PSN Review

manufacturer: Benson date: 02/19/2013 category: Bass Guitars
Benson: PSN
I love that it is cheap and has a few accessories which is great for starting out, easily modifiable. I don't hate it because I have an emotional attachment to it, being my first bass.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.3
 7.8
reviews (3) pictures (6) 1 comment vote for this gear:
PSN Reviewed by: RockOnIt, on june 20, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Not sure when it was made or where the guitar came from, been trying to find out where but didn't really have any luck, so great start. Some of the Specs: - Has a Strat shaped Basswood body with a 3-ply pickguard, with limited access to higher frets. - A fat Maple C-shape neck finished in gloss, which is annoying in my opinion and can make playing a bit uncomfortable because of the drag. And you get a free neck dive included. - Rosewood fret board, with 20 Jumbo frets and dot position inlays. - Tone and volume knob finished in chrome. - Open gear tuner machine heads, these are surprisingly good actually don't really need to re-tune it much at all. - Passive P styled Pickup. - Includes a gig bag, strap, a weedy cable and 2 picks and a Benson GB 15watt amp, not the best obviously but its a small start. - Giving it a 4 because there isn't much that stands out and there isn't suppose to for a 80 bass, but it is good for young players or beginners who want to start playing, due to the accessories that come with the bass // 4

Sound: Metal and most of the other subgenres is my main style of music, but sometimes nothing can beat a bit of bluesy jazz or something, so the sound needs to be versatile. Which this bass isn't. Playing through a Stagg 40BA amp which isn't bad for bedroom amplifier and the sound is flat and toneless. Which I guess is okay if you like your bass to sound deep and bassy but as I said, it gives off hardly any tonal qualities. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was stupidly high, and since I didn't get any allen keys with the guitar to change the action, so it was a good job I have an Allen key set. The pickups where almost touching the strings due to the height of them so again had to be adjusted. All of these are easily fixed, but I guess if you are a begginer it can be worrying to fiddle around with your guitar. One of two of the control Knobs were loose and have actually fallen off whilst standing and playing. As for the wiring no problems at all. Yet. Picks up are very noisy if you turn the tone all the way up, what you would expect from most guitars especially with passive single coils but its is still annoying and not too great. Also it neck dives to the point where I can almost turn my pedals on and off. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has had some abuse now and it still works all fine sound wise well sounds the same as when I got it, I just use it for warming up and writing riffs, it is second to my Ibanez SR400QM. Obviously. This Bass managed to get through a gig, how I have no idea. Wouldn't recommend it without a backup but to be honest it is always best to have a backup with anything. Straps are solid, I've flung it round my head and swung it around without strap locks, probably down to my actually strap more than anything but still always nice to know the strap nut wont come loose or break. I play pretty much everyday on it, for the last 4years and there is no fret wear apart from around the Gstring 12-14 fret. The paint for a start is very easily chippable, I don't really mind the bumps and bruises since it isn't really that expensive or a pretty. // 4

Overall Impression: This doesnt't really suit any of my musical styles as I said it lacks tone and any real sweep. Been playing for 4Years, few gigs dotted around. I now own an Ibanez SR400QM and looking to buy anything bass, maybe its older brother, and I also own an 6string acoustic. I have various effect pedals, ODB-3, Big Muff Pi, and some octave pedals. If it was stolen I personally wouldn't buy it again because I have better things. Only reason why I kept this bass is to modify, like the pickups etc and it is something I can throw around without worry about it. I love that it is cheap and has a few accessories which is great for starting out, easily modifiable. I don't hate it because I have an emotional attachment to it, being my first bass and all, but it is load of rubbish compared to what I am used to now. // 3

PSN Reviewed by: kelly691380, on february 13, 2013

Purchased from: Amazon

Features: Bought my son one of these for Xmas (2012) so he can start his Rock School coarse at school. This kit was recommended by a bass playing mate (sorry... I'm a six string man), who had seen the kit up close. He informed my to buy a new Benson bass because the company had recently modified the PSN due to a dispute with Fender and they had totally given it a facelift. He told me not to expect a Precision, their will be a few buts along the way with our Far Eastern made bass, however with a few tweaks and turns with a hex key, we would have it performing respectably. Our new 20 fret basswood body buddy is finished in a nice metallic silver and black. The cut-a-way horns are slimmer than the Precision and they've seemed to have sorted out the previous drag problem. All the usual suspects are on board... Split pick up, 3 ply pick guard, chrome tone and volume, open gear machine heads etc. Everything you would expect on a budget P bass. They even throw in a 15 watt amp for under a ton. // 7

