CX-492 Review

7.2
 3.3
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
CX-492 Reviewed by: bluemagma, on january 17, 2008

Features: It was made in 1991-93 either in Japan or China, I couldn't find any stamp so I'm not too sure about that. It's got 21 frets which are all fairly easy to reach because of the cutaways. Not sure about type of wood. The paint is a Vintage white, so kinda creamy white right now. The finish sucks! I bought it from a friend who was the 2nd owner and the finish is completely coming off. Mostly where you might rest your hand while playing finger style but none the less. It's a P-Bass style with no pickguard. Bridge is just a solid bridge. Passive pickups in a P layout. One volume and one tone knob. Pickups are stock Charvels. // 7

Sound: Sounds ok for what I play, could be much better. I'm compairing it to basses I've played such as Gibson Thunderbirds and Musicman Stingrays. I play rock ranging from metal to the beatles. I play it through a 250 watt hybrid Trace Elliot halfstack. I sometimes use a little big muff or a crybaby with it too. It handles the muff really nice, the crybaby is an original so not as well suited for bass frequency. It's a pretty punchy tone, as you would expect from a P-Bass style bass but with my amp it's quiet as hell. Not much variety on the bass itself but the amp really changes that. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I wouldn't know how the factory setup was, when I got it it was perfect, great action, no need for any adjustments. I can't tell you how the wood looks like because I haven't seen it. Everything else was fine, for a 15 year old bass that was thrown around. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played it once live and it held up, it was only a 20 minute set though. The hardware is holding up nicely apart from one missing screw. Strap buttons are great, can be used with straplocks. The finish is once again the worst thing I've noticed so far. I had one problem with a pot coming loose and a wire ripping but it was fixed for 15$. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a good starting instrument. I've been playing bass for around a year and a half and guitar for almost 3. It suits my style of playing but only to a certain extent. If it was stolen, I wouldn't buy it again because I would most likely move up to a higher grade instrument. It's a very simple P-Bass style begginer bass. I would recommend it to a starter or someone just starting, but no one else. // 7

More Charvel reviews rating category latest review
+ Desolation DX-1 ST 8.8 Electric Guitars 02/18/2014