PolyTune Review

manufacturer: TC Electronic date: 06/10/2010 category: Bass Effects
TC Electronic: PolyTune
If you are looking for a great tuner with some incredible features pick this one up.
 Ease of Use: 9
review (1) pictures (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
PolyTune Reviewed by: thejester, on june 10, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, plug in and it starts tuning. Extremely easy setup and very easy to chose what mode you want. I like the look of this and I really like the technology of this pedal which I will get into later on in the revue. This tuner has 0.5 cent tuning accuracy (good enough for live rock n' roll). If you get into the studio professionally and want to get 0.3 cent then this is not for you but if you are looking to play music in a normal environment, the non-perfect world, this will do the trick. // 9

Sound: I use this at the end of my effects chain, ie last pedal before the amp, and it works great. Being that this is a True Bypass tuner it is in the like of the Korg Pitch Black. I personally prefer the polytune for several reasons. Coming from the industry standard Boss TU-2, I stumbled upon this tuner at my local guitar shop. There have been two things I have been looking at to upgrade my sound as of late, one being true bypass. This pedal has an amazing feature that I have not seen any other stomp box have. This tuner allows you to tune all your strings at once. It has a feature where you can either hit your strings chromatically, similar to a TU-2 or strum down on all 6 strings and you are able to see if you are sharp or flat. Fantastic idea and works very well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Based on how they pack this, I was able to tell that they put a lot thought and care into the design of this tuner. It feels like it is made out of tank metal so I do not forsee any problems in terms of damage to this pedal. The footswitch is rugged as well but doesn't have as much of give as a Boss pedal would so that will take some getting used to. // 8

Overall Impression: At the end of the day if you are looking for a great tuner with some incredible features pick this one up. There were many things I considered before selling my TU-2. I did a light test, to see how bright the LED display was in sunshine. As my band plays several outdoor venues I wanted to make sure the display was visible. In comparison, the TU-2 displayed a brighter strobe light but the polytune displayed what string you were on much clearer. For me that is more important. This also has automatic detection of light settings and adjusts brightness based on how bright the room is so it should more than handle whichever venue you decide to play at. // 9

More TC Electronic reviews rating category latest review