506 II Bass Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 09/16/2008 category: Bass Effects
Zoom: 506 II Bass
Featuring a sophisticated new design, easy analog operation and nine new dedicated bass effects, the 506 II Bass takes the world's most popular compact multi-effect bass effects pedal to a new level of performance.
 Ease of Use: 6.5
 5.7
 6.7
 4.6
reviews (4) user comments vote for this gear:
506 II Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2004

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: At first it is a little difficult. You need a good 2 hours to dit down and program your own effects into the banks. The ones that came with it were garbage. Once you figure out how to work this piece of equipment, and customize all your sounds, the turnout is good. The ability to edit is there, and as stated, takes some time to master. If I was stuck on something, I consulted the manual. But to be honest, I figured out most of the product on my own. Trial and error mostly. // 6

Sound: I run it through a 200W Yorkville 2x10 combo with tweeter. Nothing dazzling, but I am getting a cabinet with head soon. I play a Spector Euro5. I have not had many problems with noise thus far. As I mentioned, you need to customize a lot of them yourself. The distortion could be better thats for sure. The quality of effects is not the best, some sound better than others. I wanna work on creating my own sound first and so far that is really fun. I want to re-create the sound of Justin Chancellor of Tool. He is an inspiration. I have not done this yet. But the rig has over 30 effetcs so I cannot see this being a big problem. There are a few different types of distortion on this unit. I can't say that I am too fond of them. I can't see myself using distortion too much, so it is not my main concern. Chorus is great: you can customize it and there are a few types to choose from. Echo and Reverb are impressive also. There is one effect on here that blew my mind! Kill me, but I cannot remember what its called. Reminds me of "The Matrix" lol. It rocks. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it for 2 weeks, so I cannot really say. I could myself using this for the Studio more than on stage. I will use it for both, but switching between effects can be difficult seeing as there are only 2 foot switches. Although the unit is Plastic, it's very durable. The bottom is metal. As of now, I only have my Chorus pedal as a backup. This is my only multi-effects processor. I would use it on stage without back-up. I would remember to bring extra AA batteries and an extra AC adapter. // 8

Overall Impression: This unit will really help me broaden my sound and make it my own. With over 30 effects, its wuite simple to find something that matches no matter what genre you consider your music to be. Playing bass for about 5 years. I own a Boss chorus pedal also. I have looked at the 506 I and the DigiTech. The DigiTech was outta my price range, and the 506 I was out dated. Good product. Not the best choice for stage if u use a lot of effects. This thing is so small! Its literally the size of 5 CD's stacked on top of one another. For the money I paid, I am not complaining too much. // 8

506 II Bass Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 29, 2005

Ease of Use: This thing is pretty straight foward. Turn the knob to select an effect and change values with the two buttons to the right. The standard effects suck, but I got some ok slap tones out of it. As a first pedal, it's a good choice to see what kind of sounds you like. // 6

Sound: Right now I'm running my jazz bass into it and then to my SWR LA15. Nothing special, I'm planning on upgrading everything. Some effects are noisy, and sometimes the thing isn't very loud. I havent been able to get an exact match on any artists, but close enough. My favorites are bill gould from FNM and Trevor Dunn from Mr Bungle. The distortion is ok, I use the edge distortion all the time, even though it's not really distorted at all. I'm not sure what you would call it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is where this thing is crap. I don't know about you but I don't think a good pedal should have to be taken apart. I had to re-solder the input and a/c connector because the original broke off. I use it gigs, because I have nothing else yet, but this is more of a practice thing. It's kinda fragile, and as I said before, unless you want to spend more money for single stomp boxes for your first effects pedal, get this, or check out DigiTech. // 2

Overall Impression: I play slap rock, and this isn't the best for that. I'm self taught playing for 3 1/2 years. I own a Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Telecaster, MXR Distortion +, DigiTech Digidelay, SWR LA15, Squier Champ15, and I just purchased a Peavey TB Raxx preamp and BBE Sonic Maximizer with 6 space rack. I love the price, hate the quality. I should have played through the DigiTech first but I had a friend who had bad luck with that one too. I wish it was metal, and wish the craftsmanship was better. // 4

506 II Bass Reviewed by: S1dewinder, on august 05, 2006

Purchased from: The Music Corner

Ease of Use: This bass effects pedal is decent, providing some basic distortion. Editing patches is confusing at first, but pays off once you figure out what to do. The manual explains things vaugely, but things just fall into place once you play around with it for a while. // 6

Sound: I use this pedal with a Squier P-Bass and a Peavey TNT 100 bass amp. The pedal itself produces lots of background noise when on heavier distortion settings. Certain effects are strong, but almost all seem to lack the sustain of a note that you would have without the pedal. Certain effects, such as gain and amp setting, are good. Others, such as Autowah and synth, are not so great. // 5

Reliability & Durability: So far, this thing seems like it would survive World War 3. Although some of the features may be lacking, it holds up very well. Playing a gig withoug a backup would be fine, so long as you have a few spare 9-volt batteries. This thing uses up tons of battery power. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk rock music. This pedal does provide a good slap-bass distortion and a good bass solo distortion. I have been playing for about 4 years with a Squier P-Bass. If this were stolen or lost, I would consider buying something else. While it works for me now, there is room for improvement. // 6

506 II Bass Reviewed by: Theflux, on september 16, 2008

Ease of Use: At first it took me half an hour to guess how to use it, didn't want to use the manual, but after that it's pretty straight forward, you turn the knob and setup the slot then go back to play and jam with it, the manual gets a lot into the effects but doesnt't quite give you the idea of how to turn it on (you insert the input cable when it has batteries). // 8

Sound: I'm currently using the pedal with a Behringer BXL450 ultrabass amp, sounds kickass, I haven't got many noise on some distortions and the ZNR (Zoom noise reducer) helps a lot on level 8 or so, some effects are weak but I found some pretty nice, I can play all Muse songs on it (if you custom the effects you get that sound) or Cannibal Corpse's Hammer smashed face, also, 36 banks to customize my own effects too is pretty neat. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can say I can depend on it, my cousin (lead guitar) bought a Line 6 Floor POD multi effects, I prefer having my pedal than those other useless effects that I know I'm never gonna use (the Line 6 thing got a lot of banks and it's heavily customizable) I love my pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play death metal, with my BC Rich bass it has a knob to make it sound like cannibal corpse, if I combine that with the pedal clean effects I can get the sound I'm looking for so yeah it's a good match, If it were stole I would buy it again along with another pedal just to try something new, my favorite effect on the pedal is the Step mod combined with some distortion at it's max, overall it's a nice pedal. // 9

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 06/09/2014