575XL Review

manufacturer: Charvel And Jackson date: 07/01/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Charvel And Jackson: 575XL
This is a late 80's Charvel bass. With the PJ configuration you can reach an amazing variety of sounds. Here you can find a rich, bright and with a lot of mids instrument.
 8.9
 8.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
575XL Reviewed by: MarlinGlave, on july 01, 2011

Price paid: € 400

Features: This is a late 80's Charvel bass, according to the info I had it was made in Japan with the neckplate that says fortworth TX. It has a nice 22 frets rosewood fingerboard with a thin and fast neck. Mine came in a nice shiny red gloss tint all over the body, with a PJ configuration. The headstock says "Charvel by Jackson/Charvel" but the bridge and the pickups are signed by Jackson. The elecronic consist in a passive volume, blend and tone. When I purchased it I wanted to change electronics and pickups with a solderless EMG PJ set, but right now I'm really in love with the stock ones. The only really lack is weight. This thing is really heavy! // 8

Sound: With the PJ configuration you can reach an amazing variety of sounds. Here you can find a rich, bright and with a lot of mids instrument. The bridge pickup has the classic "hiss" of older single coil (no hum canceling on this bass) but with a Noise Gate the problem is over. Love it with the Sansamp GT2 Pedal and tried it even with a Zoom B1 multieffect pedal. Just amazing for me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how it was setup from the factory. Mine came with a decent action. I went from a really high action (for drop situations) to a really low action (really fast paired with the thinner neck. Tuning pegs and bridge are ok, this thing has a lot of sustain, only flaw I found was the nut a little too low and a know that was a little loose, nothing really bad, but for a piece of wood that has 25 years it's ok. A little setup, a change of strings and this thing was ready to rock. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes, it absolutely withstand live playing and even touring. I changed the normal strap buttons with Schaller Straplocks, nothing wrong with the originals, only a precaution. This is my main bass. I was up to leave it for a 5 string, but can't find any used, so I'm up just to buy another one for rapid tuning changes (and because after this first Charvel bass I've become a Charvel addicted). // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play Metalcore (Bullet For My Valentine, A7X, Trivium, etc) and it suits my style, especially played with a pick. I started to play bass 4 years ago with a Peavey Millennium BXP then switched to this. I love every thing about this, besides the weight, that isn't really a problem for me. I can even sing when playing it. If it were stolen... Well I'm buying it again even if I alredy have one! So... Yes 100%. // 10

More Charvel And Jackson reviews rating category latest review