B1X Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 06/27/2012 category: Bass Effects
Zoom: B1X
This pedal is pretty awesome. You can get a good sound out of it almost without trying at all.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 5.9
reviews (3) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
B1X Reviewed by: Nasoj, on august 30, 2011

Price paid: C$ 40

Purchased from: A Friend

Ease of Use: This pedal (it's a B1X), is pretty awesome. You can get a good sound out of it almost without trying at all. For editing effects, it works, but that is't it's strongest suit. It's fairly easy to use, though. // 8

Sound: For a setup, I use either a Squier Bronco Bass, or a Godin Freeway 4. For an amp, I just use a small Traynor Bass Mate 10. I also often use a Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI 21. Some of the effects are a litte weak, but once and a while for a song, I like that. The the majority of them, though, sound well-done. Aside from my own songs, I like to play Switchfoot, Thousand Foot Krutch, and a bit of Our Lady Peace, and Matchbox 20. The distortion is alright, but almost everything else is awesome. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I got this from a friend, who left it sitting in a room collecting dust because he never used it. I dusted it and did other stuff like that, and it looks good as new. It's fairly dependable. I would use it on a gig without a backup. I've had no problms with it, and have used it almost every day for a few months. It feels a bit light and cheap to me, but I can't complain about operation. // 9

Overall Impression: This thing has a spot to put batteries in at the back, or you can just plug it in with the adapter. One of my only problems with it: I can't figure out how to turn it on with the batteries! I just plug it in anyways. But if you find out how to, please tell me how in the comment section. I play anything from alternative to hard rock to grunge to punk. Its's a good match for all of those. If it were stolen or lost, I would but another one. They are around 85 bucks new. It has some pretty funky effects that are fun to play with, but I wish it had some awesome distortion, instead of just okay. // 9

B1X Reviewed by: technoguyx, on october 05, 2011

Purchased from: Audiomusica (a big Chilean store)

Ease of Use: Like any other multieffects unit, it might seem hard to use at first, but after a quick glance at the manual, it's very easy. To edit a patch, you choose it, roll the knob in the top-left corner to pick an effect, and edit it with the value knob. Then you press "Store" to save the patch. The manual is very detailed, and explains every single function, and effect very well. The only real complaint I'd have about it is that, though you can use the expression pedal to activate or deactivate the effect it's assigned to, it takes a real hard press and it doesn't work at times. You may calibrate it, but if it's too "soft" you may, say, accidentally deactivate a wah or whammy effect while using it. // 8

Sound: You can get a decent sound out of pretty much ANY effect if you know how to use it. The only bad ones in my opinion, are the Auto-Wah and the Vox Wah (which change the sound way too much), the Ring Mod (which sounds horrible and way too loud, lacks a mix setting) and the Mono Synth (unresponsive, slow). Some other effects don't always sound good, like the ODB-3 which lacks low end - but you can get around that by changing the "Mix" value between the raw and distorted signal. Most of the simulated effects and cabs won't sound exactly like the original, but that's something you'd expect from a cheap unit. Most of the factory preset patches sound pretty mediocre, I wouldn't actually use those on a song, or live. At home, I play only with this and headphones and it sounds still great, I've even tried connecting it directly to my computer and the sound was just as good. When using it with an amp, you might find that it's pretty loud - you can turn down the master volume of the unit using the same knob you use to adjust values, while in "Play" mode. Personally, I mainly use 3 patches: My normal tone using the Hartke cab sim, a "clean lead" tone using heavy reverb and chorus and a "dirty lead" tone using the Fuzz Factory sim. I also have other patches to mess around, such as one that uses the whammy to tune the bass a fourth down, like a 5 string bass. In short, it sounds good if you use the effects right. Don't use the factory patches. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Since I got this, I've used it in every single rehearsal with my band. It's plastic encasing is actually very sturdy - I would use it in a gig, for sure. One con is actually the same one I mentioned earlier - setting effects on or off with the expression pedal doesn't always work, making that feature pretty unreliable - exactly why I don't use the pedal often. // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal is pretty good for beginners: Cheap, easy to use, versatile and sounds good. The expression pedal differentiates it from the B1 unit, and adds quite a bit of playability. It handles pretty much any kind of tone very well, I play in a metal band which covers mostly Metallica and Ozzy songs and I can get fitting tones for that, along with the Fender Rumble 100 available on the rehearsal room we rent. Before this, I only had a Behringer UZ400 which I used for a fuzzy tone, but the Fuzz Factory available in this unit is far better and less muddy. The expression pedal leaves a bit to desire, definitely you shouldn't get this just for the Wah. And you shouldn't get it for the Synth either - it's unresponsive and sounds bad. If it were stolen, I might buy another or if I had the money, buy the real effects it simulates - the sound would be better most likely. // 7

B1X Reviewed by: cricketdaft28, on june 27, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: The unit is very simple to use and get used to, the clear instruction manual is a great help. Once you get the gist of which buttons do what, you can essentially edit upto 40 patches with whatever parameters you'd like. There are a number a decent amp models and artist models, which I like to play around with to develop my own sounds. // 10

Sound: I plug this through my Behringer BXL900A amp, or right through my computer for recording. There are plenty of different sounds, but the sounds do weaken the bass signal to a significant degree, so the sounds aren't as good as many other effects (obviously, this is a cheap multi effects pedal). There is some background noise on some of the patches, but that can be easily resolved by reducing the gain in the patch. The Artist models are pretty good, with the Billy Sheehan distortion, Flea autowah and Victor Wooten patches being my personal favourites. The Amp models are decent enough, with the typical Fender, Ampeg and Hartke models etc. There are good effects that I would use frequently, and some, such as the space age patch which sound pretty cool, but in reality I wouldn't really use them! The Expression Pedal does allow control over the effect also, which is nice. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have just got this, but it does seem like a sturdy bit of equipment, with the plastic casing being fairly tough. I haven't gigged with it, although I can imagine that for those who gig regurlarly (not me), it wouldn't suffice, and something more upmarket, that has a much more sturdy design would be better. // 6

Overall Impression: I give this a 8, because although it doesn't have fantastic sound output, it is remarkably good value for money - at 59, it was the cheapest multieffects pedal on the market. For me it is perfect as I'm on a low budget and just needed something to help me get some more sounds, and thus why I would recommend it to anyone on a low budget. If it were broken or stolen I'd buy it again just because of how relatively cheap it is in comparison to other multieffects processors. It allows me to play my mainly funk, jazz style of play, with added exras. // 8

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 06/09/2014