AB2 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 01/13/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Ashton: AB2
A full scale neck with a downsized body make the AB2 a top choice if you like it light without sacrificing sound. The rosewood fingerboard gives you a warm, mellow tone and the AP pickup delivers it to the amp and makes it all happen.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.6
 Features: 7.4
 5.4
 6.8
 3.9
reviews (5) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
AB2 Reviewed by: oz_bassist, on february 13, 2006

Features: I'm not sure what year it was made in but its got 20 medium frets. Maple nech with a rosewood fretboard, passive electronics, tone and volume controls with P Bass style pickups. Finished in either black cherry red or blue. - Basswood body - Rosewood fingerboard - 20 fret maple neck - Chrome hardware - Standard bridge - Die-Cast machine heads - AP pickup - Vol/tone controls - Metal knobs. // 7

Sound: Well, I play punk rock rock and metal but it suits that style just fine. But it gets really annoying because of the buzz on the D string and when you go passed the 12 fret other than that a good bass for a beginner. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set it up pretty well but it does have fairly poor pickups so I got Fender P-Bass ones for mine. Another thing is that on mine it had a poorly cut nut and the finish on the side started to wear in the first month I had it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I give it this, it will last in a gig and I've never had to use a backup (I can't 'cause I haven't got one) the strap buttons seem to be pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: If it were stolen I wouldn't but this one due to many other better products such as an Ibanez SR100 and a Yamaha RBX170. But for beginners its all right but not as good as the Ibanez and the Yamaha. // 7

AB2 Reviewed by: pingu45, on september 02, 2008

Features: This was my first ever bass guitar. 20 frets, 34" Maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard, 4-bolt on. The body wood I'm not sure of - the website says "Solid tone wood". Whatever that means. It's finished in an ugly blue colour with chrome hardware. Pickups are Ashton Precision-bass style with active volume/tone control. Pretty average beginner specs. Came with picks, strap, VHS video on bass for beginners, a manual, cable and BA15 amp - the old one (the new packs come with a BA20). // 7

Sound: The sound is pretty much just like you'd expect a beginners' bass to sound like. It's rather dull, the tone isn't well defined. It can't match even a Squier P-Bass in terms of sound, but it's all you need if you're just starting. The sound didn't really matter to me as a new bass player. It does to me now, though. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is really high. The strings are weak. The finish is nothing special, in fact far from it. The pickups were adjusted to satisfactory position - not that it matters on a bass like this. The plastic ring on the tuning peg for the E string (where the peg is attached to the Machine Head) broke off, but the Machine Head still worked. The thing that really got me was that there seemed to be fibres sticking out from under the saddle. Turns out when I finally decided to clean it and sell it, they are the earth wires earthed to the bridge. The neck isn't straight either. Strap was flimsy // 5

Reliability & Durability: It won't withstand thrashing of any description - it's designed simply to be played at home. Strap buttons can't hold a strap. Hardware will not last, which is why there's such thing as upgrading. Definitely would not use this at a gig - which is why I upgraded. The E string got 'pulled' when I was playing once. It just stretched right out down by the saddle. This is the kind of bass you'd want Pete Wentz to smash up in a Fall Out Boy video. // 4

Overall Impression: This bass had a massive impression on me as my first axe. It made everything else look good, and sort of ignited my hunger for better quality hardware. I can't say I regret getting this bass, but in comparison to other bass guitars, it's not very good. You get what you pay for. // 5

AB2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2009

Price paid: A$ 300

Features: Something great about this bass was the amount of things it came with. I wasn't sure if I had spent most of the money on the bass, or everything else. That said, a bass under $300 ($200 US, I assume) is great. It come with an Amp. This comes with a lead, which was shocking, so I bought a proper one. It came with a case aswell, but the zips broke off within 2 days, a strap - which holds up very well, 2 allen keys which I didn't use, and the great inbuilt tuner. The tuner was oh-so helpful due to the shocking factory strings untuning themselves. Not the best, but definately worth the cheap price. // 7

Sound: I play heavy metal, and this bass is perfect for it. The sound is nice and aggressive, but holds its pitch. But whenever I played up high, It buzzed a lot - but as you press harder, it stops (except the D string). I couldn't crank up the treble/middle with the Amp, because the lead would not accept it and all I got was crackling. If the Amp was better, I might change my thoughts, but If you buy a new lead you'll be fine. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The shape was great, and a perfect size for a small person like me. But the pickups weren't too flash, the bridge was extremely mediocre, and around the headstock, the fingerboard would wear out even without playing on the first frets. The frets were nice size for pitch up until the highest frets. The worst thing by far was the loose cable input. I had to dig through my Tool shed for ours trying to find a spanner to tighten it up. It helped the Amp quality, but I had already spent the money on the good lead (not that I regret it). A cheap bass comes with cheap parts. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The Live playing is good, but you can't use it without a backup due to the faulty input. The strap buttons were GREAT. Especially with the tough and comfortable strap. Due to the other basses I ended up buying and keeping at the studio, this was just a simple bass if I was bored I would play, so I managed to use it recklessly - and it still hasn't broken anything. And lots of people complain about the finish. Yes, it stratched too easily, but it doesn't wear off. You can tell despite the cheap factor, they still tried. // 7

