Curbow 6 Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 12/04/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Cort: Curbow 6
The Curbow series are a stunning new design and new materials concept bass developed in collaboration with Greg Curbow. It features a Luthite body and an active Bartolini system with built-in boosts that yield a balanced punchy tonethat is easy to manipulate.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.7
 9.7
 7.6
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Curbow 6 Reviewed by: hhr, on july 30, 2007

Features: I bought this bass (the 6 string version w/ a hardshell case) used about 5 years ago, so I'm not sure on the year/origin. It has 25 frets and the body is made of luthite. The neck is made of maple and extends all the way to the pickup and is bolt-on (5 bolts). It has active EQ and a contour Switch that lets you boost or cut the mids and highs (there are fine tuners on the back of the guitar). Bartolini pickup. // 10

Sound: I usually play rock and metal music, but I bought this guitar because I played in a jazz band during high school and this guitar was perfect for that. The extended range made soloing a breeze. At the time I played through an Ampeg combo, but I play on my Genz Benz amp and it sounds great. With the Active EQ and the contour Switch, you can dial in many different sounds with this bass. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said, I bought this bass used so there were a few flaws, mostly cosmetic. There is a chip of the finish missing where the previous owner had dropped the bass! And apparently it is difficult to fix finish on luthite so I have just let it be because a refinish job would be way too expensive for what I paid for the bass. All in all, a killer looking/playing 6 string. // 10

Reliability & Durability: All of the times I've used it Live, I've never had a problem with it. The only complaint I have is with the battery compartment for the active EQ, you gotta have a Phillips screwdriver handy to change batteries as opposed to those pop-off battery doors. The strap buttons are solid and the finish looks great (except for the chipped spot). I have gigged on it without a backup many times with no problems, just remember to check your batteries/unplug the bass when not in use. // 10

Overall Impression: Usually play rock and metal, but this is one of those basses that can be used for almost any kind of music, thanks to the active EQ. I have been playing bass for 8 years now and I own a few other basses (Dean ML, Fender 5 string, Rogue fretless, Genz Benz amp). If it were lost/stolen, I would consider another 6-string in this price range, but only if it had the active EQ as well. I just think these guitars look cool, and with the high cutaway upper strings/frets are easy to play. Overall, money well spent in my opinion and a very nice 6-string bass. // 10

Curbow 6 Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 04, 2008

Purchased from: Local Shop

Features: I've owned this bass for probably 6 years now, I bought it when I was in high school. It was my first 6-string bass and I picked it up at a local guitar shop. The body is made out of luthite, the neck is made of maple, and the fingerboard is made of ebanol. There are a few finishes available, but since I bought mine used I got the red. The body has a smaller lower horn, to allow easy access to the higher frets. The electronics are active, with a single Bartonlini pickup; and volume, treble cut, mid boost/cut and bass boost/cut knobs. there's also a 'slap' Switch on the front that allows you to boost bass and midrange (there are fine adjustment knobs on the rear of the bass). Tuners are arranged in a 3+3 fashion. // 10

Sound: This bass is suitable for every music style imaginable. I've used this bass with many amps including a Genz Benz combo and an Ampeg SVT, no effects. The bass is not noisy at all and with the onboard EQ you can dial in about any sound you want. The slap switch allows you to get a more boosted midrange/cut bass sound with the flip of a switch. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The bass was setup well when I got it. The finish looks very good from the factory. The only thing I will complain about, is the luthite body. It's fairly light, but it also allows the paint to chip VERY easily. A few years ago I noticed a chip in the finish, which may have been my fault... but it seems like the thing has gotten worse at a more accelerated rate than my other guitars. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar stands up to Live playing well. The hardware is all pretty solid, including the strap buttons. You can depend on this bass, if you replace your battery before the show! This thing is hell on batteries. And the battery compartment is a pain too, you have to use a screwdriver to open it, so you can't really replace a battery quickly if it dies during a show. I took mine off. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from punk to metal. This bass will work for just about everything. I've been playing for a little over 10 years now and I've owned many different basses over that time. Overall, I'm very impressed with this one. If this were lost or stolen, I would definitely consider another one. I like the sounds of this bass, and the feel of the neck. I don't really care for the battery compartment! // 10

More Cort reviews rating category latest review
+ Source 8.5 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014