Dano 63' Long Scale Review

manufacturer: Danelectro date: 09/20/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Danelectro: Dano 63' Long Scale
It was made in China, serial number 019881. It has 24 frets, a C-shaped neck, maple neck with a black matte finish on it, and a rosewood fretboard.
 8.2
 9.2
 7.1
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Dano 63' Long Scale Reviewed by: bman10030, on september 20, 2008

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I am reviewing a 2008 Danelectro Dano 63' Long Scale bass. It was made in China, serial number 019881. It has 24 frets, a C-shaped neck (I believe), Maple neck with a black matte finish on it, and a rosewood fretboard. The body is either a masonite or a basswood (different sites seem to think/say different things) top and back, with a hollow plywood frame. The finish is matte, and comes in three colors. Either black, aqua, or red burst. I was going to get aqua, but I feel it looks stupid because the neck finish is black, and the side has a creamy white colored vinyl binding that fills most of the side, and it looks kind of stupid. The bridge is a string-thru bridge, pretty nice in my opinion, nothing too fancy, but definitely a solid and quality bridge. Passive alnico lipstick tube pickups, also brushed aluminum, amazing pickups. You are given a simple volume and tone paired with a 3-way setup, simple, but so versatile. The tuners are Danelectro, the same as on the guitar model, which I find pretty cool, despite how I love the huge clover tuners on Fenders and other basses. No accessories were included. The nut is made of some kind of metal and has an interesting way of being held on. Instead of being glued on like the typical nut, a little ledge was routed connecting the headstock to the neck and the nut is screwed on. I think this is kind of cool. The features are top notch, with the exception of some odd finish spots that wipe off, but nevertheless are a nuisance. For $300, you are getting some great stuff. // 9

Sound: It can get a wide variety of sounds. And by wide, I mean wide. The bridge pickup has a somewhat scooped midrange, really quacky high end, very "squacky" type of tone, even with the tone knob all the way down. This is good for hard finger playing, like flea, and an overall thinner tone for whatever application. The neck pickup is warm and dark, so punk bass lines are great. With the tone knob down, it's very good for rocky, and isn't muddy. The middle position is a great mix, a HUGE midrange, full, dark tone. A good example of the sound would be if you listen to the beginning of the song "Lounge Act" by Nirvana, it has a bass intro that sounds like this tone. All the settings offer great slap tones, and each have differences so you can get a different sound out of each. Either way, very versatile, I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do, I haven't had it long enough to really experiment. I'm running this through a Fender Rumble 15 practice amp, not the best rig, but I've seen worse, and the fact that every ounce of tone can be squeezed out of this 7 pound tone monster even when it's played through a lower end rig is pretty great. It has single coils, so expect a little noise, but I barely noticed it at all. In fact, I didn't until I thought about it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was pretty good, I like to have a set up but it doesn't need to be PERFECT, as long as I can play it and it is fairly to my specs I'm fine. This was actually quite close to perfection to my action, and worked fine. Intonation requires removal of the string, but fortunately, it was intonated fine. The action is medium low. Nothing was misaligned, the only problem was some little finish spots on the neck. There were about 3 of these tiny smudges, but they scratch/wipe right off. The tone pot was loose, and the nut (not the nut of the bridge, the nut securing the pot) size is smaller than the ones on my other guitars, but I just popped off the knob and used my pliers to tighten it. Problem solved. The neck finish feels great, when I got the bass it was cold and the neck felt like it was made of brushed aluminum. I'll give this a 9 just because of the finish, the loose nut is nothing big for amateur luthiers like me, though they might freak out the norm. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't know much about durability. It seems pretty solid. I will gig with my P Bass as a backup, and for that distinctive P Bass sound. The finish seems prone to scratches, but should hold up. Everything is firmly put together, and nothing is loose. The headstock is tiny, and kind of concerns me, but that isn't too big of a problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I wanted to get a used Music Man Sterling for $1000, but instead I got this because I played my godfathers Vintage 59 DCs and decided I'd take a chance. And because I had no money. This bass was exactly what I wanted, great craftsmanship, and an amazing value for a beginner or a virtuoso all the same. Forget the price, buy this bass! // 10

More Danelectro reviews rating category latest review
+ '59 DC-12 7.7 Electric Guitars 10/30/2014