Sound: The Sound is what you would expect from a 'dip your toe in the water' budget bass. If fact, we were quite surprised at the response of the pick ups once we plugged it into my mates Ashdown MAG C115-300 EVO II. All in all, I feel that the bass offers a descent versatile tone that would suit loads of different styles of music. After all, I am reviewing a Chinese hundred quid starter piece of kit... Not a 'top of the range' American Fender Deluxe... So lets not get too anal about the matter. After a string change, it sounded fine! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When we received the bass in its bomb proof box (took us ages to get through the packaging). The booklet informed me the bass was factory set, however my 'bass playing mate' thought the action and pick ups were slightly high. Fortunately, with hex keys in hand (supplied!) we soon made the relevant adjustments and the bass was ready to go! However this could prove a little tricky for the first time novice with zero knowledge. But these days there's loads of stuff on line for the wannabe's out there. The one thing that drew my son to this bass on line, was the 'eye candy' silverburst finish... He's a proper magpie. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure this bass would be fine for school band or pub stuff... Not too sure about playing the headline slot at Glastonbury with it. We have only owned the bass for around two months, so subsequently the bass's not received too much punishment, however all in all it seems quite well made for the money we paid. Nothing's fallen off so far and it feels quite robust. This bass is purely to get my son off the starting blocks and I'm sure if he continues to practise and improve we will be upgrading in the future... Although I'm sure we will hang on to this for sentimental value and all that stuff. // 8

Overall Impression: Now for the reality check! This bass and full kit (including not too bad 15 watt amp and accessories) was purchased for slightly under one hundred pounds (all my sons own pocket money). According to the Benson website it's undergone a facelift (2011) and they've ironed out a few past problems. According to my bass playing mate, it's not the best bass he's ever played... But not he worst. However I would criticise that there's a lack of set up information inside the box to help the complete novice. Finally. For the amount of money to get you started... You won't wrong! // 7

PSN Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 19, 2013

Features: I purchased this bass in September 2012 to take to university because I did not want to risk taking my Ibanez SR300 (For Obvious reasons). I will have to be honest, my purchase was totally price driven because my dad was coughing up for this acquisition and his limit was around 100. So obviously I was very limited for choice, however I took him up on his challenge to find a playable bass for under &100 to enable me to keep my hand in between studies. When It arrived... Wow! Quite impressed with the build quality. I t had the usual s for the generic P Bass (basswood body, split pick up, chrome hard ware etc.). This recently modified model sported to very sleek double cut away, which made it look more stylish than it's contemporaries (sorry for the girlie comment!) // 8

Sound: The sound is what I would call an all rounder and definitely what you would expect for a start up beginner bass. Its not as pokey as my Ibanez but of coarse I wouldn't expect that from a bass that arrives with 15 watt amp and accessories for under 100. My flat mates boyfriend is a 'thrash head would be' bass player and he made some pretty impressive sounds out of his Ampeg 35 watt combo with Benson bass. However, I think this would be suited for more Indie pop stuff - the stuff I like to play. After we did some adjustments with the hex keys, we managed to get a lovely bright response. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I assume this is made in the far east, however I purchased from a UK based company who sent it out 'set up' however I thought they had set the action a little low for my liking, making the sound a little 'slappy'. A couple of tweaks the hex sorted it. We slightly lifted the pick ups to brighten the sound. All the chrome work was fine with no signs of corrosion. Everything seemed to be in good order when the bass arrived. However I do wish they would have removed the pick guard protective plastic cover... Its such a pain to get off! // 7

Reliability & Durability: Not Sure about live work (never done it myself). However my friends boyfriend took it to a pug gig (as a stunt guitar). He gave it a run out, (because we were in the audience) and it sounded fine (if you like thrash metal, that is). The bass as been passed around my flat mates and it seems to be quite robust. Considering that every conceivable drink as been spilt over it and numerous cigarettes have been forced into the headstock, it's held up pretty good. The Benson bass can without doubt withstand the rigours of a student flat and this is exactly why I purchased this bass. I really don't mind if anyone picks it up and plays it (except for thrash metal!) // 7

Overall Impression: I love to play 'indie' stuff and this bass can certainly pull it off. However this is definitely a great starter bass and would be highly suitable for the beginner. It will never replace my SR300, however I would highly recommend the Benson if you are looking for a second bass. It comes with a amp, slightly flimsy gig bag and all the usual accessories, you come to expect from a beginners pack. My favourite thing about this bass is the fab looking 'wildberry' finish and the fact I don't have to mole-coddle it! Thanks dad, for buying it! // 8

More Benson reviews rating category latest review
+ BGS-ETL10S 6.1 Electric Guitars 10/09/2013