PJ Rosewood Review

review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
PJ Rosewood Reviewed by: Austenlml0lml, on september 14, 2012

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Kijiji

Features: This bass is awesome. I think it was made around 2010, but I got it used so I can't be sure. It has 21 frets, 34" scale, medium nickel frets, rosewood fingerboard (also available in maple), standard bolt-on Precision bass neck made from one-piece maple, basswood body, Precision bass body, passive electronics (2 volumes-one for each pickup - and one tone knob for both), Precision-styled pickup in the middle, Jazz-styled pickup in the bridge, Barracuda stock pickups, which are alright, non-locking standard tuners. // 7

Sound: This is the best bass I've ever played for under $500. Without a doubt. It perfectly replicates the P/J sound that has been made famous in punk rock if you have the tone knob up. Dial it down for a sweet, mellow, classic-rock tone. Turn off your Precision pickup and crank that tone if you want an angry, offensive tone with a lot of attack, something that will cut through even the heaviest-sounding guitars. Or put both pickups up full for a very punk sound. Lots of attack, lots of all-around decent tone. The pickups leave nothing to be desired in a bass of this price range. I have a Schecter Riot-5 and I prefer playing this. I'm putting it through a Peavey Mark-6 bass head and a Yorkville 410 cab, so there's a bit of muddiness in the low end but that's not at all because of the bass. It's quite noisy when on the J pickup, as can be expected with any single coil. Turning the tone knob all the way off or dialing back your bridge pickup volume will fix that. The P-Bass pickup isn't silent but it's not too bad. This can give you nearly any sound you want. It's a freakin' precision/jazz, remember? Classic rock and country to deathcore and black metal. It'll fit in everything. The only thing I've had a problem with is that when I get 'er into drop-C, the Jazz pickup loses some volume on the low string. But that's not a fault of the bass, that's just the pickup design. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have no idea how it was factory set up because I got it used, but when I got it it was in preem playability. It had no factory flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'd gladly gig with this thing. It's the best bass I've played for the price and I wouldn't even be too bummed if it broke - (which it won't, I'm sure. Unless I decide to smash it, which is something I would do, knowing me) I'd just buy another. The only problem I've had with it was trying to stick heavy strings on and busting the nut, which was plastic. A new one will be cheap. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and rock. I love this bass because it can cut through distorted guitars without sounding like crap. I'm been playing for almost two years, I own this bass, a Schecter Riot-5, a Peavey Mark-6 and a Yorkville 410. I most often find myself playing this bass through that amp. I was happy with the product the second I touched and played it. It felt solid and didn't scream "CRAP" when I grabbed it. If it were somehow removed from my possession, I'd do my best to reacquire one of the exact same models. I love everything about it except the somewhat-skimpy bridge and plastic nut. Compared to a Squire P/J or P bass, this thing is amazing. Those basses are crap compared to this. That's my review, get one of these if you can. I'm VERY pleased with mine. // 8

Comments