortion, flanger, phaser, pretty much whatever I could get my grubby little hands on at the store. It serves it's purpose and I'm overall very happy with this little stomper, it's fun to use with songs that don`t even use this effect but it jsut gives it your own little flare to the song. it's just an overall great pedal. // 10

More MXR reviews rating category latest review
+ M-78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion 8.1 Guitar Effects 06/02/2014