Overall Impression: This matches my playing, and it was my first bass - so it dates back far and it's still running okay. I just have other basses occupying it. It's not worth buying again with such a big market, because by this time, you'll have bass experience and money to buy a "proper" bass. I just love the tone, but when I plug it in to the original Amp, my smile turns upside down. I really liked the inbuilt tuner - it saved me spending 100 on another - and it gives perfect reading. I went straight for this one because I was saving up for a car so I couldn't spend too much, and because I had no experience, I didn't want to wreck a good bass. I just with it came with a tightened up input/ better lead, and better factory string! I recommend you buy it, but only as a starter bass, or a Live backup if you're on a budget. // 8

AB2 Reviewed by: *'-'*, on june 30, 2008

Features: The Ashton AB2 has a 20 fret, 34" scale, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The body from solid basswood. The fonosh on my bass is black, although I believe it is also available in blue and red. The body shape is a double cut-away design, and is considerably smaller in size than other basses of this kind, such as the P-Bass. This makes it more managable for beginners, which this bass is aimed at. The bridge is a Fender style hardtail, with four individual moving saddles. The bass features a single P-Bass style pickup with a volume and tone control. The tuners are generic no-names in a 2+2 format. // 8

Sound: I play bass across many styles ranging from blues to metal. I love the neck on this bass and playing these styles is easy on it. However, the pickup lets it down, as with most cheap guitars. I do not currently own a bass amp, and playing through a guitar amp it does sound cheap. One thing that does surprise is the lack of noise frpm the electronics. I also own an Ashton AG131 electric guitar which buzzes terribly, so it nice that the AB2 is more refined in this area. The tone control is quite bad and it jumps from high treble to high bass with no real in between. The volume suffers the same trouble, going basically from full volume to no volume. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the bass the action was just a tad high. A simple neck shim had it playing much better. As I mentioned above, the pickup is not very well set-up, but afterall, this is a cheap bass. The routing of all cavities on the bass is cleanm which is more than I can asay for other cheap instruments I've played. My bass for some reason has an upside down saddle for the g-string which means I have to losen the string considerably to adjust the action, which is annoying, but obviously noot all AB2's will have this inconveniance. Overall, it is a nicely set-up bass for the price. // 9

Reliability & Durability: My bass has not seen live playing and probably never will, however it has survived the mate I got it from who didn't take much care of it. It also survived a recent fall. The stock strap buttons were a bit on the small side, and I now use a DiMarzio clip on strap. The bass seems reliable and I'd be confident that the electronics wouldn't conk out on me during a performance, but I don't play bas at gigs. The finish is solid and even. // 8

Overall Impression: The Ashron AB2 is the best budget bass I have played, and with a bit of TLC will serve its owner for many years. I've owned the bass for a few years now, and am planning on upgrading the electronics in the near future. The electronics are the only real let down of the bass, the neck is just as nice as necks on some basses up to three times the price I paid. When I bought the bass it was because my mate was selling it and I thought a bass would be handy to have. I am glad that I made the purchase. For the price, you can't ask for much more than the AB2 provides. // 9

AB2 Reviewed by: Grimwade, on january 13, 2011

Price paid: A$ 378

Purchased from: Shire Music

Features: The Ashton AB2 Bass is an ideal choice for your first bass guitar. With a Basswood Body and Rosewood Fretboard this arch top guitar quite heavy, yet still provides comfort while playing sitting down until it cuts of your circulation. I purchase this guitar with a white finish which include the headstock presented with a black pick guard (Ska), although this bass also comes in a variety of other colour which proved a hard decision. This purchase came as a starter kit which included a Ashton BA20 20 Watt, a EXTREMELY crap strap (that broke under the weight of the guitar), a gig bag, extra strings and a few picks. Also it came installed with a tuner which was REALLY helpful for tuning while jamming at other peoples houses. // 8

Sound: I mainly play anything from Ska Punk to Post-Hardcore on this bass and with the write settings of the BA20 and strumming the pick close to the pickups I was able to achieve a satisfying Punk tone although it could be greatly improved with with the price of the Starter Set how could I complain? Yet one of the real problems is when I attempted a clean smooth tone at a high sound level (possibly the amps fault) I would get a strange shutter that was not too concerning, still I would not blame the actual bass. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall this thing was quite well put together in my opinion, although I did not examine the pickup wiring, I didn't feel that the guitar would fall apart at any time. The input jack was secured tight, as well as both the tuners and strap buttons. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Honestly with a decent amp I would take this on a gig, to be truthful I've accidentally bumped and drop this guitar (from small heights) a few times and there are know signs of damage which is awesome. The only concern I have is the finish on the neck of the guitar which seems to be chipping off slightly, although it is very minor to be exact about three 13mm x 13mm placed around the neck and I've had this guitar for 5-6 months. // 7

Overall Impression: I have been playing bass for about 6 months, although I've been playing guitar for about less than a year so some of my experience has been she'd onto bass guitar. This guitar would match smooth slow styles to heavy wall shaking basslines, but still reminding that it will give you a beginner to intermediate range in overall. If someone broke this bass and payed me the price I payed for it I would defiantly buy a different bass as I am now more experienced, showing this bass will get you through the beginner phase. Soon I will purchase an Schecter Riot 5 String Bass that wish I would of known about and saved more money for at the start then buying this, still I am happy with the choice of buying this bass and content that I brought it. // 7

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012