Curbow 4 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 02/17/2012 category: Bass Guitars
Cort: Curbow 4
It has an on and off switch for the active electronics and it has volume, bass, middle, and treble knobs. The neck is maple and modern C shaped.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 7.5
 7.4
 7.5
 7.3
reviews (2) pictures (5) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Curbow 4 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2007

Features: it was made 2005 in Korea. It has 25 frets. I got a good deal because my friend's dad actually owns Cort lol so I get good deals. It is a solid top and is made out of a material called luthite. it is solid black with a wood finish. It has an active Bartolini mk1 which gives incredible response. it has an on and off switch for the active electronics and it has volume, bass, middle, and treble knobs. The neck is maple and modern c shaped. The fretboard is Ebonol. My friend threw in a couple sets of strings. // 9

Sound: This is my third bass and it is amazing. I played in an Indie band and it did fine for that, but I don't like indie. I play a lot of metal, blues, funk, and some hip-hop and R&B. It does wonders for all of those styles. With the Switch on you can get a nice fat tone that is great for fingerpicking and use of a plectrum. the Switch off is great for slap and is even better for plectrum playing. It is completely quiet when not played, no buzzing or anything, but this baby can be loud. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The basss was perfect from the factory with only minor intonation problems on the bridge, but I got those fixed. The bridge and the top are flawless and until I banged her up a bit, the finish was immaculate. The Switch does not make any noise and the controls are put on very solidly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used this bass at a number of shows and in the praise band at my school and it does fine. The hardware doesn't look or feel like it will have problems in the next 20 years and the strap buttons are a bit small, but they do the trick. I would use it in a gig without a backup as long as I had some spare batteries for the active bart. The finish is a bit thin, but will not come off with anything short of dropping it on metal. // 8

Overall Impression: This bass seems built for me. I had an Ibanez soundgear and a ESP/LTD B-55 and this one smashes them out of the Park. If it were lost or stolen I would beat the man and then get it back or make him buy me a new one. I love the tone and the versatility of the electronics on this bass. It is very well put together and would suit very many people, but everyone is their own judge. // 9

Curbow 4 Reviewed by: thebognordave, on february 17, 2012

Purchased from: Mikes Music, Bognor Regis

Features: Made in Korea, I bought it new in 2010 so presumably it was made 2010 or 2009. The body is made from a Luthite material, it ain't wood, and the fingerboard is Ebanol, it ain't wood either, maple looking neck which is wood. Has one Bartolini pickup and a "Slap Switch" which is as eq preset overide, there are 2 micro pots on the back for adjusting overall gain and slap depth - I've never touched them. It is active so takes a 9v battery in a very easy to access hatch that holds the battery very securely. 3 Center notched eq pots and a volume. Everything works and is solid, it is well built, one negative the tiny washers on the tuning heads are weak, two of the have cracked, one I replaced, 1 I have not got round to yet, it does not really affect the playing or tuning once they have cracked and nobody but me would ever notice, if one broke mid song it will throw your tuning way out though, but they broke for me during tuning. The slap switch basically cuts out bass freqs, I don't find it very useful because it also reduces the overall volume too much for my taste, can be interesting to flick just to get a change now and again. The eq pots are subtle, you never get any dramatic changes, infact they are very subtle, hard to hear what they are doing depending on the amp set up sometimes, I leave them in the middle and make all adjustments on the Amp side for the most part. The bridge is very solid, the neck is attached very solidly, bolted on with 5 good bolts, no neckplate just straight through the body. I summary, it is a very solidly built guitar that does what it should without any fuss, just a shame that Cort used weak washers on the tuners. It is a budget bass though so I guess they bought a cheap batch. Only a 6 because I don't find the eq useful or the slap switch useful, but I bet somebody with a different style could completely disagree with me. The body is very small and that is the reason I bought it, I love the small, hard, good looking body, I also like my women this way, Overall I am not complaining I like it! // 6

Sound: I bought this guitar for home recording and have only played it through a POD X3, so I am not going to go into details here. I don't know what it sounds like cranked up on a real amp and it's true sound. I assume and would guess it sounds like a good 240 bass, nothing more and nothing less. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Excellent, not just for the money but at any price. Apart from those damn tiny washers that cracked! It is not painted the colour comes from the Luthite, it is like coloured resin. That is not a negative, I like it alot. The neck is very smooth and slim, and no rough fret ends, the fingerboard is perfect - because it is ebanol, again a type of resin I believe. Only a 6 because of the washers. I have taken the action down a little, it is not super low, if I was going to play a long set with it I would want it lower, so if you are buying it make sure the store sets it up as you want it if that is how you want it, but I am happy with it being a bit higher for the improved clarity. // 6

Reliability & Durability: In terms of build quality I would play this guitar live without hesitation. I reckon it could take a bullet and carry on, it is a solid little bastard. In fact I reckon I could bury this bastard in the garden and dig it up 5 years later and apart from changing the strings and battery it would be fine, that ebanol and luthite just seems indestructible and I think you could hang an elephant off the neck even though it is very slim. Battery life is good. I give it 9 because it feels so damn solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar for home recording only, I am a guitarist who needed a bass for home recording. I wanted a small bass, not scale length wise, but overall. And this is perfect, it does not take up a lot of space on a stand, or hanging on a wall, and is very comfortable to play sitting down, whilst trying to control a PC and keyboard at the same time. As I have said the eq does not really do much, and the slap switch is kind of luke warm for my taste. But since I am going into a POD X3 I can make all my sounds in that, I just need a nice comfy bass to play on that will not get in my way and I can drop on the floor when I have to get another beer. This does the job perfectly. However, and this could be a big however for other home recordists. It does have a noticeable hiss, it is not an earth hum, I think it is something to do with the active electronics, I am not saying it is a show stopper, if you are super fussy, like I am, you will notice it, so if you want crystal clear signal straight out the bass - watch out for this. It has enough positives that I will carry on using it, it does not kill me, and if are playing in a band you will never ever notice it, I am talking about a hiss you can hear on the bass in isolation that exists momentarily after a note dies off that you can hear if you listen carefully. I did not notice in the shop! Only much later upon intensive listening, of course now it is the only thing I hear. It is a budget bass after all and I guess the noise level would be comparable most other active basses in this price bracket. // 6

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ VX-4V 9 Electric Guitars 07/25/2014