Artisan B5 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 06/30/2006 category: Bass Guitars
Cort: Artisan B5
This bass comes with hipshot lic. tuners and a hipshot bridge that weighs about a pound for insand sustain. The controls are master volume, pickup blend, treble cut/boost, mids cut/boost, bass cut/boost, and a mini-toggle for EQ on/off.
 8.2
 9.2
 7.1
review (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Artisan B5 Reviewed by: boogs420, on june 30, 2006

Features: The Cort Artisan B5 is the middle line bass in the Artisan series. It is Korean-made and comes stock with Barolini active pickups and a Bartolini active pre-amp. The bass comes with hipshot lic. tuners and a hipshot bridge that weighs about a pound for insand sustain. The controls are master volume, pickup blend, treble cut/boost, mids cut/boost, bass cut/boost, and a mini-toggle for EQ on/off. The body is swamp ash with a dark mahogony oil finish. The neck is a wenge with maple and it looks like mahogony stripers. The neck is a bolt on but it sill has a good amount of sustain. // 10

Sound: In my spare time I play everything from trebly punk to rage style and the Bartolini's can be EQ'd to do anything. In my band I play emo and punk and this bass can tackle it all. My only complaint is that sometimes when I haven't plugged in for a while, the active EQ takes a minute to "warm up". If I cut all the bass and mids and boost the treble I get a 60-cycle type hum from either pickup. Even with those two problems I would still give the sound a 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine new from an eBay store so I don't know if he set the bass up after the factory set-up but I haven't had to mess with the action, truss rod, etc. I haven't had to do anything to the pickups. This bass was made perfectly. The oil finish is very sensitive. I made a stratch in the wood from a pick. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the chance to gig with this bass yet but it performs flawlessly through my GK rig. The strap buttons where fairly large and I hadn't had any problems from them but within a week I put Jim Dunlop Straplocks on anyway just to be safe. When I gig, I plan to bring my fretless jazz bass just in case something would happen but I tend to be a bit too anal about those things. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from punk to ska to metal and this bass covers them all. If this bass where stolen I'd cry for a long time. Then I would trade the thief for a hit in the head with a bat. I love everything about this bass. She is my soulmate. // 10

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ VX-4V 9 Electric Guitars 07/25/2014