BG250 Review

manufacturer: TC Electronic date: 02/07/2013 category: Bass Effects
TC Electronic: BG250
The BG250 is a 250watt bass combo amp, TC advertise it as a super lightweight combo with loads of features.
 Ease of Use: 7
 7.8
 8.5
review (1) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
BG250 Reviewed by: BenGriffiths, on february 07, 2013

Ease of Use: The BG250 is a 250watt bass combo amp, TC have made a good amp, they advertise it as a super lightweight combo with loads of features. The amp includes the usual gain, bass, mid, treble and master volume. However it also has a tubedrive, toneprint, built in tuner and a aux in. Getting different sounds out of it is really easy and suits everything I play, from Sex Pistols to RHCP. The tubedrive is a pretty wicked feature, it adds warmth to it and is suppose to sound like a tube amp(don't know what they sound like). Tone print is also a pretty cool idea, however it doesn't work for me! Toneprint is a built in effect that can be changed by downloading the toneprint app, choosing an effect and holding your phone to a pickup. It has worked on my mates BG250 (so it might just be mine). The built in tuner is pretty good aswell, it tunes 4 and 5 strings. The aux input is really useful I wish more amps had it. There is also a mute button on the amp, brilliant when tuning at a gig. I'm giving it a 7/10 on ease of use because even though its a great amp, it's a bit of a pain downloading the new software and tone print doesn't work. // 7

Sound: At the moment I'm using it with my Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass and my Ibanez SR305. This amp is extremely loud, when I'm practising in bedroom I can't turn it up past the number 2 on master volume. And when you do turn it up it still sounds great! Like I said before the tubedrive is a brilliant sounding effect, I always have it switched on. The BG250 suits everything, I play a lot of slap and this amp sounds wicked. I also play a lot RATM stuff, which with the tubedrive turned right up and bass it sound almost identical to Timmy C's setup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I love the BG250 but it does feel pretty flimsy. Yes the amp is extremely light but I think that's let the quality and durability down. I would use this and have used this at a gig without a backup, but a few good kicks and falls, I don't think it would last very well. It is only the outer casing of this amp that is poor, the electronics are solid as! The kick guard is really strong. Compared to other amps I have used and owned this is the 'weakest' feeling amp. But I think TC designed it like this to save weight, if your not using this outside your home it will probably last really well. // 5

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp is that it's a great sounding amp with really cool features, I do like how light it is, but I wouldn't mind it being heavier if the quality was a bit better. I bought this amp to replace my Laney RB3 60watt, the BG250 sounds 10x better but I'm pretty sure the Laney would last longer. If this amp was stolen I wouldn't get it again, not because its bad, it's a good amp, but I would rather go with a GK MB112. It is a shame that the toneprint doesn't work for me, because it would be a great thing to have.

// 7